Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 12:12 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to do if you plan to move in the near future?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What to do if you plan to move in the near future?

Post  JACC0811 on 2/27/2011, 2:31 pm

I'm going to do some SFG this year, but we plan to either move or build a new house in the next year or 2 if we can. (5 adults and 2 kids under 5 in a 3 bed house is a lil' cramped lol)

I was wondering if anyone was or is in the same situation, as far as moving. I'd hate to leave the gardens behind, but I'd also hate to have to figure out what to do with everything if we move it all. I would imagine that anyone that bought our house would have some interest in gardening since we are on 5 acres of pasture and in an agriculture area.

But, if I were to move the boxes, any ideas? Maybe build them with the plywood bottom and on a set of large wheels.

JACC0811

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What to do if you plan to move in the near future?

Post  Weedless_ on 2/27/2011, 3:00 pm

We are moving this summer, and I have same problem as you do.
So in my planting, I have to pick and choose, in what stays and what goes.
I think I am going to plant all my peppers and some tomato in large pots instead of garden, then rest are just cold crops. I plan to remove the trellices and take them with me, and plant flowers after I am done with veggies in summer, to avoid removal of the boxes.
Once we move, I'll have to start over in the new spot. [pale]
But then again, I only have 3 boxes, so it's not too bad.
Not sure if it will work for you. But I agree, it's a real problem, especially if you put a lot of work in establishing your garden. Good luck. I am going to keep an eye on this post as well...

Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

View user profile http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 2/27/2011, 6:28 pm

We're in a rental and will move sometime within the next few years. The more boxes I build, the more I want to stick it out as long as possible, lol. Our year to year lease ends during the summer, but far enough into it that I'll probably be sick of the garden anyway (the hottest part of the summer is our dead time here, no break from gardening in the winter), so I'll just rip it all out, bag up the Mel's Mix and unscrew the boxes...or at least that's the plan right now. The backyard was a mess when we got here, so I'm not too worried about that.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC on 2/27/2011, 8:21 pm

I've been working on this for a couple years. We were only supposed to be here for one summer. Now we're heading into our third. I've resisted building more squares, but now this year I just bought a circular saw, so the square building is ON! I've kindof given up on ever escaping from this town. figuring putting down roots figuratively and literally is just the thing to make Murphy's Law decide to move me out!

Considering the cost of the Mel's Mix, I've read about people buying big trashcans with tight lids to transport your MM in to the new house. at the next house the garbage cans can become compost bins and other useful things.

The boxes I made were just regular 2x6's screwed together. I plan to pick them up and carry them as they are quite light when empty.

If we finally get a chance to relocate and the garden is under too much snow then I don't know what we'll do.

PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

View user profile http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 2/28/2011, 7:55 pm

From what I've read, people relocate their Mel's Mix when/if they can, just like you've said. Boxes are comparatively cheap... and depending on your re-sell needs, an alternative to unscrewing the boxes is to empty them, paint (if not painted already), re-fill with county compost and plant inexpensive flowers/kitchen herbs for some quick-sell "Curb Appeal".

Best of luck! Very Happy

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips on 2/28/2011, 10:25 pm

I feel your pain---on moving in the future or in the process of. Been there done that many times.
The best you can do---as others have----is just build your boxes and fill them up. When it is time to move--- shovel soil into heavy duty trash bags, trash cans, or 5 gallon buckets and move it too. OR container gardening and when its time to move you just move the pots full of soil with you. I have done that before. I once moved 240 5gal plastic grow bags full of soil mix. Seriously ---I did. The 5 gallons were Plastic and last a few years. You can buy them in bulk at Hydro-Gardens.com . They have lots of home gardening stuff too. I grew tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and squash in the 5 gallon grow bags----and still do sometimes. The tomato vines estimated 12 feet long. The grow bags estimate $.25 cents each. I think you have to order in bulk of 250 or 500 at a time and will last you a life time and make great gardening gifts or even sell the left overs on ebay.....etc........you could check on the bulk order cause I have never ordered in small quantities.

good luck

CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 778

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K on 3/10/2011, 5:18 pm

I recently moved and took my garden with me. Here are a few things I learned:

1) Let the Mel's Mix dry before moving. I would give it at least a week to dry. I had an old painter's tarp (canvas, however, plastic would work also and is cheaper) I used to spread it out to dry. This will save considerable weight.
2) Buy 55 gallon barrels or drums off of Craigslist. These are the big blue bins. I've seen them for $5-$15 each depending on grade (non-food and food grade). I didn't get these but wish I had purchased a few to haul the mix.

Luckily I moved only 3 miles away and was able to haul it all in an SUV, however, it took several trips and I only moved a 4X4 and a 3X3. If I had put it in drums I could have put it on the moving truck and I would have only needed 2 of them.

Good luck.

AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/10/2011, 6:33 pm

Good tips, Thanks AZDYJ2K

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 3/10/2011, 8:00 pm

I guess I'm lazy. We moved this past summer, and I had just built my first SFG that spring. While it hurt to let that work go, it's really a "time value of money" thing imo. Granted, I had only the one 4x8 and 2 4x4's....so not a lot compared to some of you guys.

I let go of the $300ish and started anew this year with another $300ish. The effort of building them is enough for me to avoid trying to move the dirt on top of everything else I had to move.....and I only moved a mile down the road.

Granted, I am not some wealthy guy, so the only thing I can think of is that I am much lazier than any of you. Kudos to you guys for considering moving the stuff and the mess it would create.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 on 3/10/2011, 8:44 pm

I have a couple takes on this for either way.

I'm planning on moving a couple of years. I now work an hour from home and would like to move closer to work, but I'm under water. So if I can get the mortgage paid down and the house value back up then I'll be able to move. As part of that I've focused on giving my SFGs an aesthetic appeal. I have different sizes in different patterns that should look nice and help the house sell fast when I get there. Compared to my other fixer upper projects this one is cheap. (The house is one big fixer upper project.)

A couple of days ago I decided to move a 2x4 box a few feet (part of that aesthetic thing.) When I had built the box last year I used some leftover window screen fabric on the bottom. (It was a cheap replacement for weed fabric.) It wasn't too hard to shovel out the soil and put it in my wheelbarrow. In the end it filled the wheelbarrow (overflowing). It was wet, so I'm sure drying it out would have helped. So I know from experience that it can be done. Still though, I'm not planning on it.

Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 3/11/2011, 8:17 am

I tend to add my time when factoring in big projects, also the strain on my back. I would hate to leave any MM behind (if I had any that is), but moving it could put me out of commission for months, and getting help is like pulling teeth some times, I have a teen & a tween at home. Also as someone who moved every other year growing up, and then 7 times since getting married 25 years ago, I have picked up a thing or two about home buying, and gardening is in, the raised beds in the back just may very well be the selling point for some, I know I would overlook several things inside to have a SFG set up and ready to grow. Pick up an extra copy of Mel's new book and include it in the house. Ask the realtor to show the book when showing the garden area.

Kabaju42, best wishes on fixing and selling your home, and finding a new one. When my parents were younger they bought a house that was over 100 years old, fixed it up and got a good return-at least that's what I was told. It can be fun, and it can easily turn into Tom Hank's Money Pit.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec on 3/11/2011, 9:40 am

We moved a year ago and I moved my gardens too. We did it the same way several of you have mentioned. I even moved my compost pile. It was a lot of work but I wasn't about to leave all that "black gold" behind - it's not easy to come by. It took more than one trip but we moved close by so it was okay.

Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 on 3/12/2011, 9:48 am

@FarmerValerie wrote:Kabaju42, best wishes on fixing and selling your home, and finding a new one. When my parents were younger they bought a house that was over 100 years old, fixed it up and got a good return-at least that's what I was told. It can be fun, and it can easily turn into Tom Hank's Money Pit.

Thanks for the best wishes. The house isn't quite 100 yet, I think it was built in '44 or around there. I'm told my experiences don't quite meet Money Pit status, but I haven't watched the movie. I didn't hear about it until after I bought the house, and I don't quite dare watch it yet. Might hit a little too close to home.

Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 3/12/2011, 9:52 am

I grew up in a house built in the mid-1700's. Talk about a money pit, heating alone! Shocked Good luck on selling yours. Correct staging and landscaping will help.

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 3/12/2011, 10:08 am

Oh, heating.............. This house my parents bought (this was in 1976) still had working radiators for heat, and the room that was where the breaker box was was huge, looked like it could have been a boiler room. We found a hidden stair case too!

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago on 3/17/2011, 11:37 am

We are renting also and we hate our house and our landlord, so we are buying a house this summer. Our lease is up in September. I only have 1 4x8 box and I'm planning to do mostly early season stuff. I can't decide if I should do my few tomatoes in the box like I did last year or if I should do them in pots and try to move them. If I do them in pots I have to figure out how to secure them to the ground, it is at times very windy here.

My box is a kit & easy to disassemble. I'm planning to take my MM with me. I'll throw some grass seed on the patch of grass I've killed where the box is. (I didn't exactly get permission for the garden, the $#@& landlord wouldn't return my calls or emails when I tried to ask him, so I just did it.)

SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

View user profile http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/17/2011, 1:38 pm

If you are fairly confident you are moving in September, you might want to put those tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. The weight of the moist Mel's Mix was enough to keep them upright and the buckets are not narrow at the bottom so they are pretty stable. I live in a very windy area and never had one fall over. I did secure the tomatoes to stakes so they wouldn't get damaged during the heavy winds.

This year I will prepare some trellises to secure my tomatoes, but it would be harder to move the tomatoes if they were trellised.

Furbalsmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago on 3/17/2011, 11:32 pm

I was thinking of 5 gallon buckets with tomato cages, but I still think they will blow over. There are 3 houses and then 3 empty lots on my street with not a single tree or hedge or anything else to act as a windbreak. It's like a wind tunnel back there sometimes!

SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

View user profile http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/18/2011, 2:39 am

I live just off a lake with nothing between me and the lake except open land and a parking lot. We get high winds a lot (no tornados) and as I said no upturned buckets. Of course you could put 3 stakes or pieces of rebar around the 5 gal buckets and then they would not move at all.

Furbalsmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:41 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum