Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello gardener's
by sanderson Today at 1:58 pm

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:39 pm

» Composting Particle Board?
by dk54321 Today at 12:56 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:38 pm

» New England August 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:13 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 12:06 pm

» The Best Steps for Storing Tomatillos
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:36 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by countrynaturals Today at 11:11 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by countrynaturals Today at 11:10 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by bigdogrock Today at 6:45 am

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Kelejan Yesterday at 6:20 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Baba Ghanoush
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:05 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:30 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:09 am

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/19/2017, 8:58 pm

» Oregon City Newbie
by trolleydriver 8/19/2017, 1:04 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by sanderson 8/19/2017, 12:53 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma 8/18/2017, 1:40 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver 8/18/2017, 12:10 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal 8/18/2017, 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising 8/17/2017, 9:53 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR 8/17/2017, 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone sad to see the summer ending?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  middlemamma on 9/12/2010, 10:21 pm

I sure am....

And feeling kinda sad I didnt find SFG years ago when I lived in a place I could have gardened year round... :S I always said the ground wasnt good for growing anything but rocks and weeds in Arizona...where I lived for 13 years. If I had known about SFG....well things would have been much different.

Sigh...oh well...I can't wait till it's time to plant the starts this winter...I'm planning on starting in February.

I started some peas and some other cool weather stuff...but not sure I did ok on timing or if they will produce anything before winter rears its head. It was another experiment here for me. Smile

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone sad to see the summer ending?

Post  camprn on 9/12/2010, 10:50 pm

I am sad summer is over. Sad
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 9/13/2010, 1:16 am

I used to live in Florida, Jennie, so I can sympathise with the loss of year-round gardening!

The trees are just beginning to turn, the apples are in the market (bought some yesterday), and the hay is being stacked in the fields...autumn is on its way, for sure. I'm sad at losing summer, but now starts the season for soups and stews and comfort food...and the goodies I have planned for the fall.

My tomatoes, peppers, corn, and pumpkins (2 new babies, so maybe jack o'lanterns after all!) are still going crazy, so I'm not ready to rip out and start over just yet...but the stack of fall veggie seed packets keeps getting bigger.

Last night we had friends over, and I had the last of *my* potatoes (steamed with a little butter) and a huge tomato and cucumber salad (with shallot and Feta cheese) with *my* tomatoes. Delicious, and our friends raved over how good they were. (It does do me proud to have French people rave about my cooking.)

Chilly in the mornings and evenings, too, now, no matter how warm the days are.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Anyone sad to see the summer ending

Post  Ray'ssfg on 9/13/2010, 5:52 am

rock on Down Under I am not sad to see the winter end. rock on
Bring on spring.
I will attempt to add some pictures of my winter garden and early spring plantings.
Ray'ssfg

Male Posts : 122

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whoops what happened to the photos ?

Post  Ray'ssfg on 9/13/2010, 6:14 am

Broad beans 8 ft high

Spinach and lettuce

silver beet, mini broccoli

winter silver beet

winter flowers

seeds planted in shade house

On Sunday I planted 16 varieties of flowers in seed trays and 9 varieties of veg's, all planted by the moon.
Next Wed Ruth and I fly to USA to visit family so will be off line for a month.
happy hi Cheers Ray Down Under
Ray'ssfg

Male Posts : 122

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beautiful

Post  ander217 on 9/13/2010, 7:29 am

Ray, your flowers are breathtakingly beautiful! If you can do this in the winter, I can't wait to see what you'll produce in your summer. Keep those pictures coming our way all during our winter, please.

Middlemama, have you tried planting kale? It will last long into the winter with a little mulch, and you can brush snow away from it to pick a few leaves. I've heard you can do the same thing with brussels sprouts but I've never grown those so I don't know for sure. They might be worth looking into for next year.

I'm going to try planting a box of lettuce and spinach under a growlight inside for fresh greens through the winter, and I also plan to pot up a few herbs from my herb garden to grow in my kitchen window. Before you know it, it will be time to start growing cool season transplants.

It's not the same as gardening outdoors but we can put a little green into those short winter days. Or, as LaFee says, you can kick back and cook a nice stew and take a well-deserved rest while you recharge your batteries for spring.
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec on 9/13/2010, 1:23 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but no, I'm not sorry. I had such a rough time this summer with bugs and a varmit and the heat and the drought and watering the gardens, which made my water bill shoot waaay up (had to stop watering and hope for the best), that if it hadn't been for all the money I have invested in my boxes and MM I might have given up for next year. I did finally give the green bean plants over to the bugs this year. But I'll try again next spring and hopefully it'll be a better year. I'm not doing fall planting. Will take a break from gardening until spring so I can come back to it with a fresh, good attitude. I'm not blaming SFG at all - it was just a rough gardening year for me.

Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt on 9/13/2010, 1:44 pm

I'm kinda melancholy about it, mostly because we had tomatoes coming out our proverbial ears for the first time ever, thanks to SFG, tomato watering trays, and red plastic mulch. We also have two earthboxes, and they produced very well.

I'm getting ready for fall, though, and it'll be interesting to see what happens in the SF beds. DH put in red leaf lettuce last week and rigged up a shade for it. We're watering by misting until they settle in. I planted 45 Spanish onion plants this weekend and plan to follow up with a number of others. So the gardening will continue. We just won't have tomatoes (unless we want to try a greenhouse thingy -- probably not).
junequilt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 9/13/2010, 1:44 pm

Bec, you have my sympathy. We in the Pacific NW had a terrible year too with late rain and cold weather this spring, which lasted forever (mid to late June) Many of us replanted seeds three and four times before we got any plants. That left us with not enough season to bring many of our crops to maturity. Sad
Rest, recharge and try again next year.
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec on 9/13/2010, 2:22 pm

@Furbalsmom wrote:We in the Pacific NW had a terrible year too with late rain and cold weather this spring, which lasted forever (mid to late June) Many of us replanted seeds three and four times before we got any plants. That left us with not enough season to bring many of our crops to maturity. Sad Rest, recharge and try again next year.

Now that's rough. I shouldn't complain then. I didn't have nearly as big a harvest as I expected but at least I did have a harvest. To not have anything would be really disheartening - yet you still seem to have a good attitude. Good for you! (and I really mean that - it's not sarcasm.) Thanks for the encouragement to pick myself up and get back on the horse. Smile

Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt on 9/13/2010, 3:46 pm

Once again I am reminded of the people who do this for a living: farmers. We are all dependent upon Mother Nature to a certain extent, but I can't imagine what farmers must go through when they have a poor growing season.
junequilt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 9/13/2010, 5:41 pm

No, I am not at all sad to see summer ending. I loved the spring crops, but once summer officially hit it was all I could do to keep things alive. August was so brutal I didn't even get to seed broccoli and cauliflower. Well, I seeded but it was too hot and dry to germinate. My fall/ winter garden is going to be somewhat spare this year -- lots of greens-- but that will give me time to plan to overhaul the SFG boxes and decide where new ones will go. Plus I am looking forward to cooler weather to do some other things on the property (like level 4 yards of dirt still stacked up and begin laying brick pathways).

So, farewell summer, hello fall, welcome winter -- look forward to spring.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 9/13/2010, 5:44 pm

Ray -- fabulous gardens. If you were to compare yourself to the States, what temperate zone would you be in? Ie, how cold do you get and when is your first frost-free date? With our global community here, it's hard to picture you getting ready for summer whilst we are closing it down.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

End of summer.....

Post  trustinhart on 9/13/2010, 5:48 pm

I have mixed feelings. I'm tried of the heat, but hate to think about heating oil bills. I have put in some bush beans. I'l try some garlic in October. I'm investing a lot of my time in making the compost better. I didn't get a huge harvest, but this year was the grand experiment and for that result, I am ecstatic. This has turned me around for gardening and I'm lovin' it.
I'm so glad that we are world-wide. It's so exciting to see pics from different hemispheres and climates all at the same time. To quote the Discovery channel, "The world is awesome"
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird on 9/13/2010, 5:51 pm

Personnaly I am looking forward to some rest !!!!!!!!!
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/13/2010, 6:22 pm

Jeeze Ray! I wish I had flowers in the winter! Mostly I'm sad about the end of the summer because it means 5 months of nasty cold weather with snow. I really, really dislike shoveling snow. I did find a snowblower on Craig'slist for cheap this summer, however I think it needs a tune up. This is what winter looks like here, on a good day.
This farm is just down the road.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec on 9/13/2010, 6:31 pm

Camprn, What a BEAUTIFUL farm! I LOVE it! BUT.....even though the snow is beautiful - that wasn't a pleasant reminder of last winter. Hopefully this winter won't be as bad.

Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 9/13/2010, 9:06 pm

Camprn....that looks JUST LIKE a puzzle I have here...you sure that's real???

Just kidding!!! Beautuful!!!!
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 on 9/13/2010, 11:05 pm

I'm looking forward to some relief from this summer's heat and humidity.. its been brutal down here. One thing you guys in the more northern climes might want to try growing is asparagus. You plant in a permanent bed as it comes up year after year, and it will even poke up thru the snow in the spring. I never liked it until I tried it fresh, its altogether different than the nasty canned stuff..just a thought....

sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum