Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 4:32 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 4:08 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi all!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi all!

Post  Old Hippie on 8/12/2010, 1:32 am

Although I am new to this site I have gardened since I was a kid but this is my second year of formal SFG. What a wonderful way to garden!

I live in Canada in a zone 3b area. We can count on frost from any time form about the last week of Aug./first week in Sept. to the last week of May/first week of June. This year we actually had frost in the first week of July! It does make gardening a challenge!!

Looking forward to getting to know some of you and checking out garden pics and ideas.

GK

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi all!

Post  boffer on 8/12/2010, 1:46 am

Hi Old Hippie,

glad you\'re here to the forum. We have several Canadian members in your zone, and it just doesn't seem fair that your growing season is so short. Have you figured out a way to extend your growing season on either end? Are you able to grow any warm season crops? Would like to see some of your pictures as well! Welcome aboard...

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 8/12/2010, 10:20 am

LOLOL! Thanks for the welcome! I am normally not a CW music fan but the chorus of that song about the "old hippie" describes me perfectly. I am delighted to hear that there are other Canadians here from my area! I did check out the forum for Canadians as well.

I am totally jealous of people who have longer growing seasons!! But don't most gardeners push the limits of their gardening zone? LOL! People talk about their 'winter gardens'. Ha! Gotta post pictures of my winter garden. There are NO slugs or grasshoppers in it! LOL!

Anything I can do to get an edge on our short growing season is tried. I have found a couple of excellent seed sources here that have developed varieties of most vegetables for areas with shorter growing seasons. The raised beds do seem to warm up sooner than a regular garden plot. I put down plastic as soon as the snow is gone to help the ground warm up even quicker. From what I have read that is supposed to make a difference of a couple of weeks and it did seem to work. I started planting whatever possible the minute the ground was thawed. Cool weather stuff like radishes, peas, etc. but the beauty of SFG is you can easily cover a section that has tender plants. I do start some things in my cold frame and actually plan to get some manure to experiment with making it into an old fashioned "hot bed". Last fall I used remay cover, blankets, plastic, tarps, anything I could lay my hands on to cover the tender stuff at night. We were very lucky last fall and didn't get a killing frost until the middle of Sept.

Experimenting with the micro climates in my yard, has enabled me to grow tomatoes outside with excellent results. I put them in the brick planters on the south side of the house. The soil heats up there very early in the year and the bricks hold the heat overnight. Being under the roof overhang gives them added protection on cool nights. I had six plants there last year and again this year. Besides watering them DAILY and fertilizing twice a week, I put down plastic on the soil to deter neighbourhood cats from using the planter as their private litter box. I plant them out on the May long weekend and it looks like I will start harvesting tomatoes by this weekend. I have good results with Early Girl. Last year my largest tomato weighed almost two pounds and I harvested over 40 pounds in total. Next year however, I should plant the tomatoes somewhere else for good crop rotation practice. Every year is different but that is the fun of it.

Again, thanks for the fun welcome.

GK

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel on 8/12/2010, 11:24 am

Welcome there is always room for one more here ! best of luck.

Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 8/12/2010, 9:29 pm

Why thank you Garden Angel! I think I am going to enjoy it here.

Question for you......the picture that is posted by your name....is that a decoration you have in your garden? If so, where did you get it? I collect angels but have enough inside the house. I would love to get a few for the garden. Actually, I thought I might try my hand at making some out of rebar or something with my husband's welder.

GK

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/12/2010, 9:47 pm

@Old Hippie wrote:...I thought I might try my hand at making some out of rebar or something with my husband's welder....

Another SFGer who welds
could be a fun thing love the idea

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Hi back atcha

Post  ander217 on 8/13/2010, 7:30 am

Hi, Old Hippie. Welcome to the forum!

It's amazing how people can stretch the growing seasons. Our daughter's friend moved from Missouri to North Pole, Alaska when they were in high school. Her family missed fresh sweet corn so much that when they invited our daughter for a visit, her checked baggage at the airport consisted solely of a huge duffel bag of sweet corn in the shuck picked fresh the morning she left.

They enjoyed it so much that they were determined to grow their own. They built a greenhouse and grew short season varieties. They almost got some twice before cold temps got it, but they said they would never give up and I think they eventually managed to raise some, even in Alaska.

You may not have a long growing season, but on the other hand you're probably not bothered by heat stress in your plants. What is your bug problem like?

Congrats on growing tomatoes. We look forward to photos.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum