Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sprouted Onion Question
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 6:21 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 2:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

Post  Paintedlady on 6/1/2010, 11:02 am

We just got our trellises built yesterday and hung the netting on 2 of them so far. Because the plants aren't yet big enough to grow up the trellis, I'm concerned that birds might fly into the netting. My neighbor has a mama bird on the nest with several baby birds and I'm worried she may fly into it. I've hung towels over the top bar to hopefully keep them from flying into it but I'm not crazy about how it looks. Any other ideas besides the towels? Anyone ever have a problem with birds flying into the netting? Here's some pics.

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

Post  mckr3441 on 6/1/2010, 11:39 am

Carrie, we worried about the same thing! But so far no problem. Our "netting" looks white against the bushes and fence behind it. Your's is right out in the open -- by the way, I love your painted boxes!

Could you hang some streamers on the netting that would wave in the breeze? Could get silver ones from Michaels Craft Store if you have a Michaels near you. Check out gift wrapping decorations at any store.

You might even want to leave them on when the veggies come up since you have such a fun garden.

Claire

mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/1/2010, 1:05 pm

@mckr3441 wrote:Carrie, we worried about the same thing! But so far no problem. Our "netting" looks white against the bushes and fence behind it. Your's is right out in the open -- by the way, I love your painted boxes!

Could you hang some streamers on the netting that would wave in the breeze? Could get silver ones from Michaels Craft Store if you have a Michaels near you. Check out gift wrapping decorations at any store.

You might even want to leave them on when the veggies come up since you have such a fun garden.

Claire

Well I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems. My netting is green and it's very hard to see, even when you know it's there. I LOVE the idea of the streamers! Silver ones would reflect the light too. I'll look into that for sure. Thank you!

And thanks for the compliment on the boxes. Our whole family has really gotten into the who SFG, which is nice b/c it started out as my baby, but now it "belongs" to all of us. The kids & I even go out slug/caterpillar hunting every night with flashlights. They love it!

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dmpower on 6/1/2010, 4:33 pm

After placing my trellises, I thought they looked like a bird / bat trap waiting to happen. I put some pieces of straw, string, whatever was close by through some of the squares, just to make them more noticeable. There was never any problem - I probably overreacted. I even made a couple of my trellises expandable. They can be raised as the vines start to climb higher. Does the word overkill enter your vocabulary as much as it does mine? lol
I think we should give the birds a little more credit myself

dmpower

Female Posts : 82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/1/2010, 4:54 pm

@dmpower wrote:After placing my trellises, I thought they looked like a bird / bat trap waiting to happen. I put some pieces of straw, string, whatever was close by through some of the squares, just to make them more noticeable. There was never any problem - I probably overreacted. I even made a couple of my trellises expandable. They can be raised as the vines start to climb higher. Does the word overkill enter your vocabulary as much as it does mine? lol
I think we should give the birds a little more credit myself

You sound like me! I probably wouldn't have thought of it if that mama bird wasn't flying over my head 10 times an hour looking for worms for her babies.

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix on 6/2/2010, 1:40 am

I would be more worried about them getting in the garden than tangled in the netting. The holes on the netting are to big for them to get tangled in. My mom raises birds and you would amazed at how smart they are.

Birds have great eye sight. They don't get tangled in the power lines or in fences. Your trellises look great and those boxes are wonderful on the eyes.

chexmix

Female Posts : 92

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 on 6/2/2010, 1:48 am

I love those boxes, they're awesome.

We've had quite the variety of birds at our house lately: finches, mourning doves, quail humming birds, and some yellow bird that I only saw a streak of. None of them have had problems with the netting.

Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jtwenting on 6/2/2010, 3:32 am

When I was a kid we used to make streamers out of tin foil. Cheap, shiny, and effective.
Used to scare the birds away from the young strawberries until they were large enough for the rabbits to feed on

jtwenting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

birds in netting

Post  ander217 on 6/2/2010, 7:40 am

We were having problems with birds eating our cherries so we purchased a bird net from Lowes and threw it over the tree. I happily watched as the cherries ripened under the netting. Then I went to pick the cherries one morning and saw a dead bird - I think it was a wren - dangling from the netting, its head caught in the small holes.

So yes, it does happen. I won't be able to eat a single cherry without thinking of that poor dead wren, and hoping desperately it didn't have a nest of babies somewhere.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/2/2010, 10:34 am

@chexmix wrote:I would be more worried about them getting in the garden than tangled in the netting. The holes on the netting are to big for them to get tangled in. My mom raises birds and you would amazed at how smart they are.

Birds have great eye sight. They don't get tangled in the power lines or in fences. Your trellises look great and those boxes are wonderful on the eyes.

I didn't know I should be worried about birds in the garden. Great, something else to obsess about. I appreciate the compliments as well!

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/2/2010, 10:35 am

@Kabaju42 wrote:I love those boxes, they're awesome.

We've had quite the variety of birds at our house lately: finches, mourning doves, quail humming birds, and some yellow bird that I only saw a streak of. None of them have had problems with the netting.

I'm really glad to hear this from everyone! Do birds fly at night much? That's when I really worry.

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/2/2010, 10:37 am

@jtwenting wrote:When I was a kid we used to make streamers out of tin foil. Cheap, shiny, and effective.
Used to scare the birds away from the young strawberries until they were large enough for the rabbits to feed on

Hey now, tinfoil! That would be super easy (too lazy to go to store right now for steamers) and cheap too!

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/2/2010, 10:39 am

@ander217 wrote:We were having problems with birds eating our cherries so we purchased a bird net from Lowes and threw it over the tree. I happily watched as the cherries ripened under the netting. Then I went to pick the cherries one morning and saw a dead bird - I think it was a wren - dangling from the netting, its head caught in the small holes.

So yes, it does happen. I won't be able to eat a single cherry without thinking of that poor dead wren, and hoping desperately it didn't have a nest of babies somewhere.

Oh how sad. I'm sorry to hear that!

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Birds in the garden

Post  ander217 on 6/2/2010, 3:35 pm

[quote="Paintedlady
I didn't know I should be worried about birds in the garden. quote]

It depends on what the birds are doing. If they are swooping down and eating "bad" insects and worms they are very welcome in my garden. If they are pulling up my corn shoots and eating the seed off the bottom, they are most unwelcome!

I set out many feeders in the winter, and I'm sure the birds think my garden is just the summer buffet location. I don't mind sharing as long as they are willing to share with me, too, but they will completely strip my cherry trees if I don't do something about them. However, I won't use the bird netting next year. Maybe the aluminum foil strips will work.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum