Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

by Kelejan Today at 9:44 am

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by CapeCoddess Today at 7:51 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG

Post  glasgrl on 9/5/2010, 2:50 pm

It's time to start winterizing parts of the garden, but I wanted to take some pictures for next year's reference first. The garden is in the area behind our garage. The yard is fenced in, so I attached the trellises to the fence. The ground is covered with gravel (landscape fabric beneath). There's still room to expand along the left-hand side and part of the far back (and I've already planned all of it for next year). Very Happy

Strawberries in the two front boxes, carrots and bush beans in the middle left, herbs in the middle right, more herbs in the back right, raspberries against the back fence (hidden by the lemongrass), and tomatoes, pole beans, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and cucumbers against the side fence.

Strawberries! The middle is empty for next year's strawberry pyramids. These strawberries had a VERY rough start: I purchased them from a farm, and when I arrived to pick them up, the woman had already dug up all 100 of the plants with a PITCHFORK and put them bare-root into plastic bags. It was dark, so I couldn't plant them until first light. I babied them for a month before they looked like they'd live. But I followed Mel's advice, snipping runners and blooms, and they finally flourished. I'm letting them fruit just once before winter, and hopefully I'll get some nice strawberry jam!

The raspberries are partly visible in the back, left side. In the front is cinnamon basil, followed by oregano, thyme and other types of basil (all of which are barely visible). The lemongrass won't stop growing! Tomatoes in the back.

8 different types of tomatoes, onions have already been harvested.

Zucchini monster! It actually starts just in front of the tomatoes. I'm enjoying watching how far it grows.

This little beauty just took up residence in the back corner between the raspberries and tomatoes. She's quite accommodating, and I'm careful not to disturb her web when picking ripe, yellow raspberries off the vines.

And this melodious grasshopper was singing on the lemongrass when I was taking pictures! He's a clever little guy: I'd look on the top of the blade, he'd flip to the bottom. I'd look at the bottom, he's be back on top. This continued for about 5 minutes before I kept still, and he decided that I was safe.

That's all for this year! The peppers will be coming out soon (they really bombed this year), and garlic will go in. This was my first year veggie gardening, and I learned a lot!

THANK YOU, everyone!

-Michelle

glasgrl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glasgrl's 2010 SFG

Post  chocolatepop on 9/5/2010, 9:27 pm

Shocked AWESOME

chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl on 9/5/2010, 9:47 pm

Thank you!!!

There were failures: the peppers performed dismally due to a bacterial disease. By the time they recovered after I treated them, it was too late. One, poor pepper is trying to grow to maturity! LOL

Right now, the cucumbers are rapidly dying off (I looked up what was causing it, but now I've forgotten), although they're so close to the end of the season, anyway, that I'm just letting them go (I have 4 large plastic bags full of cukes in the fridge right now). Also, the zucchini has contracted powdery mildew (I water with a hose). Again, I don't care enough to treat at this point.

The strawberries came with brown-spot disease, but I've treated them twice, and all it resulted in was odd leaf growth. I read that as long as you can keep it to a minimum and it doesn't seem to affect the berries, that it's okay to leave it that way.

And I HATE Japanese Beetles!!! Next spring I'm putting milky spore powder on the lawn.

Now that I've made it sound like a disease incubator, I am quite happy with how the garden performed. Smile I'm very lucky to have a store called Brew & Grow nearby (they're company truck has a logo of angry, maniacal-looking cartoon tomatoes on it). They have many types of compost as well as vermiculite. Not cheap, unfortunately, but I'm in this for the long haul.

And I looked up that spider: she's (it's a girl) a Common Garden Spider orb-weaver. Extremely common in Britain and in every northern country.

-Michelle

glasgrl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 9/5/2010, 9:51 pm

I am all over you hating the japanese beetles, but I think MP takes a couple years to work, but better than nothing! I plan on doing it this fall AND next spring.

i found that simple baking powder, water, oil mix helped with PM. We have it too, silly Midwest weather. My cukes had downy mildew Sad So i got some odd veggies and not many either.

That spider gives me the creeps. I am NOT a spider person. Give me a snake any day...

how is the rest of your garden?

chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl on 9/5/2010, 10:28 pm

The rest has done pretty well (all floral). So much of it was "holding beds" that have now been broken up since we just had a deck installed (and a back door! We have direct access to the backyard now! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )

I'm about to start in on a shade garden by the side of the house. Many plants are sitting in pots waiting to go in. Some of the plants that were moved for the deck have now been planted against the far back fence (which eventually runs to the veggie garden and supports the tomatoes). The only thing I've really had problems with is one lilac bush: it's leaves have turned brown and crunchy and are falling off, all of them. I looked up lilac diseases, but I haven't found anything that looks as severe as this. There are 3 other lilacs nearby (all different varieties), and they're all doing well.

And a bunch of hostas are chilling out in the kiddie wading pool, waiting for the shade garden to be ready!

-Michelle

glasgrl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 9/5/2010, 10:41 pm

Your garden is beautiful! We got a good harvest, but it wasn't nearly that visually pleasing! Smile

miinva

Female Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 9/6/2010, 12:05 am

Gorgeous. The lemon grass is interesting. I would love to find out more about its culinary possibilities.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl on 9/9/2010, 11:37 pm

@Chopper wrote:Gorgeous. The lemon grass is interesting. I would love to find out more about its culinary possibilities.

It's used in Thai cooking. I thought that I would start to experiment with that this year, but I got ahead of myself.

When I pulled/cut the lemon grass, my hands smelled like lemon Pledge! Laughing

-Michelle

glasgrl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum