Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Modesto, Central Valley, CA...

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Great idea

Post  ander217 on 1/15/2011, 5:00 pm

I like it! Thanks for passing along that idea, Jumiclads. good idea

I wonder if that would be enough to frighten deer, rabbits, or groundhogs away? Hmm...

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Modesto, Central Valley, CA...

Post  PNG_Grandma on 1/15/2011, 5:07 pm

I think it's a GREAT idea too...and I'm nearly falling off my chair with giggles at the visual in my head of one of our gardeners who likes to be out before dawn!!! rofl

PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 292
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/15/2011, 5:15 pm

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads on 1/15/2011, 5:18 pm

@ander217 wrote:I wonder if that would be enough to frighten deer, rabbits, or groundhogs away? Hmm...

Well I think Camprn has answered that question well enough.

jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/15/2011, 5:22 pm

@jumiclads wrote:
@ander217 wrote:I wonder if that would be enough to frighten deer, rabbits, or groundhogs away? Hmm...

Well I think Camprn has answered that question well enough.
LOL, I'm all about visual learning. What a Face

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy on 1/15/2011, 9:18 pm

Great idea, I love it !

outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips on 1/16/2011, 11:19 pm

rofl funny post lol! darn funny

CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 778

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma on 1/17/2011, 7:48 pm

Well, I did it! I just ordered the Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler...should arrive by the end of next week. I can hardly wait to set it up and see what happens! Oooooohhhh, I've got the giggliest giggles going on right now just thinking of what might happen!!! Twisted Evil

I'm really hoping there will be some way to attach a timer to the battery so we can have it turn on and off at dusk and dawn. Maybe I'll have to invest in a water timer and attach that to the hose that will attach to the Scarecrow. Hmmm, this could get complicated! OK all you engineers out there...help me out here and I promise I'll post pics of the funnies that are sure to happen in the garden!

PNG_Grandma

Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

we started building the greenhouse!

Post  PNG_Grandma on 2/4/2011, 1:31 pm

Yesterday morning we started building our greenhouse! Finally!! We had sunshine (almost blinded us!) all day and the temp got up to 59...Yahooie!

Our neighbor and fellow gardener Ralph helped out all day and I'll tell you ... even with the VERY detailed instructions for building this 6' x 8' Snap & Grow kit from Home Depot...it still took us until 4pm to get the frames put together and some of the window panels in place. Well, almost 2 hours was sorting and inventorying the jillions of parts! Then we had neighbors stopping by off and on asking if we were building a "dog house" for Al!!

After the inventory we realized we had a broken part so I called the maker of the greenhouse (Palram in PA) to discuss the broken part and a few missing screws (which they are shipping immediately, FREE!) and Frank, the really nice guy on the phone said to take it one step at a time, don't skip steps, working on it kinda like building with Legos. I know how to do that...with 3 small grandsons I know all about those Legos!

I'll post pics this evening after we complete (?) the greenhouse today. Well, as complete as we can until we receive the replacement part.

This is soooo exciting! hyper

PNG_Grandma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greenhouse progress!

Post  PNG_Grandma on 2/5/2011, 1:21 pm

Here are the pics of day one of Greenhouse Construction...
The first couple of hours we spent doing inventory. The boxes are filled with all the jillion parts!

The work finally begins. That rubber mallet was pretty handy!

Some of the parts were hard to find, even with our carefully sorted baggies!

This is hard work! One of those parts fell and hit me in the face...ouch!

Two hours later...you can see the shadows on the ground...we're tired!

Seems the ground is not level and tweaking the frame. Grrrrr...

We decided to quit for the day. It was 4:30pm and we had started just before 10am with one very short lunch break. We were all getting a bit grouchy and it was time to stop and regroup in the morning. Some of the panels are in place, others just refuse to slide in the grooves. By shimming under the bottom frame we can make them work. The key is to work on a level surface!

Friday, 03 Feb 2011...here we go again!
Because the side walls of the Greenhouse are so short, and we have some tall gardeners, we decided to make a foundation. After a short discussion Ralph said he knew of some blocks available. A quick check with Management and we were on our way!

Ralph used his fun golf cart (many of the residents here in our park have these to use in the park instead of wasting gas in our cars) and he and Al made a few trips collecting the blocks needed for the foundation.

Ralph's golf cart, with the cute fuzzy dice, got a work out hauling these blocks!

...and so did Al and Ralph!

So the foundation begins...

...and of course the existing pad is not level!

Stress sets in as the concrete sets up! This is very rapid drying stuff!

Al is still worried but it's 5pm and time to stop for the day, a very long day!

That was the end of the second day. This morning Al and Ralph are out there making frames to hold the blocks and concrete in place. The foundation will be fine, I have no doubt about that...but what a hassle working on stuff that other people did wrong in the first place! Why in the world the previous owners of this lot would have poured pads for sheds that were that far off...we just don't know!

A few more details about that block foundation. Al and Ralph made a trip to Home Depot for the concrete, some rebar, and some L-bolts. They drilled into the existing pad and pounded some short pieces of the re-bar into those holes which were inside the openings of the blocks...this pinned the blocks in place. The guys then poured some concrete into the holes to keep everything together. At about every 6th opening in the blocks a bolt was held in place as the guys poured concrete into that hole too. This L-bolt will be used to come up through the 2x6 wood plank that will cover the tops of the blocks. This will keep stuff from falling into the holes and block much of the air coming in through the blocks. The wood will be our anchor when the bottom frame of the greenhouse is attached. Yes, a whole lot more complicated method than just setting the greenhouse frame on the ground, but this will prevent any lifting with winds, and allow for our taller gardeners to work easily.
More to follow!

PNG_Grandma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/5/2011, 1:32 pm

I'm tired from just reading this!!! WHEW.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

PGN Grandma and those in my area

Post  mrsfish94 on 2/5/2011, 9:44 pm

Hello there! I'm new to SFG and am starting my garden this year. I have grown a garden before...just not a Square foot one. I was thrilled to find a local square foot gardener. Your plots look wonderful and Wohoo! on the green house!!!

I wanted to ask, is it to early to start my seeds? Or am I too late on some. I did plant some potatoes last week.

I have started the following:

tomatoes
bell peppers
turnips
beets
Romaine lettuce
carrots
broccoli

Is there another really good veggie I should try? I'm open to try new and unusual veggies.

Thanks for any help!
Susan

mrsfish94

Female Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma on 2/5/2011, 11:07 pm

Hey Susan!
Take a look at the list I posted in another thread...you'll see a link to a great site where you can find tons of stuff to plant in our area. Great to have another "local" gardener". Here's the link
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t4965-what-to-plant-in-northern-california-and-central-valley-areas

Also, if you're in the Modesto area please feel free to come on by and see our gorgeous Apollo Garden! The greenhouse is almost finished and the gardeners are anxious to start using it. PM me for the exact address.
sunny

PNG_Grandma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma on 2/5/2011, 11:13 pm

@FarmerValerie wrote:I'm tired from just reading this!!! WHEW.

...yeah, we're tired tonight too. Al and I were putting the last panels in the greenhouse as some of our neighbors walked by and commented on how much time we spend out there in the garden. Yes we do!! We love it, but yes, we're sure tired by the time the sun goes down!

How many more days until ????

PNG_Grandma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrsfish94 on 2/6/2011, 7:33 pm

Thanks for that link! What a wonderful resource. Can you believe our weather today? I've been sitting outside most of the day. Until...of course... the ball game started. I don't watch football but, I do like all the dumb commercials...HAHAHA

mrsfish94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma on 2/10/2011, 2:28 pm

@mrsfish94 wrote: Can you believe our weather today?

I LOVE the weather we're having but it looks like a new set of storms coming in next week...at least we'll get the rain we need!

Right after we set the greenhouse down on the foundation and bolted it to the planks, the wind started. We had really tough gusts through the night and at one point I kept insisting Al go out and check. He's such a sweetheart...after midnight, in his pj's and slippers he went out to check...yep, it was still standing and OK. Whew! I had visions of the panels blown over the fence to the neighbor's yard.

Now to get the shelves built and installed and we can start seedlings!

PNG_Grandma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

working on my garden today!

Post  mrsfish94 on 2/10/2011, 8:53 pm

I am so glad your green house didn't fall over...LOL!!! That would be very disappointing.

I have been out in the garden today. I have a 16 foot by 7 foot flower bed that I'm turning into my SFG. It's going to have (3) 4X4 planters and (3) 2X4 planters. I got half done today...and plan to finish the rest tomorrow. I want to get it done before the rain comes. I'm using pavers to separate the areas. When I'm done I'll post before and after photos.

As for seedlings, they are on a folding table in my living room. I take the trays outside during the day and bring them in at night. I have beet seedlings, a few turnips, one Romaine lettuce and a few of my tomatoes are coming up.

Do you think it's too late for broccoli?

mrsfish94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SGF before and after

Post  mrsfish94 on 2/11/2011, 10:08 pm

I am so exhausted. I hand tilled the rest of the flower bed and put down the pavers. My legs and hands hurt.

As promised here are my before and afters.

Before

After

What do you think?

mrsfish94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 2/11/2011, 11:16 pm

Looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see the boxes.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrsfish94 on 2/12/2011, 9:55 pm

Thanks!!!

I wasn't going to make raised boxes. I was just going to plant straight in the ground. I know boxes are better. But, the light hits the back wall of our house and really warms up our soil. (it's completely south facing) Especially, in the summer.

I figured I've give this a try...If it doesn't work...I'll make raised boxes next year.

mrsfish94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 2/12/2011, 10:32 pm

@mrsfish94 wrote:Thanks!!!

I wasn't going to make raised boxes. I was just going to plant straight in the ground. I know boxes are better. But, the light hits the back wall of our house and really warms up our soil. (it's completely south facing) Especially, in the summer.

I figured I've give this a try...If it doesn't work...I'll make raised boxes next year.

Are you going to use mel's mix or any other improved soil? One of the beauties of the raised bed and MM is the wonderful looseness of it. The main thing is once the soil is loose not to walk on it but you seem to have that covered. Good luck.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrsfish94 on 2/12/2011, 10:47 pm

Oh yes! I did add an organic soil amendment before I tilled the ground. I plan on adding something more to the top before I add my seedlings/seeds. Something to keep it from drying out so fast because of all the reflected heat.

I used a weed block on my garden last year and it kept my garden soil moist. But I can't really use that with SFG. Or can I?

What is your opinion?

mrsfish94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/13/2011, 5:01 pm

WOW, those look great.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 2/24/2011, 9:10 am

This is an amazing thread! I am so excited about what you have been able to do there, what you have in store for the future, and what I am going to try to accomplish in my little yard along with you this year! Now, if only the snow would go away...

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rain Rain...go away!

Post  mrsfish94 on 3/20/2011, 10:20 pm

It's raining...it's windy... I just planted my Heirloom Tomatoes...and I pray they are going to make it.

I'm ready for our spring!

mrsfish94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: