Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:51 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 1:39 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 1:36 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:29 am

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:52 am

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:35 am

» Shallots, Prisma
by trolleydriver Today at 9:16 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:08 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by rajmahendra Today at 5:29 am

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson Today at 3:50 am

» Mason bees
by rajmahendra Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 10/19/2016, 2:15 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/18/2016, 11:17 am

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

» mason bees-for 2015
by has55 10/18/2016, 6:20 am

» The Research Journey:Connecting the dots with Soil & Diverse Cover Crops
by has55 10/18/2016, 12:06 am

» Cinnamon Pickles
by yolos 10/17/2016, 11:31 pm

» who has chickens
by Ginger Blue 10/17/2016, 9:16 pm

» Lemon Grass
by Mimi2 10/17/2016, 12:28 pm

» MUSIC: Classical
by Kelejan 10/16/2016, 8:25 pm

Search SFG Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  jkdistad on 6/14/2010, 3:12 pm

Okay, I've had it with the Mourning Doves! I have a resident pair who apparently think I've created my garden JUST for their benefit! They are bold too.... I've had them come visiting while I'm IN my garden working! They will land just feet away from me, and strut around as if they own the place! I think they are responsible for the loss of my cucumber seedlings (the cukes were just poking their little heads out of the MM when their little lives were cut short ), and for the damage some of my beans sustained. One of my little Lemon Boy tomatoes (about the size of a marble has peck/bite marks on it. I'm always finding Bell Pepper buds (some pre-bloom, some tiny peppers) on the ground. My bamboo grid is often all askew. Seriously, they are driving me NUTS! I'm going to restart my cukes inside and plant them out when they no longer have a tasty looking seed attached. I'll do the same with my watermelon, pumpkins, squash and brussel sprouts. Can anybody tell me if any of these crops don't fair so well when transplanted? I hope they all do okay, cuz I think it's my only recourse... otherwise I'm just going to have a very fat pair of Mourning Doves instead of veggies! Aaaack!

Also something keeps getting into my garden and taking huge hunks out of my kohlrabi leaves... they took a bit of spinach, and several carrot leaves (which are just starting to fill out! ). One lettuce head that was filling out quite nicely got munched as well. And a couple of my leeks fell prey as well. Yesterday, we discovered a breach in the fence (it came un-stapled along one post), so that may have let in a rabbit or two, but I fixed that yesterday afternoon, and yet this morning, the spinach looks worse than it did yesterday! AaaaaaRrrrrGggggHhhhh! Other than that one gap yesterday, which only existed between Saturday and Sunday afternoon, I can find absolutely no other entry points along my fence line... unless I have a jackalope that leaping over the fence....!

Female Posts : 69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Birds = GRRRRRRR!

Post  MeyerLemon on 6/14/2010, 3:28 pm

Two words: Bird Netting!

I bought a bunch from my local nursery. It is black and you can barely see it once you get close to the plants. You can just drape it over the top of your plant supports, and it works great!

I have 3 trellises of blackberries, so you can imagine my bird problem! Once the netting went up, I haven't had any other problems.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plb on 6/16/2010, 3:21 am

Bird netting is very useful. Something else you could try (it seems to work for me) is to put a few plastic snakes near your plants. I read somewhere that they scare birds off very effectively, even if they're not "credible". I did that, and it might be a coincidence by I haven't had any bird damage despite the fact that I have plenty of woodpigeons nesting a few yards away - and those tend to cause a lot of damage in my area.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad on 6/17/2010, 11:47 am

so, is bird netting the same stuff that they call "Deer Guard"? I went to Menards last night and that's what the guy pointed to when I asked for bird netting. It is very thin, black netting, and the holes were about 1/2 in. x 1/2 in.

Female Posts : 69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum