Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:25 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:20 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 9:19 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:15 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:33 pm

by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:28 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:22 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A quilter's garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A quilter's garden

Post  junequilt on 6/30/2010, 6:16 pm

So many of you have posted photos of your wonderful gardens, I thought I'd take and post a few. The file size is too large to put in the Gallery, so I'm going to try the "host an image" feature.

These are our four 4x4 square foot boxes. As you can see, one is still under construction. The others are planted mostly with tomatoes, peppers, onion, and tomatillos. Some areas are draped with red plastic mulch to combat soilborne fugus diseases, just in case the nastly little beasties should try to creep from the ground up into the mix.
So far, we have not had disease problems, but I am knocking wood as I write this! Since we are heavily planted with solanaceous crops this year, I'm figuring on sweet corn next year.

We also have four 2x4 boxes. Here's one with cukes, basil, Italian flat-leaf parsley, Egyptian walking onions, and garlic chives.

These are mystery tomatoes we grew from seed. The seeds came from a friend's mother who has grown this variety from saved seeds for so long, she doesn't remember what they are. She thinks they're indeterminate, but I'm beginning to wonder since they're so heavily fruited. We just call them Mom's Tomatoes.

Here's one of my assistant gardeners -- of the smaller canine persuasion -- sitting down on the job. (He doesn't have cataracts. The flash went off and I haven't been able to get rid of the glare.)

Water garden #1. You can't really see any water because it's so full of water iris and waterlilies. Time to divide! Oh, and that's a trailing rosemary in front.

Rainbow peppers in one of the 4x4 boxes. They mature from purple to orange to red and are thick-walled and luscious.

Water garden #2. Just a mudpuddle planted with creeping Jenny and some reeds, but insect predators love it! They also love the creeping thyme planted behind (right background).

Water garden #3. This is above-ground in a half whisky barrel-like planter. My assistant gardeners of the larger canine persuasion like to drink from this one.

In-ground Malabar spinach climbing a trellis arch, accompanied by a voluteer coreopsis.
Last night DH made a stunningly wonderful salad. We'd run out of lettuce, so he used Malabar spinach leaves combined with chopped sweet basil, grape tomatoes, bell pepper, shredded mozzarella, and ripe olives. All was drizzled with vinaigrette.

Sweet banana peppers.

Red wiggler skyscraper, originally marketed as a composter. It was a total loss for hot composting but makes a great worm bin.

The composting area, three side-by-side bins.
This is nothing more than green plastic-covered welded wire fencing and fence posts. A little falls through the fencing, but not enough to signify. It probably cost a total of $30 to build and undoubtedly will outlast us! You can't see much of the space around it, but that's where we collect materials to be used in building compost piles. DH had just cleaned out last season's compost. You can see the beginning of a new pile in the center bin.

All for now!

junequilt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A quilter's garden

Post  Megan on 6/30/2010, 6:53 pm

Wow, absolutely beautiful! I so miss having a pond. Also... where did you find the red mulch?

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 6/30/2010, 6:59 pm

LOVELY!!!!

your spinach, how big will it get?

chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 6/30/2010, 7:37 pm

OOOhhh I love the pics - thanks for the garden tour; it's gorgeous!!

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot on 6/30/2010, 8:33 pm

Very nice! I wish I had that much land to do that much stuff spread out! I'm having to plan, plan, plan, and plan some more to get all my beds that I want to act as a fence so it doesn't creep into our tiny yard. Jealous!

kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

View user profile http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/30/2010, 11:27 pm

junequilt....Great garden. I love your compost area. I have one of those barrels that need turning by hand (but no crank handle) but its not near large enough for my needs. I'm going to have to improvise elsewhere. I like your idea.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady on 7/1/2010, 12:21 am

Your garden is wonderful, and I'm in full tomato envy. Thanks for sharing with us!

Paintedlady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 7/1/2010, 12:28 am

Thanks for sharing - very nice. Gorgeous.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug on 7/1/2010, 7:36 am

I'm loving this vining spinach!!! Never seen or heard of such a thing. Can you tell us a bit about it? LOVE spinach....Gorgeous garden.

silverbug

Female Posts : 185

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 7/1/2010, 8:33 am

Your garden looks so good !! I love that compost pile !! I drive around and I see folks gardens and go awwww and my sons say there she goes again another garden Smile So I said awww about your garden and they didnt hear me Smile You have done a nice job !!

Moms Tomatoes

Those tomatoes look like some I have, but mine were given to me by a neighbor. She has blessed with a few surprise plants. She forgot what seeds she had started. I have creole tomatoes, green zebra from her. Let me show you the ones I have like yours. I really think these might be creole tomatoes.

Unknown Heirloom

I will take some more pictures in daylight and we can compare leaves better. And when they are ripe if you post a picture I can show them to my neighbor she might know Smile

I love having surprise plants, I was hoping this plant was black cherry tomatoes, but it could be another plant she gave me Smile I am taking pictures for July's update today. I will add the zebras in there too.
Happy Gardening Folks !!!
Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for all your wonderful comments!

Post  junequilt on 7/1/2010, 2:10 pm

It means so much to get feedback from other gardeners. I really treasure this forum! Let me see if I can answer a few questions.

Megan, I mail-ordered the red plastic mulch from Gardens Alive. Also, you probably can't see it in the photo of the 4x4 beds, but in the center bed I used red tomato watering trays from Park Seed. I love both the mulch and the trays.

Regarding Malabar spinach, one vine has already reached the top of our eight-foot trellis arch, and it's only the beginning of July! Malabar isn't actually spinach, but it tastes exactly the same. It's a Southern spinach-lover's answer to prayer because it loves heat and humidity, pests ignore it, and I've never known it to catch any kind of fungus or disease. It's beautiful and tastes great. Malabar is very frost-tender, so the slightest hint of frost kills it. Once planted, however, it will seed itself prolifically and you'll probably never have to buy seeds again.

Paintedlady, I have never before had tomatoes like this. We invested in square foot gardening because we could hardly ever get in-ground tomatoes to (a) thrive, (b) bear, or (c) survive due to the disease that runs rampant in our native soil -- possibly a combination of early blight and septoria leaf spot. I can't tell you how thrilled we are that FINALLY we can have healthy, productive tomato plants, and it's all due to square foot gardening. Thank you, Mel!

That really does look like the same tomato, Hav-v-v! The leaves on mine have a tendency to curl, but it hasn't affected their growth or productivity. I noticed this morning that one of the tomatoes is beginning to show hints of ripening. Can't wait for the first taste!

junequilt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum