Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I have NO patience

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have NO patience

Post  mckr3441 on 6/28/2010, 11:48 am

When does broccoli become broccoli? I have leaves on three plants that are about 15" high and sitting there. Well, not just sitting there -- every day one more leaf at the bottom of the plant turns yellow and dies. No signs of any broccoli yet. One plant is only inches high. It was a seedling from an early indoor start just like the other three.

The scallions and chive, directly planted on May 28 and emerged by June 7, are tiny thin hairs a couple of inches high. The nasturtium, planted on May 31 are two inches high and sitting. The dill the same.

Now the bad news: by big tomato plant has blossom drop! No tomatoes! Probably because I added some blood meal and fish oil earlier on because nothing was growing. And the blossom on the pepper plant fell of in last evenings storm!

My other flowers are doing well . Except for the calendula . It looks like lettuce but no sign of flowers yet. They've been up since May 5.

My topic says I have NO patience but actually, I'm really discouraged! I have everything but the kitchen sink in my Mel's Mix. Can you have too much variety?

Please cheer me up.

Claire

mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Not sure I can help...

Post  middlemamma on 6/28/2010, 1:22 pm

but I am in the same boat with ya! Rowing right along with you down the stream!

It's Almost July and all I have harvested is some radishes. I have sunflowers growing but no flowers yet, zuchini that hasnt even gotton to the trellis yet and cukes with just one leaf besides the seed leaves. Sad Our June was so wet and rainy and cloudy with no sun everything is behind. Im not sure I will end up with anything this year...I have replanted 3 times due to frosts that were just really late. I have 5 little teeny tiny tomatos coming in on one of 4 tomato plants...and not even a flower in sight on the other 3 plants. All my pepper plants look very sad because it just hasnt warmed up to to their liking yet.

Praying things take off and we get some harvest before the fall gets here. Smile

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I have NO patience

Post  Blackrose on 6/28/2010, 1:43 pm

I feel your pain Claire! My broccoli is doing the exact same thing. I actually have one broccoli plant that is about half that size!

I think we have just been getting way too much rain and not enough sun. Hopefully everything will catch up as the summer goes on.

I think I'm going to start checking real estate listings around where Josh lives. If it's his expertise that makes his garden do so well, I want to learn from him. If it's the area, I want to be near him.

Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 6/28/2010, 2:38 pm

Hi Claire! One of my broccolis is in the same boat. It was on the east side of the peas and just never went anywhere. I pulled the peas on Saturday, so maybe I will get something off that broccoli now.

At the moment, everything is in limbo. Most things seem to be growing, but nothing is ready to harvest. I'm most excited about the biggest watermelon. It's up to the 2nd rung on it's ladder. The biggest fruit on it is about the size of a golf ball. Woo hoo! The roma tomato has tons of fruit, but it's the only one so far. My peppers are doing nothing.

We will go down to the garden tonite if it isn't raining after work. And it's supposed to be cooler and less humid this week, so maybe I can get the pumpkin bed put together. I'm still hoping for Thanksgiving pies from my garden!

I've also noticed this weekend that the honey bees have disappeared. I have tons of carpenter bees, but the honeys must have gone on vacation.

Cheer up - having a sad garden is still better than no garden at all. Keep on keeping on. I got a lot of my encouragement from you in the beginning, so I know you can do it, too!!

n.

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 6/28/2010, 3:10 pm

I hear ya, Claire. Last year I could do no wrong. I could have planted cheese and grown a cow! This year, I can't grow radishes, and my squash and cuke seeds are rotting in the ground.

Aren't we lucky our mere survival doesn't depend on our gardens?!

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog on 6/28/2010, 3:53 pm

my broccoli did similarly - so i finally just pulled it and diced up the stalk and leaves and served it as broccoli salad - just had no florets, lol shh the family never commented - just ate it happily alongside me!

i think it got too warm too fast for the broccoli this year. last year, i was harvesting broccoli heads right now.

but what do i know. this is my second year sfg. . .

happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC on 6/28/2010, 6:22 pm

I did broccoli the last two years and it was SO FRUSTRATING, waiting for it to make food. All those leaves and nothing to eat for so long! and then, suddenly, there's the head, and if I didn't check it every day (by then the excitement wore off and I wasn't checking every day), it flowered super fast. so, just be patient. Soon you'll have fresh broccoli.

Dig deep and find patience. Your work will bear fruit soon. It takes time for the dirt to magically turn into edible yummies!!! Even if some of your flowers fell off, more will still come. Those plants WANT to reproduce. They don't know you're just going to eat their babies!!

Here's a pic of a garden that I planted and forgot about (didn't forget, but went out of town and it had to fend for itself for a couple months).

had I been here, I would have had tons of tomatoes and lots of broccoli.

PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

View user profile http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 on 6/30/2010, 12:23 pm

PeggyC, maybe I should go out of town! My DH says I pay too much daily attention.

Thank you everybody for the encouragement. I thought I would pull that darn tomato but I guess I’ll leave it for awhile and see. Betty Ann I didn’t know the broccoli leaves and stems were edible. If the bottom leaves don’t stop falling off, stems are all we’re going to have to eat.

Nancy, I can’t believe you pulled your peas already. Did you have a harvest? We’ve had less than a dozen peas and I’m still hoping.

Jennie and Blackrose, it’s hard to keep the faith with a summer like this. Isn’t it?

You all know I am such an advocate of SFG. I know it works. Although I only grew flowers in the SFG last year it was a testimony to the power of this soil. So my veggie trial is disappointing. I’m reading the book The Talent Code (nothing to do with gardening) but stresses learning from your mistakes. I think my mistake was having personal expectations that did not take into account Mother Nature’s plans. “Okay Mother, it’s in your hands”! Stay tuned. And thank you bunches SFG pals for commiserating with me.

Steve, we all my have to survive on stone soup with broccoli stalks.

Claire

mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog on 6/30/2010, 5:48 pm

claire the whole thing on broccoli is edible! Smile

if you dice it up (food processor it) it's not tough either - even though the stalk can be real big. . .

it's what i did last year after i was done harvesting several crops of broccoli from each plant. turned everything but the roots into salad. yum.

bettyann

ps i think we've been taught to waste a lot of 'good' food because of age in grocery store. this is not the situation from home harvest. - we harvest and use it w/in minutes most cases so no time for anything to have to be cut off. . .it's been enlightening to me how much i have to waste on produce from the store because it's all old and dry looking on the edges. . .

happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 on 6/30/2010, 8:39 pm

BettyAnn, No Kidding??? Who would have thought! Well, at least my stone soup will have some crunchies in it!

Thanks for the info, though. You know I'm going to try it.

Claire

mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: