Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:18 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 3:16 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:25 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 2:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Updates from the battlefield

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Updates from the battlefield

Post  Weedless_ on 8/25/2010, 8:46 am

Well, folks, looks like the vine borer and pickle worm invasions are over with.
We were able to recover cucumbers happily, squashes marginally, and pumpkin died. Melons are doing great, you'd never be able to tell they were attacked. I snipped all the damaged vines, and that did more good - now the side shoots are growing so fast it's almost scary.
Tigger melon is growing a little fruit at almost every leaf junction. Those are pretty little fruits, and they don't grow large, so I am still hoping for some sweet dessert.

We have harvested our first cantaloupe, it was delicious! It was mature enough to withstand pickleworm attack, they couldn't get inside, so we happily devoured it ourselves. Two other cantaloupes perished in the invasion.
Watermelons are going crazy and growing in all directions, threatening to take over the yard and neighbor's yard. I had to snip some of the vines, and all of the suckers. We had lots of rain lately, so watermelon is in hog heaven.

Squashes were badly damaged by SVB, and after several BT and pesticide applications I was ready to check them off as dead, but they started setting new roots on the side vines, and now we are seeing some vigorous new growth. I tied them up on taller poles, and Odessa squash is doing especially great - I see lots of fruit coming out - almost all flowers are females, and bees just can't get enough of them. Amazing, amazing, that's all I can say. I was majorly depressed over the loss (or potential loss) of all my cucurbits, because they are all great performers and we've harvested tons of stuff off them.

I finally pulled my bush beans. Pole beans aren't doing that great - I see lots of beans, but they are all tiny and curled up - heat doesn't do well for them. But I'll be able to plant some fresh ones for fall, and hopefully they'll do better.

Tomatoes are now blooming like no tomorrow. Those are store bought ones, and took forever to set.

The only thing that didn't suffer from ANY attack, whether severe heat or super rain, or myriads of bugs - was basil. It's a tall bush now, I snipped the flowers off it, and it's going strong. Not a shred of a leaf was taken - it's clean and happy. You'd never think it will do so well, judging by how long it took for it to start growing.

Overall, I am very happy with my garden, and I certainly learned a ton this season.

Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

View user profile http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

congrats

Post  ander217 on 8/25/2010, 9:06 am

Congratulations on your cucurbit harvest. I am in awe. We managed to get a few butternuts, baby pumpkins, pickling cukes, and one zucchini and yellow crookneck squash before the bugs ruled.

We harvested two small Charentais muskmelons - tiny but good. They had a buttery texture. One more nearly ripened before something - probably a SVB ate right into it. (Or maybe it was a pickleworm? I'm not familiar with those.) Another Charentais plant came up volunteer in our deep SFG box - how in the world did it get there??? I let it run since we'd already harvested most of that box, and it was setting melons but yesterday I saw that the largest one was covered in young squash bugs. I don't know if I have the heart to keep battling them.

The only melon we had really good luck with was our Moon and Stars watermelon. They weren't bothered by any pests at all, knock on wood. (They grew in a different area of the garden, so maybe the bugs liked the other plants better and stayed in the other section.)

Glad you had a good year.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum