Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by trolleydriver Today at 11:15 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 9:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My mom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My mom

Post  dixie on 10/5/2010, 9:57 pm

My mom is doing great considering all she has been through. I took my work computer to her house & am still working down there during the day, but REALLY want to come back home. She is killing me. She is cold natured and it ws in the upper 30s this morning. The heat was on 70, which is already at my upper comfort zone, but since it was cold outside, she was cold too & asked me to turn the thermostat up to 78. Yes, 78. Iasked her if she was serious & she was. After she went back to bed around 10 AM I started sneaking it back down a couple of degrees at a time. I was MISERABLE, throat dried out, coughing, the whole deal. I opened the window where I wsa working, turned on ceiling fan. All during the day I kept inching that thermostat down little by little, not turning on the hall light to be sure she wouldn't catch me. Then this evening when my brother came in I told him about it. He checked the thermostat - it ws still on 76. Evidently every time she went through the hall she checked it & turned it back up to 78.

I know it wsa a small price to pay for still having her around, but it sure was hot.

dixie

Female Posts : 754

View user profile http://www.zibbet.com/dixiedazzletoo

Back to top Go down

Re: My mom

Post  Megan on 10/5/2010, 11:04 pm

Dixie, you are a saint. Bless you. I don't do well at all with hot temperatures either.

Interim suggestions (aside from some of those high tech gel wrap bandanas): Soak a tea towel in water, wring it out, and toss it in the freezer until it gets stiff and frosty. Put it over your head, or around your neck, or wrists/ankles to help cool down a bit. A cool foot bath would probably do nicely also.

My best wishes for your mom. Hang in there!

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 10/5/2010, 11:22 pm

Oh poor Dixie! I am so glad she is getting better..but for your body temperature sake I will pray she gets batter FASTER!!! Very Happy

I had to laugh because in the winter hubby and I do that thermostat dance!

Hang in there...my hubby eats those Dreyer's all natural 100% juice popcicles to stay cool in the winter! LOL

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel on 10/6/2010, 11:55 am

Would it help to make your mother warmer with say an electric blanket so she will not rely on the thermostat? maybe if you heated her up you can be more normal and make your enviroment more to your liking. Is there a room heater you can use for her? You are a truly self sacrificing person. We are here for you too! take care.

Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie on 10/6/2010, 10:17 pm

1. I'm not a saint
2. I'm definitely not self sacrificing

Although I was miserable, it was still funny because I thought I was sneaking something on her & there she was turning the thermostat back up every time I turned it down.. I should have known better. Yesterday she told me several times that she thought she was going to be ok by herself & that I could go back home if I wanted. She rarely uses her walker, makes breakfast for both of us, is doing laundry now, so today after another day of unbearable heat, I brought my computer home. I'm just a few hundred yards from her, so can get to her quickly.

It was almost as funny as the ice maker. after so much trouble from Sun to Tues trying to get the DSL hooked up so I could work, I finally sat down to work for a while. I took a break to get some ice water & the kitchen floor had flooded. The ice maker had broken - filled up the ice container, flooded the freezer, poured over into the fridge, filled up the bottom of it & onto the floor. I had to go find the shop vac & vacuum everything up. At that point it was all such a joke. No sense in crying about it. I'm probably going to write a book......

dixie

Female Posts : 754

View user profile http://www.zibbet.com/dixiedazzletoo

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 10/7/2010, 12:02 pm

hang in there, Dixie!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel on 10/7/2010, 12:42 pm

Sometimes it seems when it rains it pours ! sounds like you could use some serious time just to your self ! make some tea and go sit in your beautiful garden ! of course in just a few minutes the garden will draw you in because you will see something like a weed to pluck or trim something and then before you know it , you mind is on what you enjoy ! your garden is waiting for you , it says "Dixie come and spend some time with me today."

Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 10/7/2010, 4:46 pm

Hummmmm....I wonder if you broke the thromostat so that it always read 78.... Shocked

@dixie wrote:My mom is doing great considering all she has been through. I took my work computer to her house & am still working down there during the day, but REALLY want to come back home. She is killing me. She is cold natured and it ws in the upper 30s this morning. The heat was on 70, which is already at my upper comfort zone, but since it was cold outside, she was cold too & asked me to turn the thermostat up to 78. Yes, 78. Iasked her if she was serious & she was. After she went back to bed around 10 AM I started sneaking it back down a couple of degrees at a time. I was MISERABLE, throat dried out, coughing, the whole deal. I opened the window where I wsa working, turned on ceiling fan. All during the day I kept inching that thermostat down little by little, not turning on the hall light to be sure she wouldn't catch me. Then this evening when my brother came in I told him about it. He checked the thermostat - it ws still on 76. Evidently every time she went through the hall she checked it & turned it back up to 78.

I know it wsa a small price to pay for still having her around, but it sure was hot.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My mom

Post  trustinhart on 10/7/2010, 5:35 pm

Oh Dixie, you are such a trooper. You're so right, may as well laugh as cry and you know that book you're write? it will be a NY Times, Bestseller praise

Hang in there and know we love you!!!

trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum