Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by countrynaturals Today at 11:55 am

» Sweet Potatoes
by countrynaturals Today at 11:42 am

» California's Drought
by trolleydriver Today at 10:38 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by Kelejan Today at 8:00 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 7:51 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:46 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» Areogardening
by brianj555 Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 4:03 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:32 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/13/2017, 7:43 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 6:03 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:15 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 12/11/2017, 2:40 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Manchester S.F.G

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Manchester S.F.G

Post  Colin.B on 5/31/2010, 12:09 pm

Hi all wasn't sure where to introduce myself so thought i'd do it here . My names Colin and i've been a long term lurker and reader of the forum .I'd been wanting to grow veggies wit my kids for many years and decided now was the time as the house i,m now in has a huge back garden .

The main problem was it was overgrown and covered in weeds and one was the dreaded horse tail weed which by all accounts is hard to remove , also after checking the soil it wasn't that good and was very clay like . I was going to call it a day and just flag the lot until i by chance fell on this S.F.G thing and once i'd had a read figured this ones for me . Firstly i don't have to worry about the ground because i'm using raised beds and also its dig free so that makes it even more of a joy to do for both myself and the kids .

Up to now i've built the boxes 3 x 4ft by 10ft (yes they're big lol) and i've been out and bought the book which is a superb read , and now i'm about to clear the area before covering it with weed membrane to hold the blighters back for a while .There loads of other plaans and as i sort it i will show you how i'm getting on and hopefully next year i should be all up and ready to grow some veggies .

I suppose i''ll have loads of questions and this is probably the best place to get the answers i need ,but for now i have just one . Whilst reading i have seen mention ofputting hay under the Mels mix and was wondering what reason this is done ,but aalso i wanted to know if i could also use recycled shredded paper instead of hay .I know its probably a daft question ,but i dont understand what purpose the hay has if used so this is why i wanted to know about paper oh and due to the fact i shred a lot of it so would be a good way to recycle it back into the ground .

Anyways thanks to whoever for creating a superb forum and i hope to enjoy my time here as well as learn a thing or two

Colin.B

Male Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Manchester S.F.G

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/31/2010, 1:26 pm

Welcome, Colin. It's lovely to hear from someone else in the UK. We have several members from there. I don't remember anything in the book about using hay under the Mel's mix. It would serve no purpose at all and introduce weeds. Or did you perhaps read something on this forum about using hay? Again, I can't see any reason for it unless it is to build up a very deep box. But there are better things for that. Shredded paper makes a good compost ingredient, and if you start keeping composing worms, they really love shredded paper. But I'd suggest you not use it directly into the gardening beds -- it has a tendency to mat down and might prevent water and nutrients reaching the plants.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin.B on 5/31/2010, 1:39 pm

Yes i think it was used to raise a bed now you mention it , but i like the idea of using worms to compost it .As i'm new to all this could you give me a little help on what i do because i have no idea when it comes to composting correctly and when you mentioned composting worms my mind went blank lol .

If theres a place on here alternatively then that would be great so i could get these worms to work asap , also probably a sllly question but are these different to normal worms and if so where do i get them . As i say i'm a total beginner so any help would be recieved with thanks

Colin.B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 5/31/2010, 3:24 pm

Hi, Colin -- welcome to the forum! I'm LaFee, a Yank living just outside Paris, but I'm the Regional Host for Europe (yes, we Colonials consider England to be a part of Yurrip) Is Manchester SFG anything like Manchester FC?

The Hay mention might have been suggested to augment compost...just a guess.

Here's a link to a terrific thread about compost, which includes some awesome links:

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/compost-101-t1738.htm?highlight=compost

I've just bought a compost bin from our local waste-management firm - a very nice wooden one that I think will work extremely well for us...you might want to check with your council, as many do have a reduced-price (and sometimes even free!) programme to help people compost instead of putting things out on the kerb.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/31/2010, 8:17 pm

Composting worms are a different kind than ordinary earthworms -- they are called red wigglers here in the States. There is a long thread on the forum about making worm compost -- just search for "wiggler hilton".

I know nothing about this company, but here's a link in the UK:
http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/acatalog/Composting_Worms__Tiger_worm_mix_.html

At least reading the information on their site might give you an idea of using composting worms. They also have a section about using earthworms directly in the garden.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell on 5/31/2010, 8:41 pm

Welcome to SFG and the Forum Colin. Glad to have you. Very Happy
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.timwardell.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin.B on 6/1/2010, 10:11 am

Well i've got to reading the links and theres loads of really useful stuff there that should get me on my way ,so i'll start with the wormery i think and get one built . I'll be sure to get some pictures of it when it's done too .So thanks guys for the help i'm sure i'll have plenty of lovely compost real soon

Colin.B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum