Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Today at 3:42 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:32 am

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Howdy, from Central Florida
by sanderson Today at 3:29 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 3:24 am

» Biochar?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:30 am

» Compost pit?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:05 am

» Coffee Substitute?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in October 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:20 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:55 am

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/21/2017, 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/21/2017, 5:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 4:10 pm

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid 10/21/2017, 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 11:54 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB 10/20/2017, 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM 10/20/2017, 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cover Crops??

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cover Crops??

Post  sanderson on 10/31/2016, 4:21 am

Just a little sharing, here. My aggie friend recommended not using "grasses" due to the root density. I think that was the reason. Any how, he recommends a mix of seeds, some narrow and deep, some shallow and broad rooted.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14797

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 10/31/2016, 5:27 am

sanderson wrote:Just a little sharing, here.  My aggie friend recommended not using "grasses" due to the root density.  I think that was the reason.  Any how, he recommends a mix of seeds, some narrow and deep, some shallow and broad rooted.

Thanks Sanderson, for the suggestion.
Obviously, I like cutting into new pathway that cut down our expanses , but increase the results with our plants.  after watching the video from the leaf mold/compost versus Back to Eden video, I change my mind somewhat about the grasses. I don't remember which video, but it's not # 1 or #2. possibly not #3,4. not sure. but in one of the videos he just using hairy vetch with tomatoes I believe and grasses with peppers. He open the ground so we could see the result on miccorhizae, which causes the roots to share the water, bacteria and fungi, etc. the massive roots were not a problem.  This was  a different concept to accept until I visually saw it.
 I bought a mixed seed package that I'm going to plant tomorrow.[url=Peaceful Valley Organic Premium Soil Builder Mix - Raw Seed]Peaceful Valley Organic Premium Soil Builder Mix - Raw Seed[/url]
 It fits the suggestion of your aggie friend. Currently the mix contains: Bell Beans, Biomaster or 4010 Peas, Purple Vetch, Hairy Vetch, Common Vetch and Cayuse or Monida Oats.

I do believe the grasses will be a problem with the non miccorhizae plants, so I going to scattered lightly different seeds, mainly some wheat and rye, but they will be one or two seeds  here and there. may also try some winter peas.

this is an experiment of taking the idea down to the SFG beds. will post result. if it works it will be great, because it takes no time to plant a seed here and there.
This is not about preventing erosion, break up the soil, preventing weeds, because we don't have those problems with SFG. but increasing organic matter, nutrient cycling, nitrogen fixation, attracting beneficial insects, nematodes control and miccorhizae fungi growth is a great goal, if it can be achieved by simply adding some seeds to our beds.
we'll see how it goes.
Patrick on one yard revolution, youtube channel is doing it now with good results. The difference is Patrick doesn't show what happens below the soil and the other guy is dedicated of teaching by visual proof what happening.
also, I'm going to try the self reseeding of my greens beds into the spring. will see how it goes.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/31/2016, 8:36 am

sanderson wrote:Just a little sharing, here.  My aggie friend recommended not using "grasses" due to the root density.  I think that was the reason.  Any how, he recommends a mix of seeds, some narrow and deep, some shallow and broad rooted.

This sounds like a great idea. I heard of cover crops last year, just found one or two and went with it..Some good input here is going to make me investigate this topic further. In any event, I sure love looking at the green all winter, at least when I'm able to sit out near the garden.. My deck is close to the garden, when fall close into winter I change things around and half close it in, a roof over head gives me to opportunity to enjoy being outside when winter takes breaks.
I'll sit there with coffee or hot chocolate in hand thinking about the next season..
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1925

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/31/2016, 11:42 am

For any new members, cover crops are not a necessary step.  Mel simplified the process for us.  The Square Foot Gardening technique is so complete that I would call cover cropping a labor of love and an extra curricular activity. The magic is in the compost and Mel's Mix as described in his book.
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/31/2016, 3:52 pm

llama momma wrote:For any new members, cover crops are not a necessary step.  Mel simplified the process for us.  The Square Foot Gardening technique is so complete that I would call cover cropping a labor of love and an extra curricular activity.  The magic is in the compost and Mel's Mix as described in his book.

You said it all...All in the compost.
If I had it to do over, I would learn composting first, a most rewarding task.
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/31/2016, 3:58 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
llama momma wrote:For any new members, cover crops are not a necessary step.  Mel simplified the process for us.  The Square Foot Gardening technique is so complete that I would call cover cropping a labor of love and an extra curricular activity.  The magic is in the compost and Mel's Mix as described in his book.

You said it all...All in the compost.
If I had it to do over, I would learn composting first, a most rewarding task.

Thank you Jimmy for being you and so understanding.  I didn't mean to squash any enthusiasm on your part or anyone else's.  I just try to express retaining the simple yet powerful teachings of Mel!
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/31/2016, 5:19 pm

The funny thing is that many of us longer term ANSFG adherents know that Mel's system works anywhere in the world , it's as cheap as you can get especially if you make a decent amount of home made compost ( Not Mel's starter / initial kick starting mix ) prior to setting up your square foot beds for you can use the quality home made compost neat it has enough drainage , moisture retention  & nutrients on its own.

I've followed these reinvention of the wheel things/ ideas many times , again & again non come anywhere near to Mel's proven idea's .

Even after 40 or so years of row gardening  & the last 18 or so following and eventually fully implementing everything in Mel's last  ANSFG book ( when I joined the site ) , where we now use a non mother earth soil growth medium , I don't see any improvements happening over what Mel said .

I've reread all his three main books many , many times over , some pages , I could almost repeat verbatim . Yet I'm still discovering little gems that had previously eluded me ,  It's like Mel's popped back and inserted a few more interesting & useful lines whilst I'm asleep .

Honest guys & gals it's a complete system , you don't need other books , you Tube clips  one sided arguments  etc etc. or any additional expenditure of money or a lot of extra hard work energy once you get the system up & going for a couple of years .

So long as you read the manual shown in my strap line time & time again , so you start to understand what Mel has really said you'll not go wrong .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3737

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/31/2016, 9:58 pm

Plantoid ...

An excellent statement
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 11/1/2016, 9:18 am

I wholly agreed with what llama and planetoid have to say. this research and development project/experiment is only for people who like tinkering with new ideas. The the ANSFG is sufficient and complete. the R&D Journey is for us tinkerers only. Like working on a car, boat, kitchen appliance etc... It addresses the what if... is there something more curiosity within some of us or have we arrives at all the knowledge we can have in this field. It like saying "all the gold in the world is in China". I wondered is that true?

Thanks Sanderson for changing the name. This thread was started before I realized I needed to separate the name from SFG to prevent confusion. Let the experiments continue. To infinity and beyond.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/16/2017, 11:20 am

Bump

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum