Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:40 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by jimmy cee Today at 8:50 pm

» Mason bees
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:45 pm

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:40 pm

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:36 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 8:05 pm

» Notice: Gluten-free Recipes Sub-Forum- Up and running!
by sanderson Today at 7:07 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 4:46 pm

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» What's eating my plants
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:30 pm

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 12:25 pm

» Shallots, Prisma
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:59 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 10/21/2016, 10:16 pm

» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by yolos 10/21/2016, 8:32 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan 10/21/2016, 7:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by CapeCoddess 10/21/2016, 4:51 pm

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson 10/21/2016, 3:50 am

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

Search SFG Forum

What Will You Keep and Discard?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Will You Keep and Discard?

Post  Chopper on 8/19/2010, 11:12 pm

My daughter asked me this question: What did I like and what would I not do again.

Tomatoes - but would do slightly differently ( a lot of this has to do with expansion and specialized boxes)
Black Beans - More! And cranberry and...
Yellow and green beans - stick with pole rather than bush
Corn - oh yeah! the last of my corn is stunted, but still good I would plant two different times
Onions and garlic
Herbs - the real luxury of the garden
carrots and beets
Peppers - were a little disappointing along with eggplant but have to try yearly! Want them too much!
Haven't tried the cool crops yet - peas, lettuce, etc. They go in next month.

Not again:
Nothing fits. It is all about expansion. LOL.
The only thing would be different planting plans to take advantage or room and light
Oh yeah! Cantaloupe and watermelon - disappointing this year, will give them another try next - they take up a lot of room for just one fruit

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What Will You Keep and Discard?

Post  Aub on 8/19/2010, 11:46 pm

I won't do so many yellow cherry tomatoes next year. It's really one of my 3 year olds' fault I planted so many. He took all of my marker sticks out of the seedings. (He also like to take the labels off the canned food!) i had no idea what was going in the garden.

I do want to do tiny watermelons next year. And I saw a GIANT watermelon in the Burpee catalog. My siser says we have to try that too. They say it can get up to 200 pounds. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

Female Posts : 283

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 8/20/2010, 12:12 am

I wont be doing zucchini or zucchini squash next year. I just cant justify growing something I just don't eat that much.

Not really wanting to do carrots again. Just take too long.

LOVED LOVED LOVED my sunflowers, planting way more next year but not in the boxes....

Going to have a 3X3 of nothing but purple flowers for my daughter.

Will do potaoes again, garlic, onion. Way more pole beans not so much bush. Want to try cukes again next year. Didnt get any yeild this year but wheather played a bigger factor than me.

Will do tomatoes again but doing it differently. I didnt have a clue this year and they kinda took over.... LOL.

Definetly going to grow more lavender and will do pumpkins and watermelons. Didnt get to this year didn't have enough garden room. We will be expanding.

Trying peas, brussel sprouts and lettuces this fall. We'll see.

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda on 8/20/2010, 5:18 pm

Do again...

• Tomatoes that worked well -- Ace, Sun Sugar, Roma, Orange. Although I need to find a better way to keep the critters out of them.
  • Zucchini and Patty Pan Squash -- will look for powdery mildew resistant varieties since I have been fighting the mildew all summer.
  • Blue Lake Green Beans (Pole). Good providers and nice tasting beans. Also seem to be more hardy.
  • Kentucky Blue (Pole) -- OK production considering they were all tormented by birds before they started producing. Would try again to see if I can get a better production out of them by keeping them safe from critters early on.
  • Basil -- would plant a LOT more and freeze for year round use.
  • Cucumbers -- had great success with burp-less variety that had a nice mild flavor. Also had success with slice master.

Won't do again...

• Seedless Tomatoes, German Green -- just didn't produce very much (or critters ate them most of them). German green was a strange grower
  • Yellow Crookneck - We don't like it as well as the other two summer squashes we planted and by the time I harvest them they have big seeds. Also, turned very yellow and got covered in powdery mildew.
  • Swiss chard, spinach --- summer was too hot for them and they bolted at only an inch tall. Will grow them but NOT in the summer. Here they are a fall or spring crop.
  • Lemon Cucumber -- very prolific and self pollinates. Only issue was that we didn't really like the skin and skinning them was a pain.
  • Painted Serpent Cucumber -- very disease prone and only produced one cucumber all season. Waste of space.
  • Pole Romano Beans -- They were huge plants and produced well. We just liked the smaller seeds of the Blue Lake better.
My potatoes all died. Sad( so not sure about them. I think it was my fault for covering them over too soon.

Female Posts : 439

View user profile http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MsMinchin on 8/20/2010, 6:22 pm

Do again:
-Tomatoes, and much more of them. Next year I will pay attention to when they mature and plant early-, mid- and late-season varieties so I always have some ready. I will also get more of the tomato automator trays.
-herbs and more of them
-hot peppers, but maybe not so many
-bell peppers, but all of them will have tomato automator and supports this time
-zucchini and melons

Won't do again:
-Corn - what a Diva it is
-onions from seed - will try buying a set next time

-Cucumber - I really only planted it to protect the corn and boy is it productive. well maybe one square foot of cukes next year
-Leeks - I love them but they got clobbered this year by grubs. If I get the grubs under control I'll try them again.

Female Posts : 69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 8/20/2010, 6:34 pm

Do again:

• Zucchino Rampicante -- I'm hooked!
  • Poona Kheera cucumbers -- and spray a lot earlier and more vigorously with Neem oil!!!
  • Swiss Chard -- awesome producer, has lasted all summer
  • Tomatos
  • Purple Tomatillos -- Really fun, I haven't harvested yet though. Next year I want green ones too, to mix it up.
  • Peppers
  • Pole beans (though I may look for a variety that has less ganormous strings)
  • Basil
  • Taters
  • Carrots
  • Radishes -- but I want to move them to a (new for next year) side bed... trap crops which attract, need to be someplace else than your main SFGs!
  • Corn -- want to try this again, did not work well this year
  • Kohlrabi
  • Onions
  • Rapini (a.k.a. broccoli raab) -- love that stuff
  • Yellow Midget Watermelon -- A dismal failure this year, but I want to try again, as I don't think I gave it a good environment.

Not again:

• Yellow Crookneck Squash -- This is my favorite squash, but I just can't seem to grow it here. I got two good seasons years ago, but it seems to have big, blinking neon sign which says "SVB and powdery mildew, come get me!!!"
  • Amaranth -- It is GORGEOUS and huge, but it also shades out other plants. I don't think I'll try it again next year, unless I completely fall in love with the grain. The seed head on the biggest plant is about as big as a medium-size dog at this point. I mean... BIG.

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum