Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 21:04

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 21:01

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 21:00

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 20:59

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 20:41

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:41

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:37

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:03

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 17:46

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 17:33

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 17:17

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 17:02

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 16:59

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 16:29

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 16:14

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 16:12

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 16:08

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 14:59

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 14:39

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 14:14

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 13:13

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 17:23

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 13:22

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver Wed 30 Nov - 11:18

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee Wed 30 Nov - 8:46

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greetings from Orygun!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greetings from Orygun!

Post  Yamhillbilly on Sun 5 Dec - 13:25

Greetings fellow SFG's,

We recently relocated to a country home on a hillside. The previous owner and builder of the property had some lovely terraced garden beds built into the landscape. I'm looking forward to making the move from conventional row crop gardening to the square foot methodology. Spring can't get here fast enough!

Yamhillbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greetings from Orygun!

Post  Ha-v-v on Sun 5 Dec - 13:44

Welcome!! How exciting to have the beds already made up! A bit less work to get started ! Sounds good to me. Have fun and share share share Smile
Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on Sun 5 Dec - 14:31

So glad to have you here, Yamhillbilly. Willamette Valley is a lovely place to be. I am out on the
Coast, so we have not quite the same climate, you will get a little colder and quite a bit hotter during the year. Lucky you, you have a much better chance to harvest tomatoes and peppers than I do.

As you get your SFG set up, please share your successes (as well as things that do not go as well as you hoped) We want to know all the details. Pictures are great.

There are so many people willing to answer questions, if you have them. The search feature, located above the "latest topics", on the left side of the page can help you find all kinds of information.

Again, glad you\'re here to our forum.

Last edited by Furbalsmom on Sun 5 Dec - 14:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fumble fingers)

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog on Sun 5 Dec - 14:44

oh your garden sounds lovely!!!

welcome to SFG! It's truly addictive - so easy to do (once soil is properly amended).

can't wait to see your pics of your new locale and garden area!

happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamhillbilly on Sun 5 Dec - 15:46

@happyfrog wrote:oh your garden sounds lovely!!!

welcome to SFG! It's truly addictive - so easy to do (once soil is properly amended).

can't wait to see your pics of your new locale and garden area!

Nice to hear from a fellow Buckeye. I'm a transplant going on 6 years now. Having to learn gardening Pacific Northwest style which has been challenging and fun.

Yamhillbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog on Sun 5 Dec - 15:51

*grin* i must confess, i'm a transplant to ohio. . .

but i do wear buckeye gear and i've learned to make buckeyes (with sunbutter instead of peanut - d/t severe allergies in my household). . .

i actually have lived in several states and probably looking at a move to texas next. we haven't comp;letely decided yet. it's either texas or moving closer to columbus ohio. both have good deaf schools.

and that's another beautiful thing about sfg. . . you can move your garden with you! just bag it up and transport it. *big smile*

happyfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamhillbilly on Sun 5 Dec - 18:50

[quote="Furbalsmom"]So glad to have you here, Yamhillbilly. Willamette Valley is a lovely place to be. I am out on the
Coast, so we have not quite the same climate, you will get a little colder and quite a bit hotter during the year. Lucky you, you have a much better chance to harvest tomatoes and peppers than I do.

As you get your SFG set up, please share your successes (as well as things that do not go as well as you hoped) We want to know all the details. Pictures are great.

There are so many people willing to answer questions, if you have them. The search feature, located above the "latest topics", on the left side of the page can help you find all kinds of information.

Again, glad you\'re here to our forum.[/quote

Wow! You really do have some gardening challenges on the coast. I am still wrestling with a sure fire method of growing tomatoes here. I was spoiled from all my days in the Midwest.

Yamhillbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on Sun 5 Dec - 22:59

We moved to OR in 1998 from Omaha, so I know what you mean about getting spoiled in the Mid-West. Our garden there produced 7 ft tomato plants and it seemed like bushels of tomatoes from each plant. (Yeah, I know that was a Slight Exaggeration about a bushel per plant, but I always had more than I could use or was willing to can)

I had always been able to grow enough tomatoes, with just a few plants, so we had salads and sandwiches when we lived in the Willamette Valley .

Our first year on the coast, we grew just a couple of plants, but still had tomatoes for salads and sandwiches. This past summer was a bust. Long cool Spring, late rains and very cool Summer. Not a single pepper or eggplant matured. Harvested ONE tomato in August, THREE Tomatoes in September plus some cherry tomatoes and that was with 13 plants. Most tomatoes that did mature did not color up until October. I took my tomato plants out in the last half of October when it was cooling down and the plants looked really ugly. Picked mostly green tomatoes as we pulled up the vines. We used the last ripened ones in mid November.

This past year was good for sugar snap peas, lettuces and carrots.

Next Summer is going to be GREAT! cheers

Furbalsmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome

Post  ander217 on Tue 7 Dec - 9:21

A belated welcome to you, Yamhillbilly. Keep us posted as your SFG develops, and remember that we love photos.

glad you\'re here

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamhillbilly on Thu 9 Dec - 8:50

@Furbalsmom wrote:We moved to OR in 1998 from Omaha, so I know what you mean about getting spoiled in the Mid-West. Our garden there produced 7 ft tomato plants and it seemed like bushels of tomatoes from each plant. (Yeah, I know that was a Slight Exaggeration about a bushel per plant, but I always had more than I could use or was willing to can)

I had always been able to grow enough tomatoes, with just a few plants, so we had salads and sandwiches when we lived in the Willamette Valley .

Our first year on the coast, we grew just a couple of plants, but still had tomatoes for salads and sandwiches. This past summer was a bust. Long cool Spring, late rains and very cool Summer. Not a single pepper or eggplant matured. Harvested ONE tomato in August, THREE Tomatoes in September plus some cherry tomatoes and that was with 13 plants. Most tomatoes that did mature did not color up until October. I took my tomato plants out in the last half of October when it was cooling down and the plants looked really ugly. Picked mostly green tomatoes as we pulled up the vines. We used the last ripened ones in mid November.

This past year was good for sugar snap peas, lettuces and carrots.

Next Summer is going to be GREAT! cheers

I hate to say it but my best success with tomatoes thus far in the PNW has been in black plastic nursery pots. I use the 10 gallon size that the plants do not max out and get stunted from being pot bound. Last year was a challenge though just not the degree days for 'maters. Peas, beets beans and the cole crops were quite happy though.

Yamhillbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on Thu 9 Dec - 19:58

If you want to use the black buckets, try using Mel's Mix (you will read about that in the new book) in the buckets. Some of my tomatoes were in 5 gal buckets. The Mel's Mix is so fluffy, fertile and weed free, it is a joy to use. Read carefully the information on Mel's Mix, as you mix it by volumne measures. Peat Moss comes compacted in the bag, and you need to fluff it up first in order to measure correctly. You will also need five (5) types of compost, not 5 brands, so plan on looking for things like chicken manure, cow manure, mushroom compost, etc.

Furbalsmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog on Fri 10 Dec - 12:48

@Furbalsmom wrote:If you want to use the black buckets, ...

i have a suggestion on this. i get ALL my 5 gallon buckets for FREE! - just go to your local grocery store that has a bakery - walmart, meijers, krogers, wherever you shop. . and ask them for their FROSTING buckets. Several of my local grocery stores give them free to me. Walmart was selling them for $1 each for a long while, but then recently told me they only recycle them - don't sell or give them - but perhaps that's a local thing.

they're typically white, but it's easy to paint black or any other color or cover in contact paper.

i use them as hanging baskets as well as carrot planters. Smile they also come in handy for holding compost at the back door when ther'es a lot of snow on the ground and one doesn't want to walk all the way to compost pile.

hope that gives you some more ideas.

the true secret to successful gardening is mel's mix. no matter what you put it in, you will have amazing results. Smile

happyfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 21:20

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum