Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

by sanderson Today at 2:30 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

$18 compost bin

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

$18 compost bin

Post  walshevak on 11/18/2010, 4:45 am

a few days ago there was a reference to an $18 garbage can compost bin inside a post. Now I can't find it. Can anybody help. Sounded like something I could handle.

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: $18 compost bin

Post  happyfrog on 11/18/2010, 5:29 am

i didn't see the post but to make a compost pile out of a garbage can is relatively simple.

just buy a trash can with a well fitting lid. then use a drill (like the drill bit you use to drill out doorkeyholes it's about3" round? i think? and drill a bunch of holes all over/around the trash can. then take window screen - the metal mesh kind is best - it holds up better than the plastic kind and duct tape and tape those holes with the window screen/duct tape on the inside of can (for aesthetic reasons).

then fill no more than 2/3 full with compost and roll around the yard. stand up between uses. i used a bungie cord on top of my trash can tha ti did that to to help keepthe lid on as the contents get real heavy.

hth.

bettyann

happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

View user profile

Back to top Go down

$18 compost bin

Post  walshevak on 11/18/2010, 6:19 am

Happyfrog, your idea is almost the same, but this person also gorilla glued spikes into the can. That was the part I didn't get. Was hoping he would see the post and explain why the spikes.

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog on 11/18/2010, 6:59 am

that's brilliant! would help break up chunks of stuff that way and help aeration. .

i think (if i had to guess) is to buy those plastic stakes and drill holes to be able to stuff them thru the can. .. then gorilla glue them from outside and reinforce with duct tape. yeah, cause i'm a redneck i suppose at heart. lol

about 6 of them spaced around the can's diameter and length would do it - maybe even as few as 4. . .

would love to see if i'm 'right' on how they did it. . .

bettyann

happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose on 11/18/2010, 9:37 am

@walshevak wrote:Happyfrog, your idea is almost the same, but this person also gorilla glued spikes into the can. That was the part I didn't get. Was hoping he would see the post and explain why the spikes.

I remember this post, but for the life of me I can't find it! Still looking....

Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 11/18/2010, 2:32 pm

I do remember the person said if had to do over would not glue but would use long bolts and nuts instead of spikes.

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose on 11/18/2010, 2:41 pm

I'm sorry, I could not find that post. Which is too bad, because it was interesting.

I did however google compost tumblers and found a slew of links to plans for a DIY compost tumbler. From what I have read in these links, the idea of having the spikes or some other rod inside the tumbler is to help separate the contents while the bin is tumbling. If there was nothing inside to do that, it would have a tendency to just slide along the inside of the bin in big clumps. Makes sense, I guess.

I know I couldn't find the post for you, but I hope I've helped with understanding the concept.

Blackrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 11/18/2010, 2:43 pm

Blackrose, understanding process and concepts make it possible to improvise .
Thanks for looking

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie on 11/18/2010, 3:53 pm

I think it was my post. Is there a way to access my old posts? I think it was the first one I wrote.

This is what I did: round trash can w/ lid & wheels from Walmart and 10 6" galvanized nails from Lowe's. I had some gorilla glue on hand. On opposite sides I drilled 3 holes about 9" apart and then on the other 2 sides I drilled 2 holes 12" apart (so that they are staggered and will better mix the compost). I uses gorilla glue to hold the nails in place. Once dry, I drilled air holes in the lid, bottom and sides and then secured the lid with bungee cords. I just lay it on it's side and roll it around a bit a few times a week and seems to be working just find. Looks like it's going to stay cold now, so I'll be rolling it into the garage for the winter and hope it will keep cooking me some good compost for the garden in spring.

However, I would make some changes: Use 6" screws instead of nails and hold them in place with bolts and washers (the glue didn't hold up long but the nails are still working just fine...just a bit flimsy), find a trashcan with a screw on lid since some of the compost does fall out when tumbling, make 2 compost bins (1 to add to and the other to let be till compost is finished). For now, I'm using a 5gal bucket w/ lid that I keep outside the door for scraps waiting to be composted.

There are some good videos on youtube and many DIY's if you do a search.

Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose on 11/18/2010, 5:46 pm

@Lemonie wrote:I think it was my post. Is there a way to access my old posts? I think it was the first one I wrote.

This is what I did: round trash can w/ lid & wheels from Walmart and 10 6" galvanized nails from Lowe's. I had some gorilla glue on hand. On opposite sides I drilled 3 holes about 9" apart and then on the other 2 sides I drilled 2 holes 12" apart (so that they are staggered and will better mix the compost). I uses gorilla glue to hold the nails in place. Once dry, I drilled air holes in the lid, bottom and sides and then secured the lid with bungee cords. I just lay it on it's side and roll it around a bit a few times a week and seems to be working just find. Looks like it's going to stay cold now, so I'll be rolling it into the garage for the winter and hope it will keep cooking me some good compost for the garden in spring.

However, I would make some changes: Use 6" screws instead of nails and hold them in place with bolts and washers (the glue didn't hold up long but the nails are still working just fine...just a bit flimsy), find a trashcan with a screw on lid since some of the compost does fall out when tumbling, make 2 compost bins (1 to add to and the other to let be till compost is finished). For now, I'm using a 5gal bucket w/ lid that I keep outside the door for scraps waiting to be composted.

There are some good videos on youtube and many DIY's if you do a search.

Thank you Lemonie!! I searched and searched for that post and of course I could not remember who had posted it.

Here is the original post: http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/budget-sfg-start-for-next-yr-1st-timer-t4420.htm#35146

Blackrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 11/18/2010, 6:49 pm

Thanks Lemonie. I bought a garbage can at Walmart this afternoon and bought 6 threaded rods at Lowes. I'll go back and get 4 more rods tomorrow and add to the ones already bought. Fortunately, my drill needed charging so I didn't get start on the holes today. And I bought the wrong garbage can, only one latch. I knew I needed to see that post. As a newbie to sfg and composting, I really appreciate all the help and encouragement I'm getting.

Kay Walsh

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 11/18/2010, 7:10 pm

@Lemonie wrote:I think it was my post. Is there a way to access my old posts? I think it was the first one I wrote.

Click on your name. This will bring up your profile. At the top there are tabs. Second from the left is "statistics". If you click on that it will (voila) bring up the statistics page. Under topics, you will find all the threads you started. Under posts, you will find everything you've ever posted. In your case: http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/search.forum?search_author=Lemonie&show_results=posts

Hope that helps!

And I love the compost barrel idea.... Very Happy Welcome walshevak and Lemonie! glad you\'re here

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 11/22/2010, 10:55 am

Hi everybody,

I finished my compost can yesterday and then raked some leaves. The can is already full and I have more leaves so I'm gonna build another one. I may even put one together for my son and give it to him for Christmas with a big red bow on top. Laughing He's interested in starting a sfg too.
I pulled up the spent flowers from some deck pots and dumped that into the can and all the veggie trimmings from a great pot of Philippine Sinigong soup. Also tore up a Cheerios box and some paper from the office. What else do I need to get this can cooking?
I don't really plan to use this batch of compost this spring because I am just starting out and will just buy the 1st load of ingredients for Mel's Mix. By spring I should have 8-12 4X4 tabletop boxes depending of whether i decide to double deck 1 or 2.

I didn't have any garden beds when I got back in late June from my 3 month trip to China but my daughter had 9 orphan tomato plants and 7 hot pepper plants. It was hot and dry and they needed something so I stuck them in my empty front flower bed. Was not expecting much from them. But lo and behold, most of them took hold and I am still picking tomatos and peppers. Aren't plants marvelous? Give them half a chance and they will try their best for you. What will I get when I have proper conditions?

Happy gardening

Kay

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 11/22/2010, 7:58 pm

Hi Kay,

Sounds like you have made a great start there! I am not an expert composter by any means, but in the past I have added a couple sacks of sterilized steer manure to help kick-start things. I am still not very clear on the whole brown/green thing. Growing up, it was throw stuff on the pile and it worked.

What will you get from 9 tomato plants and 7 pepper plants under ideal conditions? Assuming the tomatoes are interdeterminate... better put learning how to can on your to-do list, if you haven't learned it already! Very Happy

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/22/2010, 8:09 pm

@walshevak wrote: What else do I need to get this can cooking?
Kay
I use dried blood to get my compost cooking. The nitrogen heats things up. there are numerous threads on compost, if you have not found them yet, they are worth a read. Congratulations on your new compost can! Very Happy

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 11/28/2010, 9:20 pm

I spent Thanksgiving with my daughter and son-in-law in Loudon County, VA. They have heirloom chickens, guinea hens, 2 turkey hens and 2 ducks. When they cleaned out the chicken house, I collected 1/2 a trash bag of manure/wood shaving mixture to add to my new bins. This is so super fresh now but I hope by next summer it will be ok for my garden(s). I've got 3 bins now, 2 for me and one for my son. Will be traveling back home on Tue to stir up my new mix. Kids are saving up from the chickens to till into their garden next spring. I had not focused on the fact that I would have a source of uncontaminated manure from them. rock on

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hot manure

Post  ander217 on 11/29/2010, 4:29 am

I don't think so, LaFee. I always thought chicken manure was one of the hottest, followed by horse manure. Rabbit manure is a cold one.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 11/29/2010, 9:49 am

"...Never feed fresh chicken manure to young, tender plants! Fresh chicken manure is "hot," meaning it is very high in nitrogen and will "burn" the growing ..." from http://poultryone.com/articles/manure.html

I have always thought that to be the case. So I can't figure out why the chickens fertilizing my back yard lawn don't burn the grass. :?:

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 11/29/2010, 10:48 am

deleted my post so as to remove any chance for misleading anyone.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

final harvest from my orphans

Post  walshevak on 12/2/2010, 6:32 pm

Frost has killed my orphan tomato and pepper plants. Can I pull them up and toss in the compost bins? Here are pictures of the plants in Aug and the final harvest. Next year I'll do better.

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/2/2010, 6:56 pm

If they died from age and not late blight, I don't see why you can't chop them up and add the dead plants to your compost.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 12/2/2010, 9:42 pm

I don't know, but I am going to echo what I was told by more experienced gardeners earlier this year, which was, don't put tomato vines in your compost pile. I think it's just from fear that maybe there was blight sneaking around even if everything looked healthy.

And, by the way, that is a GREAT-looking final harvest!!! Very Happy

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/3/2010, 6:37 am

@Megan wrote:I don't know, but I am going to echo what I was told by more experienced gardeners earlier this year, which was, don't put tomato vines in your compost pile. I think it's just from fear that maybe there was blight sneaking around even if everything looked healthy.

And, by the way, that is a GREAT-looking final harvest!!! Very Happy
I put practically everything including all of my tomato vines that did not look suspicious into the compost pile. Late blight does not survive winter temps on foliage as the late blight on foliage will not survive the freeze of winter. You can run into problems if potatoes are infected and some of the infected tubers are left in the ground and do not freeze. Read about it here.

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 12/4/2010, 4:51 pm

Thanks camprn! Very Happy

Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/4/2010, 4:55 pm

SEE HERE for another inexpensive, build it yourself, roll-it-around-the-yard compost bin.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum