Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 7:22 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:36 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 6:06 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 1:19 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 12:43 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:05 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:32 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning substitutions

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Canning substitutions

Post  camprn on 10/21/2010, 8:12 pm

@Megan wrote:Okay, not quite a substitution, but.... what about multiplying a recipe? I vaguely recall Ander telling me this is a no-no, too, but I can't find it. Is it safe to multiply a recipe? Some of the recipes in the Blue Ball book say x pounds per quart, etc. (for tomatoes, specifically) but can other recipes be multiplied?
I will double or triple a recipe, but I consider V E R Y carefully how late I want to be up.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 10/21/2010, 8:17 pm

Well, the one I am looking at has a very low yield (tomatillo salsa).

On another note... I bought about 20 pounds of tomatoes today at the farmer's market. Shocked I think I will be having a busy weekend!

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Double Trouble

Post  ander217 on 10/22/2010, 6:41 am

@Megan wrote:Okay, not quite a substitution, but.... what about multiplying a recipe? I vaguely recall Ander telling me this is a no-no, too, but I can't find it. Is it safe to multiply a recipe? Some of the recipes in the Blue Ball book say x pounds per quart, etc. (for tomatoes, specifically) but can other recipes be multiplied?

This tells why not to double a jam recipe:

Homemade Jam Recipe

The main reason not to double a canning recipe is because extra food in the pot throws off the cooking time. With double the volume, how do you know when it's cooked long enough to can? Also, once you start canning, the food in the last jar you can will have cooked much longer than it would have if you hadn't doubled the recipe. So even though let's say you started out canning sliced apples, you might end up with applesauce.

When talking about doubling other recipes, some things are okay, some aren't. For example, when baking cakes you could double the batter ingredients, but it's easy to overmix the batter because you'll be mixing longer with each addition of eggs or flour, and you will be adding more baking pans to the oven which changes the baking time. Doubling recipes which include gelatin should not have double the amount of liquid added. It takes less liquid to achieve the same result. (Maybe pectin works the same way, which would explain why my strawberry freezer jam was so runny when I tried to double a recipe one year.)

Professional cooks use large-volume recipes all the time, but they use recipes and equipment designed for it.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 10/22/2010, 7:07 am

It can also change the pH of whatever you're canning, too. More acidic is no problem, but if it's not acidic enough, you'll be dealing with food poisoning, and there isn't enough of a time savings on the planet to make THAT risk worthwhile.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don't do it

Post  ander217 on 10/22/2010, 7:23 am

Yikes! I didn't think about that. affraid

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 10/22/2010, 7:40 am

doubling something like simple syrup for canning fruit or tomato sauce to fill in around tomato halves or something is fine...it's the mixtures (relishes, salsas, inc) that you don't want to change the proportions.

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 10/22/2010, 6:32 pm

Okay... I get it regarding not putting extra jars in the canner... and also that prior to canning, cooking a larger amount of food than called for could cause it to cook more slowly, change pH, etc.

But say I have a recipe for tomatillo salsa which makes two pints. (Which I do.) There's no reason I couldn't quintuple the ingredients, is there, so long as I cook it in multiple batches and then process it two jars at a time??? :?:

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 10/22/2010, 7:13 pm

I'd find another recipe, or make it two pints at a time, but nope...you shouldn't mix more than one batch at a time.

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 10/22/2010, 7:19 pm

I do have another recipe... interesting. I think I have enough to make both recipes; it would be interesting to see if the flavor is any different. (I'm going to be playing the same game with two tomato salsa recipes out of the Blue Ball book. There is a Spicy Salsa, and a Zesty Salsa.... varying amounts of ingredients. Can't pick between the two so doing both! Smile

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros on 1/11/2011, 8:59 am

@Megan wrote:I do wish the Blue Ball book would give at least a few serving ideas, though.... there are some things in there (pickled pineapple!) that sound fascinating but I have no clue what I could use them with.

Have you already figured out what you can do with the pickled pineapple? How is this pineapple pickled? Because maybe I have a recipie that might get you on the way. But it depends on how you pickle it. (dictionary didn't give another explanation about pickling than that it is a way to preserve Shocked so I am not entirely sure about the meaning of it). Because this book is going about marmalades, gellies, chutneys and compotes, but also has recipies on how to use them in a dish.

Zephyros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 1/11/2011, 5:56 pm

In a nutshell, you boil together brown sugar, red wine vinegar, pineapple juice and spices, simmer to make a syrup, add pineapple spears and heat them, then remove the spears, boil the syrup, pack the spears in the jars and add syrup, then process. I'm sure I could come up with uses for it once I made it. Smile

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros on 1/15/2011, 1:22 pm

pineapple spears are chuncks of pineapple right? Because once again the dictionary failed. When my mom makes sauerkraut, she puts shopped pineapple in it. She usually buys the tinned version of shopped pineapple at the store. I don't know if it is nice with those spiced pickled pineapple. But I must warn you that putting pineapple in the sauerkraut makes it taste more acid, but we like that.

Zephyros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 1/15/2011, 1:47 pm

Pineapple Spears are cuts of pineapple made after peeling, that run from the top of the fresh pineapple to the bottom. They are usually long and narrow.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/15/2011, 2:26 pm

@Zephyros wrote:pineapple spears are chuncks of pineapple right? .

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 1/15/2011, 2:33 pm

Camprn, a picture is worth a Thousand words, Much more descriptive than I was.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 1/15/2011, 2:46 pm

Go camprn!! Zephyros, I'm sorry I didn't describe that better. I was in a rush when I was typing it.

I suspect the recipe calls for spears rather than slices because even with a wide-mouthed mason jar, it could be hard to make rings small enough/round enough to fit the jars just right without wasting material.

Canned pineapple in the US is not what I would call pickled. It is typically canned in a sweet syrup that does not have the vinegar or spices. I'm curious how that adds to the mix. I have made salsa with pineapple in it that is really good.

I have a big ham I need to cook soon, so maybe I will keep an eye out for some fresh pineapple and see how it goes...... study

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/15/2011, 2:59 pm

ok, Megan, you are making me hungry. What a Face

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 1/15/2011, 3:39 pm

Hee! Well, sure enough, there was some fresh pineapple at the store and they smelled pretty good, too.. but I'm not paying $8 for two pineapples to make 4 pints of the stuff! At least, not today. Smile

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros on 1/16/2011, 3:16 am

The pineapples here are also stored in sweet sirup and not pickled with spices and everything. I don't know how your recipe changes the taste of the pineapple. I find it hard to imagine. But it could give an interesting taste to the sauerkraut. It also could make it very horibble. I don't know.

Thanks for sharing the picture to make it clear. I saw those on the internet too. But sometimes it is very hard to be sure you got the right picture. (There is a lot of rubish out there to)

Zephyros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 1/16/2011, 7:14 am

Megan, that sounds like pickled peaches, which are AWESOME when they're home-made.

I've only eaten them for dessert, over ice cream.

The vinegar is only there to raise the acidity for the canning, and with the sugar and spices, it isn't all that noticeable.

Pineapple in sauerkraut sounds interesting...I could see how it could be really good!

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros on 1/16/2011, 8:23 am

It is really nice. I am always a bit disappointed when my mom doesn't put them in there. Exspecially when the vinegar changes the taste of the pineapple to much, I think those spices might add a very interesting taste to the sauerkraut.

It is very easy to make too. You cook the potatoes and heat the sauerkraut. When the cooking of the potatoes is done, you mash them with some milk and salt and peper to make it nice and smoot and than you add the sauerkraut and the pineapple pieces. jumy jumy! You can eat it with smoked sausage, or you can stir some bacon pieces in the stew aswell

Zephyros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 1/16/2011, 9:31 am

Oh wait...is that the soup called snert?

My Dutch friend made that for me a couple of years ago....ooh, it's SO good!

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 1/17/2011, 8:35 pm

I am still trying to get my head around the idea of pineapple and sauerkraut together. Mind you, I am a VERY new newcomer to the sauerkraut-loving fold. I was completely ignorant of it (read, "ick, ick, not trying that!!!") for the first 40 or so years of my life. Now I'm trying to make up for lost time. Sadly, hubby is still back in the ick crowd. (He seems to dislike anything that is pickled, actually.) So far, though, I've really only had it with beef sandwiches.

There is a subtle sweetness to sauerkraut that could be very good with the sweet/tart of pineapple...theoretically. Hm....... :scratch:

Oh, and by the way....

@ Jennie / Middlemamma: I finally found a fan for my garlic jelly. My niece adores the stuff.

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros on 1/18/2011, 2:38 pm

No, it is not snert. Snert is made of peas. But it is not exactly as peas soup (I was very disapointed when I had pea soup in the UK, because I thought it was like snert, but in the UK pea soup is very different from snert). Sauerkraut is a white cabbage that is stored in salt for a while, which makes it tasting a bit acid-like (sauer). I am not entirely sure if it is the proper english word, although when I tried to find it in an online dictionary, he gave me this, while I know for sure that this is actually the german word for it and I found that a bit weird that he gave me this as english word. If you translate the word exactly from duch (or german) to english you get acid cabbage.

And pineapple with sauerkraut is really nice. I wish I could convince you, but my platter with sauerkraut didn't fit into the dvd-player of my computer to send it over the internet, so that you can download and try it. lol! And it is not as acid as vinegar. Or the acid candy they sell. Just a nice kind of acid taste (it is hard to describe. And you also have that taste of the mashed potatoes). But I must admid: you like it or you don't.

Zephyros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 1/18/2011, 2:50 pm

No, for some reason I was thinking the sauerkraut was *in* the snert.

The English word you're looking for is 'sour' -- sounds the same, just different letters.

Megan, if you want to go head over heels for sauerkraut, find a German (or Alsatian French) neighborhood somewhere and try weinkraut - sauerkraut made with white wine. It's my favourite -- so much less sour than vinegar kraut!

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum