Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Kansas Hillbilly Backyard Garden 2013
by slimbolen99 Today at 6:08 am

» Wiggler Hilton
by Kelejan Today at 3:14 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 2:23 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 1:56 am

» Compost: Bekeley 18 day [hot] method
by sanderson Today at 1:52 am

» Unfortunately, tonight officially ends the 2014 outdoor growing season for me.
by meatburner Today at 12:36 am

» Greetings from Southwestern New Hampshire
by chestnutmare Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Garlic beds
by llama momma Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» New England October 2014
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» My Garden: New and Improved
by Marc Iverson Yesterday at 2:08 pm

» October Rutabagas
by Turan Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» moved our beds
by llama momma Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Newbie in Las Vegas, year 1!
by brainchasm Yesterday at 1:43 am

» Are you a hottie?
by Turan Yesterday at 1:21 am

» Please check your forum time display
by Yardslave 10/30/2014, 9:23 pm

» 2014 SFG in Brooks, GA
by yolos 10/30/2014, 7:38 pm

» POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum?
by floyd1440 10/30/2014, 7:26 pm

» Bed 3 modification ?
by jimmy cee 10/30/2014, 11:10 am

» The Lazy Gardener
by Goosegirl 10/29/2014, 7:24 pm

» Roots...information....
by sanderson 10/28/2014, 10:03 pm

» Gardening in England
by plantoid 10/28/2014, 6:11 pm

» who has chickens
by cricket 10/28/2014, 5:08 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic - Garlic
by sanderson 10/28/2014, 1:39 am

» Friday Rookie Topics 2012
by walshevak 10/27/2014, 8:47 pm

» Howdy
by AtlantaMarie 10/27/2014, 4:05 pm

» Other Gardening Books!
by camprn 10/27/2014, 12:23 pm

» COMPOST 101
by camprn 10/27/2014, 12:20 pm

» Are you seeing bees?
by camprn 10/27/2014, 12:17 pm

» PNW: October 2014
by Marc Iverson 10/27/2014, 3:17 am

» Just starting SFG!
by AtlantaMarie 10/26/2014, 11:38 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mature Beans

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mature Beans

Post  Chopper on 7/1/2010, 8:02 pm

I have green, yellow and black beans growing and a vacation around the corner. The seeds of the black beans are meant to mature on the vine, but were I unable to pick the yellow or green beans at the right time and the seeds matured in the pod, is there any reason I could not dry them and use them the same as any other dried bean?

Chopper

Female Posts: 2463

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mature Beans

Post  kimbertangleknot on 7/1/2010, 8:07 pm

I don't see why not. I'm sure they might not taste as yummy as the lesser mature pod, but that's nothing that a little bacon grease, fat back, salt, or anything else can't fix. Smile

kimbertangleknot

Female Posts: 274

View user profile http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/1/2010, 8:22 pm

I'm very glad this subject came up. If you want dry beans, how long do you leave them on the plant? I have black and lima beans growing, the packet says black ones can be used as snap or dry. I am clueless.... Very Happy

Megan

Female Posts: 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 7/1/2010, 9:19 pm

Found re: black beans:

"Harvest your beans after the pods have dried completely and the beans
have turned black. (If you pick a few and find the beans are still
white and the pods are moist, allow them to dry further before
harvesting the rest.) When they’re ready for picking, crack open the
pods to remove the beans, and spread them on a flat surface to dry for
another day or two. After that, place the beans in a container in a
cool, dry place and use as needed."

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Dried beans?

Post  ander217 on 7/2/2010, 9:17 am

Yes, you can use your beans in both the shelly or dried stages.

I was just discussing this with Megan in a private mail - why does no one mention using beans in the shelly stage anymore? When bean seeds fully develop in the pods, but haven't yet dried, they are in the shelly stage. At that point if they are cooked they have a wonderful flavor. They can also be blanched and frozen.(Remember to boil bean seeds for a minimum of ten minutes to destroy the lectin - especially red kidney beans which contain it in toxic amounts.)

For me, eating fresh shelly beans versus dried beans is akin to eating fresh sweet corn in the milk stage versus allowing it to dry on the cob before cooking. There is just no comparison in flavor.

We have traditionally picked our beans when most of the pods are in the shelly stage. The few that have gone on to the dried stage are threshed and stored for dried beans, but the majority of the harvest is used in the fresh stage.

I urge all of you to try some shelly beans this year, whether it be fresh limas, dragon's tongue, black beans, wren's egg, improved horticulture, great northern, or just about any other variety you can name, even snap beans that get away from you and produce large seeds. Field peas are best when shelled fresh,too, IMO - we had our first mess of shelly Purple Hull Peas last night - they were SO good.

ander217

Female Posts: 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/2/2010, 10:18 am

ander217 wrote:Yes, you can use your beans in both the shelly or dried stages.

I was just discussing this with Megan in a private mail - why does no one mention using beans in the shelly stage anymore? When bean seeds fully develop in the pods, but haven't yet dried, they are in the shelly stage. At that point if they are cooked they have a wonderful flavor. They can also be blanched and frozen.(Remember to boil bean seeds for a minimum of ten minutes to destroy the lectin - especially red kidney beans which contain it in toxic amounts.)

Ander,

I never knew you could eat beans that way. Smile Growing up, we had string beans, fresh or froze those we couldn't eat right away.

Going to have to try some shellys!

Megan

Back to top Go down

Shelly beans

Post  ander217 on 7/2/2010, 12:25 pm

Maybe it's a Southern thing. In the grocery stores here you can buy cans of beans that are labeled "Shelly Beans with Snaps" and consist of green bean seeds that grew to the shelly stage and are canned with a few snap beans added for extra color and flavor.

The old-fashioned way to cook shelly beans is to add a little salt and bacon grease, or cut up some bacon, ham, or other smoked meat in them, bring to a ten-minute boil, and then reduce to a simmer until the beans are tender. It doesn't take them long to cook in the shelly stage. You can always season them with olive oil instead, or cook them in broth, etc. if you don't want to use bacon grease or meat.

ander217

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/2/2010, 12:37 pm

ander217 wrote:Maybe it's a Southern thing.

Maybe so? I grew up in New Hampshire and Maine, and I never heard of shelly beans until this forum! Thanks for the recipe... how long until tender after the 10 minutes, usually?
thanks

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 7/2/2010, 3:59 pm

ander217 wrote:Maybe it's a Southern thing...
The old-fashioned way to cook shelly beans is to add a little salt and bacon grease, or cut up some bacon, ham, or other smoked meat in them, bring to a ten-minute boil, and then reduce to a simmer until the beans are tender. It doesn't take them long to cook in the shelly stage. You can always season them with olive oil instead, or cook them in broth, etc. if you don't want to use bacon grease or meat.

Oh yeah, olive oil is equivalent to bacon grease! LOL. I am going to try the southern version first before going to the more healthful version. I just bought bacon for BLTs (leaving out the L) and will save some for that. Sounds like a meal.

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/2/2010, 4:09 pm

Chopper wrote:Oh yeah, olive oil is equivalent to bacon grease! LOL. I am going to try the southern version first before going to the more healthful version. I just bought bacon for BLTs (leaving out the L) and will save some for that. Sounds like a meal.

I am going to have to make some bread for our first BLTs!

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 on 7/3/2010, 8:12 am

Chopper wrote:Oh yeah, olive oil is equivalent to bacon grease! LOL. I am going to try the southern version first before going to the more healthful version. I just bought bacon for BLTs (leaving out the L) and will save some for that. Sounds like a meal.

It's not a meal until you add some cornbread. Make sure you add enough cooking water to the beans to have plenty of soup left to soak into the cornbread. I usually barely cover mine with water, but you can add more if it looks like too much is cooking away.

Okra's always good with fresh shellies, too. I lay a few small, whole pods of okra on top of my cooking beans the last few minutes to boil/steam them tender. (Remember to leave a little bit of stem on the pods and do not cut into the seed cavity or they'll go all slimy on you.)

Are you growing shellies, Chopper?

Megan, I've never really timed them, but I'm guessing about 20-30 minutes total will cook most of them tender. I'd start checking them after 15 (10 min. at a boil, 5 at a simmer). It depends on the size of the beans you are cooking and whether you like yours barely tender or more on the mushy side.

Wow, y'all are makin' me shelly bean hungry and it's only 7:00 a.m.!

ander217

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/3/2010, 8:33 am

ander217 wrote:
Megan, I've never really timed them, but I'm guessing about 20-30 minutes total will cook most of them tender. I'd start checking them after 15 (10 min. at a boil, 5 at a simmer). It depends on the size of the beans you are cooking and whether you like yours barely tender or more on the mushy side.

Wow, y'all are makin' me shelly bean hungry and it's only 7:00 a.m.!

Mmmm, cornbread!

Have to say, Ander... I will keep the limas, and you can keep your okra. (*shudders*) Wink Thanks very much for the cooking info. I am sure I will be pestering you for more advice! Very Happy

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 7/3/2010, 2:03 pm

ander217 wrote: (Remember to leave a little bit of stem on the pods and do not cut into the seed cavity or they'll go all slimy on you.)

Well, I am learning more and more. I thought you shelled the beans first, so good to know. I am going to have to look into this some more now.

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/3/2010, 2:14 pm

Chopper wrote:
ander217 wrote: (Remember to leave a little bit of stem on the pods and do not cut into the seed cavity or they'll go all slimy on you.)

Well, I am learning more and more. I thought you shelled the beans first, so good to know. I am going to have to look into this some more now.

I think she was talking about the okra there, Chopper. Smile

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 7/3/2010, 2:35 pm

Megan wrote:
Chopper wrote:

I think she was talking about the okra there, Chopper. Smile

OMG! LOL! I will let you know if I so totally screw up this recipe that it turns me off of veggies forever!

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 7/3/2010, 2:40 pm

rofl

I just got my mom's bread'n'butter pickles recipe from my sister. Except neither of us have any idea how much it makes. Go figure!

Megan

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum