Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 7:27 am

» Worm bin?
by robert1938 Today at 6:47 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by sanderson Today at 3:28 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:04 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by LizDTM Yesterday at 11:37 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:30 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:01 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/19/2017, 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 9:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How'd it get to be October so fast?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How'd it get to be October so fast?!

Post  LaFee on 10/6/2010, 4:52 am

Hello to all the European gardeners...we've had a chilly, wet, gloomy autumn so far here in France -- how's everyone else's weather been?

My SFG is still producing (I have lost count of how many kilos of tomatoes we've eaten and given away), but autumn is taking its toll -- the tomatoes are starting to go pale and drop the green fruit, and the basil has slowed down. I have a few ears of corn that the smut hasn't claimed yet (so next year I'm planting a different, earlier variety), a couple of anemic bouquets of broccoli, and one last pumpkin getting ripe.

Just planted my fall crops this morning - we're supposed to have a couple of days of light rain and gentler temperatures, so I've planted:

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Kale (an Italian variety sent by a pal)
Carrots
Mache
Radishes
Winter Lettuce
Spinach

The slugs have made their return, so I'm hoping to get some Bt sprayed this afternoon.

I found a small vinyl greenhouse at Lidl this summer for a whole 10E that will cover all but the last two rows of my box - so I think with that, my protected little corner should produce for well into the fall (crossing fingers) Haven't decided yet if I'll try something else for the last two rows, or if I'll just cover them and let them lie fallow over the winter....anybody have thoughts?

So...what's going on in your garden, now that the kids are back in school and life is returning for whatever passes for normal?

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How'd it get to be October so fast?!

Post  Mirjam on 10/12/2010, 1:38 pm

For us in Holland, the weather in octobre has so far been much better than in septembre. I've cleaned up my beds, taken all summer-veggies out (picked the last aubergines this afternoon), and mixed in a fair portion of compost in all (well, all three Very Happy ) beds.
I still have some carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts and cauliflower growing, although I don't think those last two will produce much, as snails and caterpillars have done a great job at trimming all leaves... Oh well, better luck next year Smile

I've made a plastic greenhouse-like cover for my 4*4 bed, (just sewed some heavy duty garbagebags together as an experiment, it turned out great!), so I put in some seeds for lettuce, winterspinach, leeks and rockette.

In my six-square cold frame I'm planning to grow some mache, but first I want to raise that bed some more, because I think stuff will grow better in a little more soil. It was 6 inches to start with, but during the season the soil seems to "sink in" a bit, so I'm doubling the height. If it doesn't help, it won't hurt either. And I have some mix left from the pots I tried to grow summersquash in (well, it grew allright, but the snails ate all the flowers Smile), so I might as well put that in the bed.

Anyway, everything looks neat and tidy now, and I'm already planning for next year (better planting plan, building other trellises and putting them in different places, making a wishlist of seeds...). I hope this year winter will be over a bit sooner than last year, so we can start over soon!
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

View user profile http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 10/12/2010, 3:05 pm

I second the weather, Mirjam (and I'm glad you're still here!) -- October has been sunny and dry so far -- it was warm first, and now it's pleasant, with a very autumn chill in the air.

My radishes have begun to sprout already...so at least *something* will come from my fall garden!

The trees in the garden are doing their best to add some compost to my SFG...I'm leaving what I can, and brushing aside what's covering up my seeds.

Good for you on your harvest -- and I hope you find an answer for the snails. I finally bought some Bacillus - expensive, but it looks like it will last a while -- and it seems to have done away with the slugs that were eating all my lettuce.

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam on 10/12/2010, 3:18 pm

a few years ago I used nematodes to kill the snails, and it worked great untill a short heatwave killed all the nematodes too (there need to be enough snails to prey on, as well as a bit of moisture). But I've never had as few snails as that year, so I'm planning on trying that again next spring. It's not a cheap way to get rid of snails, but having something to harvest is worth a few bucks.
In the mean time, while cleaning out the rest of the garden (a lot of cleaning out to do, it's filled with ground-covering creepers like alchemilla, vinca, hedera and ajuga - snail heaven, but they keep the weeds out -what was I thinking!) I'm finding snail eggs everywhere, so I get rid of those too. And the bucket of salty water is always near, when I'm in the garden Smile One day I will conquer the snail problem... Very Happy

Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

View user profile http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 10/12/2010, 4:55 pm

I've been trying to put off the next job -- yanking out all the Virginia creeper, now that it's going dormant. Ugh.

THAT will go out for the municipal composting, because I sure don't want it in MY compost!

(visions of Audrey II rising out of my bin....FEED ME, SEYMOUR!)

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum