Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What is this? Plant identification?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:01 pm

» My first Attempt
by Mikesgardn Today at 8:04 pm

» Areogardening
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:18 pm

» January 2018 Avatar: Surprise Us
by sanderson Today at 4:51 pm

» My Shreveport Garden 2018
by sanderson Today at 4:47 pm

» 2018 - First Annual Seed Exchange Week - January 20-28 (Edited)
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 4:13 pm

» Are vegetables hurt by too much light?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:38 am

» Seed Starting!!
by brianj555 Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by sanderson Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:06 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 pm

» Weight Watchers Turkey, Bean and Vegetable Chili
by hammock gal Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 am

» Sow True Seeds
by AtlantaMarie Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 am

» Colored Mulch
by No_Such_Reality Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm

» Taking on 4 Season Gardening
by Roseinarosecity Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm

» SUGA 2017
by SQWIB Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm

» Butternut squash, turkey Italian sausage, cannelini bean soup
by yolos Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by yolos Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 pm

» N&C Midwest—January 2018!!!
by Scorpio Rising Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm

» Is there ever enough compost?
by has55 Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 pm

» Gophers
by countrynaturals Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 pm

» High heat tolerant tomatoes
by walshevak Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:03 am

» Mid-Atl - Jan 2018 - Brrrrrrrrrr! and Happy New Year
by AtlantaMarie Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:43 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in January 2018
by sanderson Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 am

» New England Jan 2018
by hammock gal Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by sanderson Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm

» New SFG box-Humanitarian way
by sanderson Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

» Drafts?
by trolleydriver Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Indoor Container Garden - City Living

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Indoor Container Garden - City Living

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 pm

@brianj555 wrote:Pictures El, Pictures please!
Sadly, this is from 2010 and El is long gone. Sad I'm over my snit and ready to roll up my sleeves and get this figured out. If she can do it, we can do it!  Let's start with what works.

Basil -- I took cuttings from my outdoor basil plants to keep in water in the house. In a couple of weeks they were loaded with roots, so I planted them in brand new, store-bought, high-end potting mix with fertilizer built in. I am now convinced that this is the secret of success. Old, used dirt or compost does NOT do well for me in the house. I wind up with aphids, gnats, powdery mildew, etc. My new philosophy is sterile indoor gardening. Rolling Eyes

After potting, this plant was ignored except for watering. Yesterday -- before this pic was taken -- I harvest a couple of sprigs of leaves and blossoms. I air-fried them with squash pieces and they were awesome. from now on, this baby will get all the love it deserves. I'm also going back to Miracle Gro for inside plants. Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Razz
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3052

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Cherry Tomatoes

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Cherry Tomatoes -- any of the small varieties work well for me inside, but none of the standard sizes have ever produced anything but a hard time.

This crazy plant has over a dozen tomatoes and another dozen blossoms.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Celery Stumplings

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Celery "Stumplings" -- http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18903-stumplings?highlight=stumplings

I tried this technique with several refrigerator veggies. Onions and celery were the only ones that were worth it to me. I bury the bases of onions into outside containers, but I "baby" the celery in the house for a few weeks, first. I did one of these last summer and planted it in BTE along with a 6-pack of store-bought celery plants. It's holding its own, but still not as big as the others. Compared to celery grown from seed, it's a whole different story. After about a month, this guy is twice as big and strong as my celery seedlings. It will be interesting to see how they compare at harvest time. Will the stumpling really produce a new stalk? Stay tuned for further developments. Razz
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Looking good Suz!  My two “experimental” indoor Cherokee Purples that were started in Kurig pods with MM from the outside bed.  Transferred into 4” peat pots with seed starter and miracle grow, then moved to 7 gallon pots with fresh MM.  They both look pretty good (so far). The one that I didn’t cut and root has a bloom.  

I decided not to pinch off the first bloom in case it’s the only bloom!Very Happy
brianj555

Male Posts : 432

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Good job, Brian. Are you having any problems with aphids, mildew, or gnats?
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:03 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Celery "Stumplings" -- http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18903-stumplings?highlight=stumplings

I tried this technique with several refrigerator veggies. Onions and celery were the only ones that were worth it to me. I bury the bases of onions into outside containers, but I "baby" the celery in the house for a few weeks, first. I did one of these last summer and planted it in BTE along with a 6-pack of store-bought celery plants. It's holding its own, but still not as big as the others. Compared to celery grown from seed, it's a whole different story. After about a month, this guy is twice as big and strong as my celery seedlings. It will be interesting to see how they compare at harvest time. Will the stumpling really produce a new stalk? Stay tuned for further developments. Razz
Here are my celery plants, started from seed on 9/5. They have a looooong way to go. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Cherry Tomatoes -- any of the small varieties work well for me inside, but none of the standard sizes have ever produced anything but a hard time.

This crazy plant has over a dozen tomatoes and another dozen blossoms.
Here is just one cluster of blossoms.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:11 pm

That pic of the blossoms is great Suz !Shocked  I don’t think I’m having problems with any of those you mention, but then again I don’t know if I would know .Embarassed  I’ve not had problems with them to know how to identify them .
brianj555

Male Posts : 432

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microgreens/Sprouts

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Microgreens -- this is a commercial term, not a scientific one. It's basically sprouts with their first true leaves. http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t19999-microgreens-gardening?highlight=microgreens If you can only grow one thing inside or you're new to indoor gardening and just want to dabble, this is my strongest recommendation for beginners. I "accidentally" started with cilantro. When the microgreens thread was going strong, someone suggested cilantro. I had a few starts that had just gotten their first true leaves, so I sacrificed one to munch on. WOW! Today I'm starting a new box (should have done it weeks ago). The only downside to microgreens/sprouts is that seeds can get pricey when you need so many. The upside is that you'll be eating them in a couple of weeks. Cool

Do you need a heating pad for these? You bet your bippy! I've had seeds sprout with a heating pad in 2 days that should have taken 5-10 days otherwise.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 pm

What I've learned in 3 years of indoor winter gardening:

1) Don't over-plant. Too many plants too close together breed disease.
2) Plants need air circulation and exercise. Move them around a little and/or use a fan on them once in awhile. Shake their stems, gently.
3) Indoor veggies grow much slower than in-ground, in-season outside plants.
4) Use sterile soil/mix. Bugs and disease thrive inside. Let's not help them.
5) Use plant food like Miracle Gro weekly. Sterile planting mix has no microbes, so indoor plants have a disadvantage compared to outside plants in nice, wormy compost. They need a boost.
6) Plant lights help, but they're no substitute for sunlight. http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18576-led-grow-lights-any-advice?highlight=grow+lights
7) Choose early, bush varieties of seed.

I'll post more as I learn more. Now it's time for you experts to jump in and teach us all the rest of what we don't know, yet. Razz
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:21 pm

@brianj555 wrote:That pic of the blossoms is great Suz !Shocked  I don’t think I’m having problems with any of those you mention, but then again I don’t know if I would know .Embarassed  I’ve not had problems with them to know how to identify them .

I know what you mean, Brian.  That is the trouble when you are asked, "Any questions?"
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5033

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  saganco on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:30 am

So happy to find this thread!  I am just beginning my run with indoor gardening (even planning to build a new home soon, and hubby HAS to make me a garden room)!  We are struggling with the plans/elevation of the land/and practicality to get the garden room on the south side, but if we can't, that's what grow lights are for.

Just started my celery stump plant as well as the tops from several beets to grow greens.  The compost for the MM is still in the tumbler, but doing nicely.  We will be using IBC's for the "catch pan" and that will have the bottom part of 30 gallon drums with drain pipe and coarse sand as the "self watering" part, then home made grow bags (made from weed barrier) as the actual pot.  We are hoping for success, but sometimes half the fun is in trying.  Getting success is just a big beautiful cherry on the top!  I will be staying tuned to see how this thread progresses - thank you all for your wonderful posts!
saganco

Female Posts : 85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum