Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 1:42 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

12 inch boxes question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

12 inch boxes question

Post  kahrani on 8/11/2010, 5:50 pm

Hi,

I have just been building my SFG and have made all my boxes 12" high as I prefer the height. In the book it says to just layer the bottom half with sand. This is okay for most of my boxes, but for my root veg, should I fill all with MM? (I've designated a 2x4 box for potatoes, carrots etc)

Also, because sometimes things work a little bit differently here in NZ, it actually seems cheaper for me to buy bags of cheap compost (5x40litre bags for $20) than to buy bags of sand (20litre bag $7 each!)... would it be ok to use this cheap compost as my bottom layer and then MM on top with a better compost mix? Or do I need something which drains better? I could get a trailer load of sand but I have no access into my garden from the road, and it would be a bit of a job to shovel it all into wheelbarrows and buckets and bring it over (remembering the work I had to do to get the firewood delivery into my woodshed when they dumped it on the street - not fun!)

Thanks,
Clare

kahrani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 12 inch boxes question

Post  Chopper on 8/11/2010, 5:59 pm

I don't think it is about drainage so much as just having something cheap to fill the space with since you don't need that area for nutrients.

Ha! I just saw your welcome post and my name is Clare.too. "Like the county" I used to tell people about the spelling until recently when I am finding too many people have no idea what I am talking about.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kahrani on 8/11/2010, 6:37 pm

Thanks Chopper! I'll just go get the cheapo compost then, I just will use some different kinds for the Mel's Mix. It will definitely be easier than hauling a trailer load of sand through.

Yes I say 'like the county' too, although not everyone gets that - I'm originally from the UK so people knew what I meant when I said it there, but not so much in NZ. People also have problems spelling my surname, it's not hard so I don't know why, but luckily there is a library where I live named after someone with the same surname so I now say 'like the library'!!

kahrani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rjsehm6 on 8/12/2010, 12:12 am

Hello, I am new to SFG and I am currently building my box. It will be 4x4 and 12 inches deep. So from the previous posts it seems as though I will not need Mel's Mix for the whole 12 inches correct? Oh and by the way, how much Mel's mix is needed exactly? In reading the book I thought that for a 4X4 I would need 8 cubic square of mix but then I read a post where someone had 4-4x4's and I believe they were 20 inches deep and I thought I read that he used 10 cubic squares of the Mel's Mix. Please advise

rjsehm6

Female Posts : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 8/12/2010, 12:21 am

@rjsehm6 wrote:Hello, I am new to SFG and I am currently building my box. It will be 4x4 and 12 inches deep. So from the previous posts it seems as though I will not need Mel's Mix for the whole 12 inches correct? Oh and by the way, how much Mel's mix is needed exactly? In reading the book I thought that for a 4X4 I would need 8 cubic square of mix but then I read a post where someone had 4-4x4's and I believe they were 20 inches deep and I thought I read that he used 10 cubic squares of the Mel's Mix. Please advise

You would need a minimum of 16cf of mels mix if you were going to fill the whole thing that way.

If you are wanting to do the split, personally i would do 10cf of mels and then your filler.

chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 8/12/2010, 12:31 am

Six inches of a 4X4 = 8 cf of MM. So, you would not want to use any less than that. The goal is to have the top six inches as MM. It is OK to have more than that though.

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/12/2010, 12:31 am

@Chopper wrote:I don't think it is about drainage so much as just having something cheap to fill the space with since you don't need that area for nutrients.
Ha! I just saw your welcome post and my name is Clare.too. "Like the county" I used to tell people about the spelling until recently when I am finding too many people have no idea what I am talking about.
+1 cheap is best. You can add sand or other amendments for drainage later if you find you need it.

Chopper, my guess the reason folks don't understand the Cty. Clare reference is that you're not on the East coast anymore. Maybe? There are a lot of Irish descendants here after all.myspace backgrounds images

Wink

Last edited by boffer on 8/12/2010, 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/12/2010, 12:33 am

I would plan for a minimum of 10 cf of MM for a 4x4x6inch box. Once the soil is thoroughly saturated, it compresses. Don't worry about having materials left over-you'll use them for the next box you build-oops who?me? secret's out: you can't build just one!

@camprn wrote:
Chopper, my guess the reason folks don't understand the Cty. Clare reference is that you're not on the East coast anymore.
Maybe so, I stood up, but it still went over my head. tongue

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  rjsehm6 on 8/12/2010, 12:39 am

Thanks for the replies. Okay, so for a filler, I see that someone mentioned compost and sand, anything else? I am going to Lowes tomorrow to purchase a filler. I purchased the Mel's Mix for 12.00 each bag so I will look for something less expensive. Really new to all this. Thanks again.

rjsehm6

Female Posts : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 8/12/2010, 1:02 am

@camprn wrote:
Chopper, my guess the reason folks don't understand the Cty. Clare reference is that you're not on the East coast anymore. Maybe? There are a lot of Irish descendants here after all.
Wink

I am sure that is it. As I would not recognize Pacific Rim or Mexican geographic references.

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum