Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

by way of explanation for my absence......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

by way of explanation for my absence......

Post  Old Hippie on 1/27/2011, 1:48 am

First we had some major computor issues that took some time to solve and finally after trying to get them solved, my husband just ended up getting a newER one. Not brand new but a very good deal.

Anyway, after all that was settled my boss's mom, sister and B-I-L were in a very serious car accident in Ontario. It was very sad and my boss had to take a leave of absence to go take care of his mom and sister. That left four of us to run the paint store by ourselves. We were already short one person because our sales rep had quit a couple of months ago, but with promises from head office to get us a new one we thought we could ride out the slower winter months without any real problems. But life doesn't work that way. We managed to run the store without any major issues and even pulled off some pretty good sales too. However, we all had to work a lot more hours than we usually do. The extra money is always good, but I am totally beat now.

My winter garden is quite something to look at. I had snow almost up to my waist in the back yard and the piles of snow along the driveway were getting so high I could hardly throw the snow up on them anymore. Getting out to the compost bin was a bit of a struggle and the garden shed doors were half covered with snow. But a warm front and some rain the past two or three days has melted a lot of it. The top of my solar garden lamp is now visible again. It was totally buried. I am looking madly at seed catalogues and trying hard NOT to get too carried away. I hope to get my grow op started here in the next couple of weeks.

A super exciting score of 13 double sealed window panels, each one 2'x7', are stacked neatly at the end of the garage awaiting spring. I am so excited. We are going to build a greenhouse. I can't believe people throw stuff like that away. Getting them home was quite an adventure. What should have been about a one hour job turned into a five hour nightmare, but all is well that ends well and Bob has the plans drawn up on the computer to take to city hall for a building permit.

It is good to be back.

Gwynn

PS.......just am finishing up the last of the tomatoes from the garden last fall. I know all the green ones were not supposed to turn red, according to the books and the experts so I don't know what I did wrong. They still taste better than store bought ones.

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: by way of explanation for my absence......

Post  sfg4uKim on 1/27/2011, 8:14 am

WOW. Sounds like there was a LOT on your plate.

Welcome back.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1876

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 1/27/2011, 10:17 am

Glad things are looking up, Hippie. Boy, I would love to see some pictures of all that snow. I assume by your statements that this is a snowier than average winter for you? I know nothing of Ontario, but have learned not to assume all of Canada is buried in snow from the 5th of July until the next 3rd of July....lol.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 1/27/2011, 11:23 am

WB, Old Hippie, it's a good excuse to break out the ol' music machine, even though it's not quite your favorite song!

Here's to fresh, red tomatoes in the frozen tundra! cheers

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 1/27/2011, 12:23 pm

Happy you are back!

Working all those extra hours is hard, but glad you made it thru the tough times.

OldHippie wrote:A super exciting score of 13 double sealed window panels, each one 2'x7', are stacked neatly at the end of the garage awaiting spring. I am so excited. We are going to build a greenhouse. I can't believe people throw stuff like that away. Getting them home was quite an adventure. What should have been about a one hour job turned into a five hour nightmare, but all is well that ends well and Bob has the plans drawn up on the computer to take to city hall for a building permit.

Please keep us updated on your progress with the greenhouse.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 1/30/2011, 1:32 am

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Glad things are looking up, Hippie. Boy, I would love to see some pictures of all that snow. I assume by your statements that this is a snowier than average winter for you? I know nothing of Ontario, but have learned not to assume all of Canada is buried in snow from the 5th of July until the next 3rd of July....lol.

Bird Gardner, I am in British Columbia but it seems we have all had more than our usual share of snow this winter. So glad you learned that the Great White North is not 'white' all year 'round. I do live in a zone 3b gardening zone so sometimes it feels like it is 'white' almost all year though.

My husband did take some pictures of all the snow so if he has them downloaded I will post them.

Your name intrigues me. We are doing whatever we can to encourage birds and beneficial insects to come to our little yard. I am frustrated by the neighbourhood cats though and have to work out something to deal with that issue. The birds love the ornamental crabapples that we left on the tree for the winter as well as the berries on the mountain ash tree. Next year I will leave some sunflowers standing in the fall for them as well.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 1/30/2011, 1:33 am

@boffer wrote:WB, Old Hippie, it's a good excuse to break out the ol' music machine, even though it's not quite your favorite song!

Here's to fresh, red tomatoes in the frozen tundra! cheers

ROTFL, Boffer! That is awesome! Thank you!

GWynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 1/30/2011, 1:44 am

It's good to see you again! I'm so excited for you... a greenhouse! I hope you'll share pictures Smile I had a bunch of windows that we moved with us, but my angsty teenager decided to break them all Sad I'm hoping to find such treasure again!

miinva

Female Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 1/30/2011, 4:59 pm

@miinva wrote:It's good to see you again! I'm so excited for you... a greenhouse! I hope you'll share pictures Smile I had a bunch of windows that we moved with us, but my angsty teenager decided to break them all Sad I'm hoping to find such treasure again!

Thanks Miinva! I will try to remember to do the picture thingy when the snow is finally gone and we get to building.

I am so sorry you windows all got broken. Keeping my fingers crossed that you will find more again. I must say it was really tough getting them all home and maybe sometime I will post about that.....perhaps I will write a little history of my greenhouse. Hopefully, we will be able to get it built this summer. I so want to be able to use it in the fall.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum