Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Word Association Game!!
by yolos Today at 6:17 pm

» Asparagus
by plantoid Today at 5:05 pm

» Bed 3 modification ?
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 4:34 pm

» Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please)
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:23 pm

» Early Thanksgiving
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:12 am

» Really frustrating gardening summer-2014
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:10 am

» Stevia
by plantoid Today at 7:10 am

» Where Do You Buy Tulle?
by jimmy cee Today at 6:44 am

» NEW! Instagram Page For The Forum
by camprn Today at 6:39 am

» 2014 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Today at 2:46 am

» N&C Midwest November 2014
by sanderson Today at 2:42 am

» Volunteer Cosmos - 1st bloom 10/12/2014!
by Windmere Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» Compost: Bekeley 18 day [hot] method
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:05 pm

» pie pastry shell - who uses vodka?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Sour Dough Starter
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:08 am

» Best Seed Organizing Ideas
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/22/2014, 5:57 pm

» Polar Vortex
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2014, 5:13 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/22/2014, 4:52 pm

» Don't forget to uncover on warm/sunny winter days
by sanderson 11/22/2014, 4:22 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 11/22/2014, 2:45 pm

» New England, November 2014
by CapeCoddess 11/22/2014, 10:39 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 11/20/2014, 2:06 pm

» really hot peppers
by sanderson 11/19/2014, 1:17 am

» Garlic time!
by brainchasm 11/17/2014, 3:18 pm

» Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter
by Judy McConnell 11/17/2014, 11:01 am

» Burning Question
by Judy McConnell 11/17/2014, 8:48 am

» Western Mountains and High Plains: November
by RoOsTeR 11/16/2014, 9:28 am

» Winterize Florida asparagus?
by sanderson 11/16/2014, 1:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brainchasm 11/15/2014, 11:15 pm

» Weather Related
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/15/2014, 1:19 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

WV '63 tomato seeds ready

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WV '63 tomato seeds ready

Post  pattipan on 9/2/2010, 2:19 pm

I have the seeds from my WV '63 heirloom tomatoes dried, tested for viability, and ready for shipping. If anyone would like some of the seed, send me a PM (private message) here on the forum and I will let you know where to send a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope).

Description...
Other names: West Virginia Centennial or West Virginia '63
Heirloom / Open-pollinated type
Indeterminate / 80 days

Resistant to late blight, verticillium & fusarium wilt. Vines are vigorous, fruits are medium to large, meaty, oblate to globe in shape, smooth, resist cracking. All purpose tomato, excellent for eating fresh or canning.

There are more pictures of them in my forum gallery:
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-pattipan-cat_u115.htm

Patti (pattipan)

pattipan

Female Posts: 807

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: WV '63 tomato seeds ready

Post  Youngatheart on 9/2/2010, 3:16 pm

Pm'd you, Patti

Smile
Rhonda

Youngatheart

Female Posts: 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

West Virginia 63 tomato seeds

Post  card6467 on 8/6/2011, 4:37 pm

I tried to post a couple of days ago but am new to this site and did not see a reply. I would love to have a few seeds for next year. No rush, obviously. Where do I send a SASE? Thanks! Card6467

card6467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/6/2011, 5:39 pm

Hi Card, welcome to the forum.

You have responded to a thread that hasn't been active since September of last year. More often than not, you wouldn't get a response.

But it must be your lucky day. The original poster offering the seeds is pattipan, who is still active on the forum. She is the one to contact. I think that tomato is one of her favorites, so I'll guess that she'll have some seeds available this year too.

At the moment, she's doing family vacation/weddings/reunions things. You could write her a PM and be patient for her return (I don't know when that is), or watch for her name in the Latest Topics list and then PM her. She's a Regional Host, so her name shows up in blue and is easy to see.

Happy Gardening

(don't those tomatoes look wonderful?!)

Last frost date (50%): April 15     First frost date (50%): Oct 15    
Zone: Irrelevant

boffer

Male Posts: 6514

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  card6467 on 8/6/2011, 6:24 pm

for the reply and info. Yes those tomatoes look wonderful. I have been battling early blight here in NJ for 15 years. One web site claimed the WV 63 seeds offered tolerance. I have had luck this year (tolerance) with Defiant and Matt's Wild Cherry (both from Johnny's). Do you know of other varieties that might be tolerant? Thanks. Card

card6467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan on 8/6/2011, 11:35 pm

I have returned! Just got home this evening from the last of my travels -- at least for a few weeks!

I still have a gazillion WV '63 seeds from last year. And I'll have more saved later this month from this summer's crop. I have just picked the first 3 ripe ones and someone ate them already. Wink

I am sure the 2010 seed are still viable. Send me a private message if you want some and I'll reply where to send your SASE.

I'll try to catch up on the forum (if that's even possible!) and the PM's this coming week.

pattipan

pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan on 8/7/2011, 1:52 pm

Here's some more info on the WV '63 tomatoes (pedigree, disease resistance, etc.) for those of you that interested in the seed. There are two Adobe Reader files. One has excellent instructions on saving tomato seeds -- no matter what heirloom tomato you are growing. Teh other is the pedigree info and disease resistance.

http://anr.ext.wvu.edu/sustainable_agriculture/wv_63

To card6467: I did not see anything about Early Blight resistance in the info given in the above article, however, it may be true though, because I have not seen signs of any type of blight on my WV's '63's. Bottom leaves turn yellow like any tomato plant, but I remove those. They have suffered a little from the record heat in July, but I'll still have a decent crop.

pattipan

pattipan

Back to top Go down

More info on blight disease resistance

Post  card6467 on 8/7/2011, 2:13 pm

I can't post a link because I am too new. But if you search for "early blight resistant tomatoes" you will find a Rutgers site containing Cornell University research on resistance of various tomato plants to early and late blight. This is where I learned about West Virginia 63. Cornell is working on developing a tomato variety that is resistant to both early and late blight.

I have had luck in the past in my New Jersey garden with Matt's Wild Cherry (Johnny's Selected Seeds) and this year with a new Johnny's variety called Defiant. They are not completely resistant but both are tolerant. I also planted for the first time this year grafted tomato plants I bought from Territorial Seed Company. They are tolerant as well.

card6467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 8/7/2011, 6:46 pm

I live in the southern part of Pa. and want to know were to purchase seed for these plants?

Thanks,

Floyd

floyd1440

Male Posts: 709

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan on 8/7/2011, 8:52 pm

floyd1440 wrote:I live in the southern part of Pa. and want to know were to purchase seed for these plants?
Floyd

Floyd,
Send me a private message (P.M.) via this forum and I'll let you know where to mail a self-addressed stamped envelope. The seeds are free, just the stamp will cost ya. Smile

pattipan

pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/8/2011, 8:31 am

Hey Patty, when the seed comes in this year would you like to trade for some Gilbertie seed? What a Face

35 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts: 12825

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 8/8/2011, 7:32 pm

PM ed you Patti. How to you save the seeds for the next season? I am NEW this so any help in SFG will be always welcome

Floyd study

floyd1440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/8/2011, 7:41 pm

At the moment, one good description about saving tomato seeds is by quiltbea, it can be found here:
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t8557-seed-saving#79032

We've recently begun a thread with instructions on how to save different types of seeds; it can be found here:
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t8573p15-member-collaboration-seed-saving#79616

Last frost date (50%): April 15     First frost date (50%): Oct 15    
Zone: Irrelevant

boffer

Male Posts: 6514

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan on 8/8/2011, 8:51 pm

floyd1440 wrote:PM ed you Patti. How to you save the seeds for the next season? I am NEW this so any help in SFG will be always welcome
Floyd study

In a previous post I gave a link to page on WVU Extension's site that had more info on the pedigree of the WV '63 tomato and that also had a link with illustrated instructions on how to save tomato seed.

This is the method I use, except I use a wide mouth quart jar and I dry them on parchment paper (no sticking!) laid over on a tray, I also add something to weigh the paper down, incse it gets bumped. I try to remember to test the seed after they have dried. I place ten seeds on a damp paper towel, place it in a plastic baggie and see how many sprout. So far I've had 100% germination. Not sure if that's scientific, but it works for me.

Here's a direct link to the .pdf with the seed saving info:
http://anr.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/51437

pattipan

pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 8/10/2011, 7:57 pm

Thanks for the link. I book marked it for future use and am looking forward to using them next spring and will need to find out how often you plant your plants apart, in weeks, to get a continous harvest as you climate is similar to ours.

Unfortunately I planted all three plants at the same time and have to many at one time affraid affraid

Floyd

floyd1440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan on 8/10/2011, 10:27 pm

floyd1440 wrote:Thanks for the link. I book marked it for future use and am looking forward to using them next spring and will need to find out how often you plant your plants apart, in weeks, to get a continous harvest as you climate is similar to ours.

Unfortunately I planted all three plants at the same time and have to many at one time

Floyd

Floyd,
I plant each variety at the same time because I want the tomatoes to get ripe at the same time so I can make them into sauce, salsa, soup, etc. I need at least of 8 quarts (a peck) at picking time to make it worth heating up the kitchen. Smile

If you want to stagger the tomato harvest, you'll need to start seeds indoors at two weeks intervals. The number of days until first harvest you see on the tomato seed packet starts counting at the time you set out the seedlings. That should give you a ballpark figure. The WV '63 is 80 days. Since they are an indeterminate tomato, the first cluster of tomatoes will be around 80 days.

This a first fruit cluster last year on August 3:

Yesterday I picked almost a peck of WV '63s from the first fruits that formed...minus the ones that we ate. That was from 12 plants, mind you. So if you only have one or two plants you may only get one or two tomatoes at a time at the first first picking.

See the Upper South Tomato Tuesday thread for more pictures of my 43 tomato plants!

pattipan

pattipan

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum