Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by jimmy cee Today at 10:29 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Today at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:21 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RE: 1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Post  Goosegirl on 2/19/2011, 9:56 pm

It's amazing how some people are sensitive/in tune with the weather and its changes!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/20/2011, 8:08 am

Backyardgardener, you may want to see if he can also take a stick and find water. I read an article about people who can do that in my local electric co-op magazine, it was very interesting. People out in West Texas still use those methods to find water, which of late has been worth more than gold, as they have been in drought conditions for about 2 years, maybe more. I agree, it is amazing when you meet someone who is very sensitive/in tune with the weather.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/20/2011, 9:12 am

@FarmerValerie wrote:Backyardgardener, you may want to see if he can also take a stick and find water.
Do you mean dowsing?

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/20/2011, 9:21 am

@camprn wrote:
@FarmerValerie wrote:Backyardgardener, you may want to see if he can also take a stick and find water.
Do you mean dowsing?

Yes. Never could remember the term, and I have heard several applied so I just call it what it is, finding water with a stick. I guess it may be because to me dowsing is to close to dousing-like dousing some one with the water hose.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 2/20/2011, 11:47 am

I'll have to check that, but I may have to drive to west Texas to do so...LOL.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick on 2/21/2011, 11:27 am

Well, I can't believe I didn't notice the forums before. My SFG book is dod-eared and has dirt spots on it so it has been well used! I never thought I would be a gardner but when I got the book I realized it was just quilting with plants! That I can understand as I sew also.

I tried BT last year but with all the rain we got here last spring I was applying it pretty much every other day and still they were winning. I did just order some row covers as that is my next battle plan. Very Happy

My first year I started with one box. Now I have three and some "satellite" areas in the yard. (planted canteloupe on a trellis in the corner to cover the stupid cable box). I'll see if I can't find some pictures. I know my mom took some last year.

Glad to be part of the group!

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tessmick on 2/21/2011, 11:54 am

Well, hello to all anxious gardeners here!

Let me chime in ... it's now the 3rd week of Feb, and I've done absolutely nothing towards my garden plans! Shame on me ... had it all set to go, chomping at the bit this time last year. Must get to work! Embarassed

tessmick

Female Posts : 36

View user profile http://www.justafewwrinkles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 2/21/2011, 12:22 pm

Smartchick,
I see you're a half country away from me in Maine, but I wanted to welcome you.

I found this site last year and I've loved it ever since. Great ideas, great people, helpful as they can be. You'll like it here.

As another sewer, and quilter, I liken my gardening in the same light. I think of the squares as quilt pieces and I love the whole concept of square foot gardening. In the winter when snow covers my garden, I quilt. I established two separate blogs for the loves in my life, which also helps keep me busy. It all keeps me out of trouble and loving to wake up every morning now that I'm retired.

Welcome,

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pictures from Last Year

Post  Smartchick on 2/22/2011, 11:42 am

Good morning all! I did find a few pics of my garden last year.

The first one is my main three boxes. Those are potatoes in the plastic totes (last year's potato experiment). The second one is my Box #1 with Peas, Broccoli, Spinach, Lettuce and I can't remember what else. I had zucchini in the "auxiliary" space nearby and tomatoes. My zucchini died last year before making any viable produce. Who would have though zucchini could die! Everyone I know is usually paying people to take it. Smile

I used landscape timbers cause that's what I had available. My uncle made the first two for me and I did the last one. I use lathe for gridwork and last year we started doing our own compost. This year the plan is to get a truckload (or two) of mulch to put around the boxes to keep the freaky crawling vine at bay if possible (not sure what it was but it multiplies like bunnies.) I'm lucky in that the people who owned our house before us put chicken wire around the entire perimer of the backyard and buried it under the sod for 12" or so. I had no rabbits at all in the yard last year (after I patched a few holes they had made) so I didn't have to share. They also must have brought in soil in that area as it is definitely better than normal Omaha soil so I can plant a few "large" plants outside my boxes.

That's what I have. I pretty much have my plans for this year done (until I change my mind when I'm planting). I should be able to get onions, peas, spinach and collards in the ground by mid March. Woo hoo! Let the planting begin!

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 2/22/2011, 2:01 pm

I just love seeing other people's layouts. Yours looks great.

I used landscape timbers last year at my old house, and wish I had done the same this year. White pine just rots so darned fast I will have to replace mine in no time. However, my replacement plan is to replace one side at a time with landscaping bricks because I think those look best...besides being permanent. But, once I do that, I will likely need to anchor my hoops with rebar on the outside of the boxes.......(see everything has a purpose and thoughts/inspirations take care of themselves in time.)

Could that vine been Henbit, or Creeping Charlie? You can curb that with a little Roundup or a fall application of pre-emergent. (I will never be a holisitc person....I value ease of effort way too much, especially when it comes to pests/weeds.)

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick on 2/22/2011, 2:58 pm

Well, it wasn't either of those (although I did apparently have a few henbit plants now that I looked that up!). After doing a bit of Googling it appears I had "leafy spurge" and "purslane". Apparently the purslane is edible and considered a "good plant" but it was a pain in my garden last year!

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin on 2/24/2011, 1:59 am

Working on my garden on Plangarden.com Last year was my first year gardening. I spent hour laying out the garden and reading books and learning how to use plangarden. But all the recorded keeping, garden logs, and layout have been nicely kept for me. Transferring my 2010 garden information to my new 2011 garden when really easy. I feel like I'm cheating. Very Happy

P.S. The 24 foot of snow is almost all gone. I can now see my garden boxes again.

Dietryin

Female Posts : 134

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/24/2011, 7:50 am

I use the plangarden too, I like that I can lay out what I want to plant and if I find that it's not compatible with something in the box, I can move things, and then when I get what I want I go out and plant.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 3/4/2011, 12:25 pm

Anybody doing anything now that it is March? I moved my mels mix from one half of the garden to the other, so I could get under it and put down weed barrier (didn't do that when I set up the bed, only used cardboard, big mistake). I was planning on starting my peas, and realized I had grass growing in my bed.

lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

View user profile http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom on 3/4/2011, 2:17 pm

Hi my sorta of neighbor, : I'm in Trenton/middletown area. What suppliers to you use for MM components? I mean, do you use someone outside of Lowe's/Home Depot?

madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick on 3/4/2011, 2:24 pm

Doesn't Jungle Jim's sell stuff for Mel's Mix? I thought they sold everything? Very Happy I used to travel to Cincy for my job regularly. I miss Jungle Jims...oh and Graeters Ice Cream. Too bad that won't grow in a SFG???

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 3/4/2011, 2:35 pm

@FarmerValerie wrote:I use the plangarden too, I like that I can lay out what I want to plant and if I find that it's not compatible with something in the box, I can move things, and then when I get what I want I go out and plant.

you guys are way more organized than me. i just grab a new square, make sure the same thing isnt next to it, and drop something in. its kind of random, but i kind of like it that way.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom on 3/4/2011, 3:42 pm

@Smartchick wrote:Doesn't Jungle Jim's sell stuff for Mel's Mix? I thought they sold everything? Very Happy I used to travel to Cincy for my job regularly. I miss Jungle Jims...oh and Graeters Ice Cream. Too bad that won't grow in a SFG???

born and raised in Hamilton and I've been in his store 3, count them 3 times. (I'm 41 now) lol! I think he is too expensive. He does sell everything. I need to go get some vanilla beans and Rum and start my vanilla extract.

madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 3/4/2011, 4:52 pm

Right there in Middletown, Berns has everything, I would just call first b/c they sometimes have short supply. Never thought to try Jungle Jim's, but I've only been there a couple times myself. They are building a whole new complex in Eastgate though, so I will have to check that out. It's definitely an experience. And no, Graeter's doesn't grow in SFG, but they do ship now.

lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

View user profile http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 3/4/2011, 10:19 pm

@madnicmom wrote:I need to go get some vanilla beans and Rum and start my vanilla extract.

I've never made my vanilla extract with rum - I have always used vodka. I think the rum sounds yummy!

TC

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum