Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost: Bekeley 18 day [hot] method
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 3:25 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:30 pm

» PNW: October 2014
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:18 pm

» New England October 2014
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Just starting SFG!
by Marc Iverson Today at 12:25 pm

» SFG for shade?
by llama momma Today at 12:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 12:22 pm

» Prelim Bed Plans
by sanderson Today at 11:54 am

» Are you seeing bees?
by camprn Today at 11:31 am

» who has chickens
by sanderson Today at 12:03 am

» Removing raspberries
by johnp Yesterday at 3:50 pm

» To Screen or not to screen ???
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Worm Tube for the SFG
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» Greeting from SW Birmingham, AL
by grownsunshine Yesterday at 12:16 pm

» Gardening in England
by plantoid 10/23/2014, 4:35 pm

» Mississippi Gulf Coast! Woohoo!
by Ha-v-v 10/23/2014, 4:24 pm

» Bed Raising
by Marc Iverson 10/23/2014, 2:38 pm

» The Lazy Gardener
by Marc Iverson 10/23/2014, 12:51 am

» Herbs and Vegetables for the Lazy Gardener
by Marc Iverson 10/23/2014, 12:28 am

» Newbie in Las Vegas, year 1!
by brainchasm 10/22/2014, 11:46 pm

» MEL'S MIX CALCULATOR not working?
by Allyn 10/22/2014, 9:23 pm

» The website squarefootgardening.com is down!
by brainchasm 10/22/2014, 4:00 pm

» Table top getting extra weeks of sun
by CapeCoddess 10/22/2014, 3:56 pm

» moved our beds
by FamilyGardening 10/21/2014, 9:35 pm

» Pill bugs!
by jimmy cee 10/21/2014, 2:55 pm

» Friday's Rookie Topic VIII: French Tarragon
by Marc Iverson 10/21/2014, 1:17 pm

» Oct in the Lower South
by Ha-v-v 10/21/2014, 10:03 am

» Friday Rookie Topics 2012
by johnp 10/20/2014, 3:27 pm

» Friday Rookie Topics 2011
by camprn 10/20/2014, 1:43 pm

» How much Rabbit Poo on/in garlic bed?
by brainchasm 10/20/2014, 12:30 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

Post  milaneyjane on 8/20/2010, 5:41 pm

Anyone have a sauce recipe for roma that you leave skin and seeds intact? My friend gave me arecipe that you leave the skin and seeds and just put in the blender. I am leary to try it without hearing from others first.

TIA!

milaneyjane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

Post  Old Hippie on 8/20/2010, 6:37 pm

Perhaps it makes a difference how good your blender is. Mine is not that great and would never pulverize all the seeds. What I probably would do is put the sauce through a strainer after the blender to get any seeds or pieces of skin out. That would still be easier than scalding and peeling them all, at least I think it would.

GK

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts: 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 8/21/2010, 8:31 am

Peeling tomatoes is super easy. It took far too long for me to learn to put the tomatoes in the boiling water for 10-15 seconds until the skin on one tomato splits, retrieve them and leave them in the colander. If you wait a long while and cut up the rest of the recipe you will be much less likely to scald your fingers. Green tomatoes do not peel well. Happy cooking.

Patty from Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom on 8/21/2010, 9:32 pm

I hate peeling tomatoes. I would be ok if it was only 5 or 10 but I use 1/2 a bushel when I get around to canning. I tried the recipe on this board for roasting tomatoes. I tweaked it a little but it was so easy to cut, bake, blend and can. And the taste is amazing!

I laid down a bed of thyme, oregano, and basil on the bottom. Followed by a whole bunch of garlic slightly chopped then cut up tomatoes. (either halved or quartered depending on size) Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes then 400 for 20 min. Allow to cool and blend all. Add a lemon juice. Put in clean jars and into a water bath for 20 min.

extremesoccermom

Female Posts: 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane on 8/21/2010, 9:40 pm

Well I spent the better part of the day blanching, peeling and seeding the tomatoes. And then I saw soccermoms post. Definately will do that with the next batch. Thanks! I do the exact same thing to make sundried tomatoes that are heavenly! Just a lower temp for a lot longer.

milaneyjane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 8/22/2010, 1:30 am

milaneyjane... what kind of mixer do you have? i just purchased a kitchenaid attachment and my life is complete!

chocolatepop

Female Posts: 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 8/22/2010, 9:11 am

It won't hurt a thing if you don't peel them.

It's for aesthetic reasons-- the skins don't break down in cooking, and some people don't like the look of them, and little kids tend to have a hissy fit.

If you don't care, it won't affect the quality of your goodies at all.

LaFee

Female Posts: 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot on 2/1/2011, 12:06 am

So, this is to make a tomato sauce. Can this be used to make a spaghetti sauce that is slightly thicker? I'm pretty handy with canning now and quite a good cook, but I back in the day I had a disaster with making homemade spaghetti sauce and refused to try again... but... I'd like to try again this year.

For comparison in size what I'm use to using at home, the traditional ragu normal sized jar, because it has a tomato flavor without much to it, so I can add my own special mix of ground herbs and spices to make it my own.

kimbertangleknot

Female Posts: 274

View user profile http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 2/1/2011, 1:34 am

as long as it stays on the acidic side of things and doesn't have meat, yep...adding onions and peppers to make it spaghetti sauce is no biggie. I think the Blue Bell site and/or book have directions for spaghetti sauce.

LaFee

Female Posts: 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I disagree

Post  ander217 on 2/1/2011, 8:22 am

LaFee wrote:as long as it stays on the acidic side of things and doesn't have meat, yep...adding onions and peppers to make it spaghetti sauce is no biggie. I think the Blue Bell site and/or book have directions for spaghetti sauce.

I disagree with you on this one, LaFee. Adding onions and peppers without following a tested recipe is a big no-no IMO. Onions and peppers are low acid and will lower the acidic content of the sauce.

The problem is, there is no way for a home cook to tell when the acidic level has gone too low. Tomatoes are a problem anyway because the amount of acid in them varies so much. They now recommend adding acid to them when canning, to be on the safe side.

Will adding onions and peppers on your own be a problem? Probably not. Can it be a problem? Yes, it can. To be safe you should follow a tested recipe from a modern canning book, as LaFee suggested. Their kitchens have the equipment to test the final result, and they know what proportion of low-acid veggies can be safely added.

ander217

Female Posts: 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/1/2011, 8:40 am

I like to chop and freeze my peppers, then pull them out and saute as needed, there is no reason you could not can your tomatoes per the advice above, and when you want spaghetti sauce, saute your peppers, onions and garlic (if more is needed) and add them to the mix in the pan when preparing for dinner.

I did have 2 tomatoes last year that were out of this world for sauce. First one was the small yellow pear, to small to skin IMO, so I did not. I just blanched it, tossed it in my blender and pureed it, skin seeds and all, and hubby loved it. I had to get over the yellow sauce on my pasta, but it tasted good. The Yellow Pear is actually a cherry type tomato, but worked great in my experiment. The other was probably an Amish Paste (or Rio Grand Roma, not sure, some plants lost their names 2 years ago in the garden, and this one popped up as a volunteer in the strawberry patch). I did skin this one, but that's it. It is a very meaty tomato, and has few seeds, so I blanched it, skinned it, and again pureed it. I prefer "petite" diced, but hubby wanted pureed, so this time he got what he wanted, and honestly at the time I did not have the desire to chop that many.

Another tip, you can rinse, dry, bag, and freeze tomatoes, and pull them out later for canning. I learned this 14 years ago, living in a mobile home atop of a hill, with no shade and a window unit for air conditioning. It was too hot to can, and we did not have the time or finances for an outdoor kitchen (my dream), so an older lady asked me why I wasn't freezing them and canning them in the fall or winter, when I could kill 2 birds with one stone by canning & heating the house at the same time. This also works out great for slow times, when you are not getting loads of tomatoes, you can freeze as you go, and can when you get enough to justify firing up the waterbath. Last year was my first year to have a pressure cooker for canning, but did not get the chance to use it, so I've been saving most of my food by freezing, water bath method, or drying-like my cowpeas. I prefer canning and drying, living in the country gets scary in the winter, when the power goes out and you have a deep freezer full of garden food, and it's not cold enough to pull everything out and put it in coolers on the porch. We've lost produce that way, so I'm drying most of our peas now, just add extra seasoning, and bacon bits, and if hubby doesn't see me put them in the pan dry to cook, he does not know. He says he can tell, but he eats them all the time and doesn't notice!!!

FarmerValerie

Female Posts: 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 2/1/2011, 9:06 am

Thanks for the info everyone. The roasting method sounds especially intriguing to me.

I just received my San Marzano tomato seeds in the mail!

LOL it's still hard to imagine a harvest when we've got snow on the ground and expecting freezing rain tonight.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts: 1492

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 2/1/2011, 1:03 pm

extremesoccermom wrote:I hate peeling tomatoes. I would be ok if it was only 5 or 10 but I use 1/2 a bushel when I get around to canning. I tried the recipe on this board for roasting tomatoes. I tweaked it a little but it was so easy to cut, bake, blend and can. And the taste is amazing!

I laid down a bed of thyme, oregano, and basil on the bottom. Followed by a whole bunch of garlic slightly chopped then cut up tomatoes. (either halved or quartered depending on size) Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes then 400 for 20 min. Allow to cool and blend all. Add a lemon juice. Put in clean jars and into a water bath for 20 min.

I was just rereading this thread, which contains great information, but I was wondering if the oiling of the tomatoes for roasting would be a problem? I think I read that you aren't supposed to put oil in canned goods, although I can't remember where I read it.

miinva

Female Posts: 776

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 2/1/2011, 3:39 pm

I've got to get myself a Ball Canning Set.
Sounds good.

quiltbea

Female Posts: 4111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot on 2/1/2011, 4:09 pm

I did find a recipe on ball's canning website that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And the bonus is, that it's only for 3/16oz pint jars. I bought this canning set last year -+- Ball® Canning Discovery™ Kit -+- as my intro into canning. I made the salsa that was in the little booklet, did NOT like it. It tasted more like vinegar than salsa. But this -+- Italian Style Tomato Sauce -+- is the recipe and it's great because it is so small so trying it wont be hard. I'll have to try the recipe here too, I have what I'm use to set in my mind but need to open up what to try. It might be better than what I think I want.

kimbertangleknot

Female Posts: 274

View user profile http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/1/2011, 4:26 pm

extremesoccermom wrote:I hate peeling tomatoes. I would be ok if it was only 5 or 10 but I use 1/2 a bushel when I get around to canning. I tried the recipe on this board for roasting tomatoes. I tweaked it a little but it was so easy to cut, bake, blend and can. And the taste is amazing!

miinva wrote:I was just rereading this thread, which contains great information, but I was wondering if the oiling of the tomatoes for roasting would be a problem? I think I read that you aren't supposed to put oil in canned goods, although I can't remember where I read it.
You may be thinking of preserving in oil, which is a whole other animal and not recommended by the USDA.You may add oil to tomato sauces and such, as long as you follow the recipe and retain the acid at a recommended level in the product.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts: 12750

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum