Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:53 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:34 pm

» To all my SFG pals and more.
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:34 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:27 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 5:29 pm

» Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:36 pm

» Help - Building new raised beds
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:27 pm

» Seed starting station..
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:54 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 5:40 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by Kelejan Today at 2:26 am

» Escarole in SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:55 am

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» Cauliflower
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» Sad News from Jimmy Cee
by ralitaco Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Grow Light Question
by camprn Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» New England January 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» My Shreveport Garden 2017
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:15 pm

» Forum Poll: Social Media
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:07 pm

» 2017 Burpee seeds are already on display at HD
by yolos Yesterday at 12:49 am

» EMT Clips
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 6:51 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 4:24 pm

» Baker Creek's Seed Bank Store in Petaluma, CA
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 4:18 pm

» Making Smoothies
by sanderson 1/21/2017, 12:45 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by AtlantaMarie 1/20/2017, 8:18 pm

» Food Dehydrators
by sanderson 1/20/2017, 1:21 pm

» Green Ice Leaf Lettuce
by MrBooker 1/20/2017, 4:46 am

» Gardening Australia
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2017, 10:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Harvesting Peanuts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Harvesting Peanuts

Post  miinva on 11/2/2010, 7:06 pm

Not knowing any better, I didn't harvest my peanuts until today and I'm wondering how to cure them now. I can't find much information online, and the little bit I find says that they should be pulled when they can cure outside for two weeks, but it also says that frost damages the plants? Does anyone have any advice?

miinva

Female Posts : 778
Join date : 2010-04-29
Age : 47
Location : Central Virginia, 7A as far as I can tell

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  Furbalsmom on 11/2/2010, 8:28 pm

HARVEST PEANUTS

PEANUT HARVEST

Two sites with peanut harvesting info. Both state harvest should be done before a HARD frost.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141
Join date : 2010-06-10
Age : 69
Location : Coastal Oregon, Zone 9a, Heat Zone 2 :(

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  miinva on 11/2/2010, 8:34 pm

I actually read both of those, but thank you for the links.

I think I'm going to hang them in the shed for a couple of weeks and hope for the best Smile

miinva

Female Posts : 778
Join date : 2010-04-29
Age : 47
Location : Central Virginia, 7A as far as I can tell

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  camprn on 11/2/2010, 8:34 pm

hmmm, homemade, home canned peanut butter.... interesting! Very Happy

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14042
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  WardinWake on 11/3/2010, 3:33 pm

@miinva wrote:Not knowing any better, I didn't harvest my peanuts until today and I'm wondering how to cure them now. I can't find much information online, and the little bit I find says that they should be pulled when they can cure outside for two weeks, but it also says that frost damages the plants? Does anyone have any advice?

Miinva: If you want to try an old southern favorite you can boil green peanuts. Green peanuts are peanuts that have not been dried and are best boiled when first pulled from the ground. Use a heavy hand when you salt the water and boil until they are "done". There may be better directions for boiling p-nuts on the web.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 66
Location : Wake, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  SFG in Chicago on 11/4/2010, 12:59 am

@WardinWake wrote:
@miinva wrote:Not knowing any better, I didn't harvest my peanuts until today and I'm wondering how to cure them now. I can't find much information online, and the little bit I find says that they should be pulled when they can cure outside for two weeks, but it also says that frost damages the plants? Does anyone have any advice?

Miinva: If you want to try an old southern favorite you can boil green peanuts. Green peanuts are peanuts that have not been dried and are best boiled when first pulled from the ground. Use a heavy hand when you salt the water and boil until they are "done". There may be better directions for boiling p-nuts on the web.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Oh yes, boiled peanuts! Yum. I suggest though that if you've never tried them that you make a small batch first. There is no in between with boiled peanuts, you'll either really love 'em or really hate 'em! And if you hate them, send them to me. Razz

Virginia

SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110
Join date : 2010-03-08
Location : Z5 Chicago Suburbs

View user profile http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Curing peanuts

Post  ander217 on 11/4/2010, 8:51 am

We raised peanuts when I was a kid. You don't have to cure them outside. We never did. I don't think most commercial growers do, either. (Around here they shell them within a few hours of digging, and dry them in large grain dryers.)

Just hang your plants upside-down in any warm, dry place for a couple of weeks. Sometimes my mom even pulled the peanuts off the roots before drying them. The experts don't recommend it, but it never seemed to hurt our crop.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450
Join date : 2010-03-16
Age : 61
Location : Southeastern Missouri (6b)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  miinva on 11/4/2010, 12:13 pm

Thank you for the feedback Smile I'm going to hang them in the shed for a couple of weeks, then take them off the plant and slow roast them in the oven. I'll post my results!

miinva

Female Posts : 778
Join date : 2010-04-29
Age : 47
Location : Central Virginia, 7A as far as I can tell

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  srh2174 on 11/4/2011, 5:23 pm

@miinva wrote:Thank you for the feedback Smile I'm going to hang them in the shed for a couple of weeks, then take them off the plant and slow roast them in the oven. I'll post my results!

What were the results?

srh2174

Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-11-04
Location : Dallas, Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Harvesting Peanuts

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:09 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum