Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 3:25 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:32 pm

» Coffee Substitute?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Today at 10:57 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:04 am

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:02 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:00 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 8:31 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 7:27 am

» Worm bin?
by robert1938 Today at 6:47 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:08 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 10:03 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rain, rain, go away!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rain, rain, go away!

Post  elliephant on 9/21/2010, 12:00 pm

LOL...all summer I would have loved to have gotten rain, but this is starting to drive me crazy. I knew September was our rainiest month, but this 60% chance of rain each and every day is really interfering with putting in my fall garden! Every time I make it out there it starts raining and every time I don't, it doesn't rain!

I'm making progress little by little, but am behind where I thought I would be. I had to move one of my beds because the ground wasn't level enough where I put it in the spring and I was losing MM. Finally got the trellis up on that one and hope to start planting/transplanting tomorrow if the weather cooperates. One more box to put together, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding a level spot for it that doesn't get too much shade or cut into the kids' play area too much jocolor

So far I have one tomato plant that is about 2 1/2 feet tall. It was a sucker taken from my spring tomatoes that I rooted back at the end of June and have almost killed time and time again indoors all summer. I have one square of cucumbers with one as tall as the tomato plant, but totally infested with some kind of bug that is eating the leaves (and any cucumbers that try to get started). Just brought out the big guns on that one as neem oil and insecticidial soap weren't doing anything. The other cuke in the square is just a seedling as I had to replant when the first died in hot spell.

I have several squares of bush beans that I planted in late July when I just NEEDED to see something grow. They have been eaten up by bugs, suffered from not enough iron, and just generally suffered. BUT, I have a handful of beans growing now!

I have one yellow crookneck plant that is doing so nicely I hardly dare to mention it. But box it is in is falling apart. I made it from reclaimed materials that I knew wouldn't last forever, but I was hoping it would last until first freeze (mid Dec). I'm actually thinking I might just wrap the box in duct tape and hold it together that way/ Laughing

Anyone else doing a fall garden?

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rain, rain, go away!

Post  pattipan on 9/21/2010, 12:12 pm

Send that rain to my neck of the woods, we're having a drought! Grass is dead again for the second time this summer. SFG is back on city water and our rain barrel has been empty for weeks...

pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/21/2010, 2:55 pm

YeaH I want the rain too. We are short about 9 inches of rain for the past 4 months.
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 on 9/21/2010, 3:03 pm

I need some as well in Louisiana. My old rain barrel (55 gal) is about dry, which is why I upped it to a larger 250 gal rain barrel. Hopefully that will last me through these dry spells.
NAR56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 9/21/2010, 3:13 pm

LOL, Ok, I freely admit that I am a rain wimp. I grew up in the deserts of the CA/AZ border where we got 2-3 inches of rain a YEAR. The rainest month here is September and that averages 4 inches. Go ahead and laugh.

elliephant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 9/21/2010, 4:51 pm

elliephant wrote:
I have one yellow crookneck plant that is doing so nicely I hardly dare to mention it. But box it is in is falling apart. I made it from reclaimed materials that I knew wouldn't last forever, but I was hoping it would last until first freeze (mid Dec). I'm actually thinking I might just wrap the box in duct tape and hold it together that way/ Laughing

Go for it elliphant. Quoting Red Green from a Canadian TV production: Duct Tape is the handyman's secret weapon.

My fall garden so far consists of one square of radishes. I am waiting to hear back from a guy we know that has a horse stable. He said I could have lots of fresh horse manure to put in the bottom of my cold frame to make it into a hot bed. Hope he calls soon I really want to get that done soon or it will be too late.

Gk
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/21/2010, 5:27 pm

Old Hippie wrote:Quoting Red Green from a Canadian TV production: Duct Tape is the handyman's secret weapon. Gk

That stuff, it works in the rain, eh?
camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 9/21/2010, 6:00 pm

gk
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rain....

Post  trustinhart on 9/21/2010, 9:41 pm

"Well, if the women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy"- Red Green
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 9/21/2010, 11:46 pm

NAR56 wrote:I need some as well in Louisiana. My old rain barrel (55 gal) is about dry, which is why I upped it to a larger 250 gal rain barrel. Hopefully that will last me through these dry spells.

We have four 45 Canadian gal barrels (55 gal. U.S.) that we have hooked up for watering the garden and our cedar hedge. We also have another four ready to set up next year. Our house is very small (under 900 sq.ft.) and it only takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to fill them when it rains hard. That is 180 gal. in under an hour. We can get that easily in one thunderstorm. That can last me quite a while. I also use water from doing dishes to water, especially if I am running low on rainwater. We are hoping to figure out a way to install a diverter on the grey water from the bath tub and the laundry to also use for watering.

I learned a lot of watering saving methods as a kid gardening with my mom and grandmother in Saskatchewan where it was very dry.

GK
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 9/27/2010, 1:34 pm

My DH has a Red Green DVD, lol.

elliephant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 9/27/2010, 2:06 pm

Awesome! I didn't realize anyone outside of Canada knew who he was/is. He is a household icon here.

Would be fun to see his take on SFG. I am sure he would come up with something hilarious.

GK
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower on 9/27/2010, 3:47 pm

Oh yeah!!! I just love Red Green... he's hysterically funny!

Maybe we ~should~ write to him about doing a segment on SFG. He's sure to come up with something interesting! Can you just picture him trying to assemble a covered wagon?
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel on 9/30/2010, 7:50 pm

We finally got rain today ! we went for a walk in it ! around the lake ! I think my garden loves it , everything is just so refreshed looking compared to drooping in the triple digits just days ago !
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/30/2010, 7:53 pm

Garden Angel wrote:We finally got rain today ! we went for a walk in it ! around the lake ! I think my garden loves it , everything is just so refreshed looking compared to drooping in the triple digits just days ago !
+1
We got more rain this afternoon than we have in the past 4 months. A bit more than 3 inches of rain fell today.
What a Face
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum