Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 6:53 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 5:28 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Today at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

sour update:

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sour update:

Post  WardinWake on 2/7/2011, 7:44 pm

Howdy Folks:

Well, it has been 6 days sense we first turned the sour compost bed and found the bad smells. Yesterday morning we got out early after the all day Saturday rain and turned the bed again. All was smelling good like good compost should until we were about halfway down into the 5 foot tall pile and oops...caught the smell again. It was only one bad spot though and the rest of the compost pile was wonderful. What a difference a week made. I suppose the first turning allowed enough oxygen to get into the pile to turn it sweet. In any case the pile now smells like it should.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: sour update:

Post  martha on 2/7/2011, 9:39 pm

so I should be brave and check mine when the snow melts, yes?

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 2/7/2011, 11:24 pm

How often do you turn it? I know Mel says....as often as you can. Monthly? More often?

I am actually thinking of making two bins....one full and one empty. When a kid misbehaves, they get to go turn compost. Seriously, that would straighten me out pretty quickly.

I have yet to find a negative reason. They get exercise. The compost/garden benefits. They actually complete a chore.

It just seems like when some of us were kids and were told to go chop firewood, or whatever, when we misbehaved. It's not like it's abusive....although no doubt today's society would think so.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 2/8/2011, 2:14 am

The more often you turn it the better. It heats up and gets working. Seems like turning the compost would be a good chore for your kids. Dang! wish mine were still home!

I have two compost bins. One that we are throwing stuff on and the other one that we are turning and letting "work". Actually, I think I need a third.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub on 2/8/2011, 9:36 am

BYBG:
We like to call it the Attitude Adjustment Pile! When the 12 year old needs reminding who's in charge, he has to go out and move it from one spot to the other.
We just have the one pile so it has to get moved from one side of the compost area to the other.

Aub

Female Posts : 283

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 2/8/2011, 9:50 am

Happy to hear about the sweet smell of success (mostly).

I don't like the idea of compost turning as punishment. I hate the thought that anything about gardening is punishment. It's just a job and it must be done. I encouraged my boys to find the work "manly" and a good source of fishing bait and biceps.

These days I have two smallish tumbling bins and one bio-bin. I have discovered that I can turn the bins too often. I have turned them about every 3 days but discovered that does not give them enough time to get hot enough. Once a week is often enough in summer, once a month in winter seems to work for me.

Deborah….counting down the days to Lincolns birthday!

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 2/8/2011, 4:14 pm

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:How often do you turn it? I know Mel says....as often as you can. Monthly? More often?

I am actually thinking of making two bins....one full and one empty. When a kid misbehaves, they get to go turn compost. Seriously, that would straighten me out pretty quickly.

I have yet to find a negative reason. They get exercise. The compost/garden benefits. They actually complete a chore.

It just seems like when some of us were kids and were told to go chop firewood, or whatever, when we misbehaved. It's not like it's abusive....although no doubt today's society would think so.

Howdy: We have 4 bins, 4' wide X 5 feet deep and 5 feet tall. We keep one empty to turn the others into in rotation. Also I picked up a shipping crate at work today that will make a dandy compost bin. This one will go to a dear friend for her backyard.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips on 2/8/2011, 9:21 pm

Ward and Mary, glad you fixed the compost smell. Nothing better than a pile of good earthy compost. yum yum.

I'm with Deb when it comes to gardening and punishment, but to each, their own.

CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 778

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 2/9/2011, 1:01 pm

I worry about the negative association with it, too. However, there is so much more positive they find with gardening that it won't be a big deal imo. Plus, they are a bit young still. This is more an idea for awnry teens that won't likely want to do anything with mom or dad in that phase anyway.

I can remember hating cutting grass. It was punishment in my house. However, now, I love it....and do it for a living.

People's interests are their interests. They change back and forth sometimes. I think back to the time periods I respect more....like the Depression Era and Little House on the Prairie times. People just did what they had to do, and if dad didn't want to, he had a kid go do it....end of story. It put hair on chests, too, and most importantly taught our kids that you can't always choose what you want to do over work.......something we don't teach our kids anymore as a country in my opinion. And, we are soft because of it. I respect members of those eras because they did whatever they had to to put food on the table. If it meant a 16 hour work day 6 days a week, that's just what it meant. Try getting a 35 year old man to do that w/o gritching and moaning about being mistreated anymore. /rant

And, sometimes after you grow up, you get interested in something you hated as a kid.....like broccoli.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum