Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 5:13 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 3:16 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Toy Box (the return)

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just a few days away

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/25/2011, 2:31 pm

The Peas have shot up to the top rung of the trellis.

The tomatoes in the tent are touching the top of the tent. As you can see, it cooled off overnight and I'm not sure that I want to remove the tent yet but I think I need to.

Suddenly there are Fava Beans everywhere.

Deborah....Maybe I should just go away more often.
Strawberries are pinking up! Drippy wet morning. There is a promise of sunshine in the late afternoon but at only 61 degrees for a high I am not too excited.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Made a little bowl of cole-slaw

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/25/2011, 11:35 pm

They look kewl in the garden but it was time to do something with at least one of these cabbages.

Yep.... looks like the inside of a cabbage.

It looks just as plain as can be. It should have had an apple in it but I did not have one. Hello Creamy Lavender-Cilantro Slaw. The dressing started life as a dressing for crab cakes but it makes an amazing slaw.

Deborah...talking with her mouth full

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Re: The Toy Box (the return)

Post  FamilyGardening on 6/26/2011, 3:09 am

oh wow

they sure are pretty! Very Happy

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 6/26/2011, 8:08 am

Your cabbage is beautiful! I planted a few and they're forming heads, but I wasn't as militant about slug control as I should have been so I fear they'll be full of slugs, but we'll see.

I'd love to know the recipe for Creamy Lavender-Cilantro Dressing.

miinva

Female Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 6/26/2011, 9:15 am

@miinva wrote:
I'd love to know the recipe for Creamy Lavender-Cilantro Dressing.

+1 DITTO Please, please, please!

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/26/2011, 10:28 am

Thanks ladies. That was encouraging! I'm a little off of my game. I grabbed a decalf K-cup for my first cuppa jo. Just brewed up a cup of the real thing. I'll post the recipe on Music of the Rain after I am fully caffeinated.

@miinva; While this box has not been too plagued with slugs like my other boxes, there were still a couple of them under the biggest leaves and maybe three more in the outer leaves. (the nuggets thanked me for them) But the tight inner leaves were slug free. Hope you find the same to be true of yours.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 6/27/2011, 8:17 am

I'll watch for the recipe, it sounds interesting! I read your blog post about the term 'farmer' and loved it, as well as the original blog post you linked. Smile

miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/27/2011, 11:11 am

Before I forget, I did post the dressing directions at.... Lavender Cilantro Cole Slaw The weather was too nice to be sitting in front of the computer yesterday.

Thank you so much for your interest and Miinva, that was an over the top kind thing to say about my post.

Here it is, June 27 and it finally feels like I might be safe taking the tent off of the tomatoes. The truth is that some of the vines were starting to touch the plastic above them. I do not want to take a chance that they will get mildew or some other yucky tomato malady from that contact. I plan to leave the tent ribs for my Pearl Cucumber to grow on.

I know, I know, it is just a green tomato, but before I took the tent down I did not think there were ANY tomatoes in the tent. This is on the Black Plum Paste vine.

I found an extra tomato cage where it did not belong. I snagged it to keep the fava beans from shading out the rest of Box 4. Now I need to get behind the fence to saw down the Scotch Broom that grows so aggressively. The favas are bigger every time I look at them. I have never had a fava before and can hardly wait to taste them.

Deborah....too chilly for short sleeves, to humid to put on a sweater
We have some serious cloud cover in Everett. Everyone around is is reporting rain, but there is an optimistic report that we are in the doughnut hole. It should get all the way to 70 this afternoon. Everything feels sticky from humidity.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 6/27/2011, 11:22 am

Thank you for posting the recipe, I bookmarked it! I hope to give it a try when we harvest our cabbage (if the slugs haven't taken up residence).

Your garden is beautiful! I had plans to improve and expand but they didn't happen this year. I was sad at first, but once I saw that my pole bean bed had reseeded itself I felt a bit better, and yesterday we were outside Florida Weaving our tomatoes. Smile

miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi on 6/27/2011, 11:33 am

Which one of the fava beans is it that's going so bananas? I have Broad Windsor scheduled for a fall planting here. Never heard of your other kind!

Mamachibi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/27/2011, 4:44 pm

@Mamachibi; first---HI, ---I have both of them planted in squares next to each other. Looking at the pic the square on the right is Windsor. I've never done Fava before, got any tips? If I can find the room I will put in fava seed to over winter. Thanks for asking.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 6/29/2011, 12:18 am

deb.....everything looks so good!

im wondering what a fava bean is.... Very Happy do eat the whole pod or just the bean inside?....do you eat it as a dry bean?

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi on 6/29/2011, 8:49 am

No help for you, this fall will be my first time growing Fava beans, and then just one square to prepare for a heavy feeder in spring!

Mamachibi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/29/2011, 9:47 am

@mamachibi; so we are learning together! What made you decide to plant a square? I am a nice mix of Norwegian and Swedish with Black Foot highlights, these are not part of my culture. I've never even tasted them before. Looks like I have a couple that are about ready. I'll take pics as I go.

@rose; I only know slightly more than you do. After some of the tragedies that have happened in the last couple of years and the stress forecast on our national food supply I wanted to try to grow more protein. Fava beans as well as garbanzo and shelly (dry) beans all have a place in my garden this year. I need more boxes! I have never eaten a Fava before but my understanding is that it is prepared like a fresh soy bean. It is removed from the pod, set into boiling water, quickly cooled and popped out of the outer seed skin. I am told that they are very popular in Mediterranean dishes that we would use Garbanzo beans in. I'll let you know.

Debs...who really needs to learn to spell "Mediterranean" so I don't need to pull a cook book just to post.

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi on 6/30/2011, 10:11 am

Two reasons really. First their nitrogen-fixing properties, as an experiment. I'll be growing a leaf in that square and the one next to it in the following season and I wanted to test them. Also, in the search for things my family will eat that I can garden (I have a family of 8 meat eaters here) I tried a fava bean dish they loved.

Mamachibi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/30/2011, 10:29 am

That is awesome mamachibi. I hope it doesn't sound silly of me, but I love to test and experiment (and cook). I used to tell people that I am a stay-at-home mom. Being a stay-at-home gardener is just one step up on the "Oh, how interesting," scale. Not many give a lot of respect to me for my choices but it keeps my mind active.

Blessed by you...Debs

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi on 6/30/2011, 11:07 am

Oh gosh. I've done the "business" thing, and I've done the "stay at home" thing. I find the "stay at home" thing MUCH more brain-expanding!!

Or, in other words, like I say to my kids all the time, "I've done that and I've done this. I CHOOSE this."

You could always say your are a home-based nurturer! That includes kids, plants, husbands, budgets, pets...

Mamachibi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 6/30/2011, 11:37 am

@Mamachibi wrote:Oh gosh. I've done the "business" thing, and I've done the "stay at home" thing. I find the "stay at home" thing MUCH more brain-expanding!! ....snip.... I CHOOSE this."

Bravo MamaC! I have another job during the school year. It pays for my gardening obsession but I seldom mention it in a social setting because I live in a culture that values the job over the person. People like to talk about themselves and it is easy to ask questions that cause them to forget that I am in the room once they get going. This is probably not the setting for such thoughts but I believe we have lost our sense of community in our pursuit of things. The amount of money we are able to "dispose of" is the measure of our worth. It has led to mega marts of colorful and seasonable stuff for us to spend (or dispose of) our money upon.

I wonder about the days of the Strawberry Festivals that welcomed spring with local, ripe red fruit that did not have to be trucked in from San Diego. The Strawberry Festival of my childhood was about the strawberries and welcoming of summer. There is still a parade, even bed races but the booths are all about face-painting, venders whose product has nothing to do with strawberries, food that was shipped in from southern states, and candy that is no longer a treat. It was, in short, about community far more than commerce. I do not remember beer gardens, but there were shortcakes.

Not all change is bad, most of it is good, but I find the stress of having a good enough position to give my life worth instead of just living a life of valor to be a bit disturbing.

Debs.....loving being part of a community, even if it is online (some new things are the best things)

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi on 6/30/2011, 11:43 am

I hear ya, Debs. We're kind of counter-culture here too. 6 kids, one income. Believe me, I'm getting all the creative outlet I could ever use making THAT happen!

My social event of the week is our farmers market. Actually, that's where my grocery shopping and menu planning begins. Seeing people who really care about how food is grown, who can answer questions like, "What kind of strawberry is that and would it grow in MY garden?" and who are so willing to share their wisdom with me makes my day! Going to the megamart after that is like stepping onto a foreign soil.

Mamachibi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 7/2/2011, 3:41 pm

I feel the same way about our farmer's market! I love buying local food, and yesterday I met a really nice lady and her husband when I went to purchase some italian plums and red haven peaches from her. Smile We had a wonderful visit and they were really nice to my 10-year-old son. Very Happy I found her through a local publication called Eat Local, Eat Fresh, published by the Piedmont Environmental Council.

I think gardening is so wonderful, even if I'm the laziest gardener I know *giggle*

I also agree about community. Being a transplant, I really, really, REALLY miss feeling like I'm part of something meaningful and like I fit in.

miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 7/2/2011, 6:07 pm

wow....how did you all know how i have been feeling Very Happy

......im so thankful to have found this forum... Very Happy

hugs
rose.....mother of 6 who really wants to taste a fava bean

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/13/2011, 9:52 am

Finally harvested some fava beans and Rose I cannot imagin prepping them for a family of 6 (or is it actually 8 counting mom and dad?) Very simple to do, you could put the children to work to prep them but it takes forever. I made mine into a soup (picture and link to the recipe on Music of the Rain... link in the sig line)

Like everything else my green beans are about a month behind what we had last year. These are a purple podded bush bean.

I did get a handful of potatoes out of a tub. I was not sure they would be even close to ready, the tops were so lush. But I easily found six of them for my soup.

I haven't taken a picture yet, but I saw a red Oregon Cherry Tomato last night. Yeah!

Deborah....loving the lazy lushness that is July.

AAARRRRG! new picture program isn't letting me reduce the size of my pics!

Cold and cloudy, looks like it has been raining and more on the way. 65/52

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden on 7/13/2011, 9:55 am

Yum! I'm SO jealous of those beans. Mine are not even finger sized yet but there are some so I'm hoping that come the end of the month I'll be able to use them in my favourite recipe!

Icemaiden

View user profile http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/20/2011, 7:13 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Debs....the sun just came out and the temp shot up to 70!
Blah until Saturday (except the sun just came out!!) It was overcast and gloomy but now the sky is blue and there are shadows on the ground. 68/54 (right now it is over 70).

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

What to do with Fava beans?

Post  Lavender Debs on 7/23/2011, 5:23 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:15 pm

Sponsored content