Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

water for tomato seedlings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

water for tomato seedlings

Post  ckernsgarden on 3/16/2010, 11:02 am

We are brand new to gardening and didn’t see this question addressed specifically in Mel’s All New SFG book or on this forum so be patient with us. We live in a cold spot in So Cal and have 3 2x2’ boxes for spring crops which are doing fine in Mel’s Mix. Last month we started heirloom tomato seeds for a summer crop. They were started in medium vermiculite in decomposable pots and they did sprout (grin). My husband then moved the best looking ones to a recycled well-cleaned plastic six pack with Mel’s Mix and they are beginning to show their first true leaves (I think). Throughout this entire process we are unsure of how/when to water. In the new book (Tomatoes page 231) watering is discussed only after they are actually outside in the SFG. We have the little peat pots set in a plastic tray and use warm water in the tray instead of pouring water from the top- about every 3 days. For the six pack we are doing the same thing. So how much water should we use for tomato starts? Where is this covered in the new book? We’re complete newbies so please be kind. Thanks, C

ckernsgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: water for tomato seedlings

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/16/2010, 11:49 am

There’s a cold spot in southern California? Who knew?

This is actually a good question. For future reference, I would wait to transplant the first time until after the first true leaves show AND I would plant them right into the larger pots with mel's mix. Agro business gets away with multiple transplanting because of chemicals. I know it is a common practice so I am sure you are fine.

Here is the thing with water. Good drainage saves all kinds of woe. You can overwater but if the pots drain then the damage is small. Don't let the pots sit in water all the time. I am a dumb-luck gardener rather than some kind of smart gardener but tomato seedlings that occasionally get a little dry and wilty (not shriveled and dying but just unhappy looking) seem to do better when I transplant them. A little stress makes them stronger.

If you get better advice, go with that, but this is my $0.02 worth.

Deborah ....who used to panic about the babies and felt dumb too.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

thanks for $.02

Post  ckernsgarden on 3/16/2010, 12:26 pm

Lav Deb- Thanks for your 2 cents' worth of advice. We'll stop letting them sit in water constantly and "dry out" a tiny bit. By moving them to larger pots with Mel's Mix, do you mean something larger than a nursery six pack? We are still trying to make sense of the All New SFG book with no gardening background. For example, six pack wasn't defined well for a newbie.
The only other gardening experience we've had was a failure about 9-10 years ago where we currently live. The eager beavers that we are, we planted when the seed packets and Western Garden book said for So Cal. A-hem, our last overnight frost of 32* that year was May 9th, the morning of Mother's Day. Yes, I'm serious! Last week we woke to high 20s but a warm 42* this morning. We live in Riverside co but not in the mountains; just on a hill. Our back porch 2x2' boxes are covered to protect from cool overnight temps. So far we've harvested lettuce and have sweet onion, carrots, peas and strawberries and look forward to tomatoes and beans this summer. So far, the SFG works (grin).
Thanks for the help! C

ckernsgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/16/2010, 1:16 pm

I have so many essays to read that I have developed the bad habit of speed reading. I missed the part about the plastic 6-pks. They are fine where they are!!

Someone in California will have a better answer for you. I am in western Washington. Our tomatoes are not really safe outside until mid June (peppers and eggplant likes to wait for mid July when summer really starts for us....but then there is little time to make ripe fruit). This has really been an odd weather year. Progressive friends insist the problem is manmade and Christian friends are sure that it is a sign of end times, either way; I want tomatoes before the summer ends, never mind the world. Books give you the author’s best guess.

Was it Einstein who said that he did not have 10,000 failures but successfully eliminated 10,000 ways not to do something? Same for you. Keep poking seeds into the ground.

Deborah ....whose Western Garden is dog-eared and falling apart but believes that only the Bible is ...well, the Bible.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

I agree

Post  ckernsgarden on 3/16/2010, 1:43 pm

Deb- I agree! The Bible is the Bible (thankfully available in all languages)...but a couple of gardening books are good advice for a newbie hoping to harvest a few veggies to eat. You're also right about it being an odd weather year. I've never grown my own tomatoes and love the flavor of the heirlooms at our local farmer's mkt. We bought two heirloom varieties from rareseeds.com and two heirloom pkts from a local nursery. This year is a first for gardening and SFG so we are keeping a journal of what we are doing, temps, planting dates, sprouting dates, etc just to see what is working for us. If we get some tomatoes to eat- great. If there are enough to can- even better. The best thing is that we are loving the learning process.
This forum is another great way to learn from others. Thanks, C

ckernsgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/16/2010, 1:55 pm

I agree CK, (there are great books for gardeners) but the advice is like having an inside trader, really good but can still go south in an odd year like this one.

Deborah ....who has a couple of green tomato recipes for regular years

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum