Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:07 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:01 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Remind me again, which veggies like coffee?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  jkdistad on 6/4/2010, 11:55 am

I'm a coffee drinker, and every day for the last few weeks I've been saving the used coffee grounds from my espresso pot... Which veggies benefit from the grounds, and how exactly do I use them?

here is what I have planted...

Box 1:
Cabbage
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Romaine Lettuce
Sugarsnap Peas

Box 2:
Carrots
Onions
Leeks
Chives
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Purple Kohlrabi

Box 3:
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Parsnips
Swiss Chard
Bell Peppers
Pole Beans
Romaine Lettuce

Box 4:
Tomatoes
Basil
Yellow Summer Squash
Zucchini

I also have three potted herbs:
Mint
Spearmint
Stevia

So, which ones like a cup-o-joe, and do I just use it like mulch around the base of the plants? If so, how big should the plants be? And based on osmosis, won't every plant in the box end up getting a bit of it, at least?

Sorry so many questions...! Thanks in advance!

jkdistad

Female Posts : 69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Remind me again, which veggies like coffee?

Post  mckr3441 on 6/4/2010, 12:16 pm

I'm sure others will have specific answers for you. I just use the grounds in my compost pile. I look forward to the responses here since I may be able to make more immediate use of the grounds.

Claire

mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane on 6/4/2010, 2:40 pm

COFFEE GROUNDS There is also another good article out there I have to find for you too

milaneyjane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda on 6/4/2010, 3:05 pm

I don't have a complete list but I know lettuce and beans like the extra nitrogen. I have heard that some vegetables (like tomatoes) grow less fruit and more leaves with too much nitrogen in the soil. I just use them on my beans and leafy vegetables for now.

Shoda

Female Posts : 439

View user profile http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 6/4/2010, 3:22 pm

Tomatoes love coffee grounds (and crushed egg shells) sprinkled around the base. I have never applied more than ½ inch of grounds. If you find out how thick they can be applied, please let me know. Good luck!

happycamper

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad on 6/4/2010, 5:12 pm

Huh... interesting.... Thanks for posting that article, milaneyjane. Maybe I'll just save the grounds and work them into my MM late this fall when I put my boxes to bed for the winter....

Anybody else have any words of wisdom, advice or experience?

I don't currently have a compost pile... should probably get one going, but just haven't figured out the best set-up yet.... Once again, anybody have any words of wisdom, advice or experience with simple/inexpensive composting that they'd care to share? I have 5 young (read energetic, curious) kids, so my set-up would need to be something other than an inviting pile to climb on... LOL

jkdistad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 6/4/2010, 7:24 pm

@jkdistad wrote:
I don't currently have a compost pile... should probably get one going, but just haven't figured out the best set-up yet.... Once again, anybody have any words of wisdom, advice or experience with simple/inexpensive composting that they'd care to share? I have 5 young (read energetic, curious) kids, so my set-up would need to be something other than an inviting pile to climb on... LOL

Composting is easy to start. If you have a lot of space such as on a farm, just start a pile. Smile On the farm I grew up on, the compost pile was 8-10 feet tall. For something a bit smaller, you could get some used wood pallets and make boxes with them, or use stakes and make a loose box with some chicken wire -- I did that when I lived in California and it worked very well. (Or you could buy one of those fancy plastic bins.) Ideally compost should be rotated. What I did with the chicken-wire pile was turn it over with a pitchfork every week, or more often if I remembered, and a couple times a season I would add a purchased sack of cow manure to help it along.

Don't put meat/bones, fat, or dairy in a compost pile, and I would not put dog or cat poo in there either. Or any weeds/etc. that you don't want to sprout up later on in your beds.

Now having told you all that, I will blow the whistle on myself. We bought one of those big plastic bins because hubby was concerned about what the neighbors would think of an open pile in our backyard, which is what I'd wanted. So I put him in charge of it and gave him buckets of stuff to "feed" it with last year. This spring, I went to get some nice compost for my sfg, and what do I find? Absolutely dry leaves, big sticks and branches jammed in, etc. Apparently he forgot about watering it, breaking larger twigs down like I asked him, etc., and I don't want to know what happened to the vegetable/yard waste I asked him to take out there. Entirely my fault, I know. *sigh* Rolling Eyes

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane on 6/4/2010, 10:08 pm

I am starting to collect coffee grounds by the bucket from the local coffee shop and this fall I am going to amend the row garden by tilling in the coffee grounds and leaves into the soil.

milaneyjane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 6/4/2010, 10:50 pm

It's interesting you asked this b/c I had been adding grounds every couple of days to all of my boxes for the last couple of weeks, but apparently forgot one. Some of my tomatoes in that box were looking bad compared to the others, as well as a few other plants looking a bit smaller than the same plants in other boxes. I started to wonder what was wrong b/c I used the same mix in all of them. The only thing I could think of was that I didn't add coffee grounds to this box. I added them tonight and I'm anxious to see if it perks them up over the next week or two. *crossing fingers* I'll let you know what happens.

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower on 6/4/2010, 10:52 pm

@Paintedlady wrote:....if it perks them up ....

darn funny

I'm collecting coffee grounds too, but have just been adding them to my compost. Tomorrow morning, my tomatoes get some java!

Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad on 6/5/2010, 12:46 am

Thanks folks... this has got me thinking in lots of different directions! the gears they are a-grindin'!

Megan, I live in a suburb of the Twin Cities, with neighbors on two sides, and I have 5 young kids.... so, no open piles for me! I do have lots of scrap chicken wire and some of those green plastic coated posts/stakes I could use, or maybe I'll see if my local grocery store will give/sell some pallets.... If I go this route, do I just make the bins 3 sided, leaving the front open? Or do you put some sort of "front" on it? Also, do you have 2 or 3 bins for moving the compost along as it further decomposes? Boy, I'm just a barrel full of questions, aren't I? LOL!

jkdistad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 6/5/2010, 7:36 am

@jkdistad wrote: I do have lots of scrap chicken wire and some of those green plastic coated posts/stakes I could use, or maybe I'll see if my local grocery store will give/sell some pallets.... If I go this route, do I just make the bins 3 sided, leaving the front open? Or do you put some sort of "front" on it? Also, do you have 2 or 3 bins for moving the compost along as it further decomposes? Boy, I'm just a barrel full of questions, aren't I? LOL!

The answer is "Yes" Very Happy

You can make the bins 4-sided (a box) or 3-sided with an open front, which is easier access. In limited space you might want to try 4-sided, simply because it allows the compost to pile deeper (as opposed to sloping off to one side). If you attach the fronts with some thought (maybe a few twists of wire?) you could make them removable.

If you search a bit on the web you will find set ups with multiple bins to move the compost along. Or you could just stir/turn it. The chicken wire one I made was probably not optimal, but it worked fine for what I wanted it to do. It backed onto a wood fence in a partly shady area, and was about 5 ft x 2-1/2 ft. Because it was big it filled slowly, but it was easy to get a pitchfork in there and move things around.

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner on 6/5/2010, 8:59 am

coffee grounds will lower the ph in the soil but it can take up to 2-4 weeks to see the results.

So far I've used them only on the berry plants, nothing is helping the darn blueberry soil. I can get it to 6 pm and sometimes 5.5 but that's it. Still trying.

aspiegardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/5/2010, 9:40 am

Good post for learning, thanks all. I have nothing to add (my coffee goes to the compost too). It's just that every time this comes to the top of the "Latest Topics" I see the title and think, "My veggies LOVE tea.....but not any kind of tea I would ever sip"

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum