Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by sanderson Today at 3:47 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yardwaste compost containing poisonous plants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yardwaste compost containing poisonous plants

Post  Lindacol on 2/27/2011, 10:00 pm

I raise goats and know that oleander (a common landscape shrub here in southern California) is deadly to most livestock. One leaf can kill a goat or any other livestock. So I don't have it on my place, nor do any of my close neighbors. I have open fields to the north for well over a 1000 ft where the winds usually come from that have no oleander, and we couldn't find any in the feed yet years ago I lost a goat to oleander poisoning. Every year we hear of animals dieing because someone trimmed their bushes and gave it to their or their neighbors animals.

So I am paranoid about it. I wonder about bringing in compost made from yardwaste that comes from county/municipal sources. I would not bring it in. But I will use my own yardwaste. And I have plenty of waste hay and manure for the compost pile.

I also would like to hear of others experiences with feeding garden plants and extra produce to livestock. I plan to do this with mine in moderation, as a supplement to their regular hay. I know the goats can have squash, pumpkins, carrots (the whole plant), comfrey, kale and lettuces. What plants should I avoid giving them? I think I have heard tomato and potato.

Lindacol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yardwaste compost containing poisonous plants

Post  camprn on 2/27/2011, 10:12 pm

What animals, besides the goats, are you looking to feed?
As far as a list for the goats, I found this list.
I know that goats like to gnaw on anything and everything but can you keep them out of the compost/garden?
I do not know the toxicity of various plants after decomposition and frankly I'm not sure how to begin looking. But this is an excellent question.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cat's Other Mother on 2/27/2011, 11:00 pm

It isn't as toxic as oleander, but I've been reluctant to compost with trimmings from my back yard due to poison ivy. The stuff is a plague; all the vines are still dormant but I still managed to get a rash between my glove and sleeve while clearing brush back there.

The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 142

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol on 2/27/2011, 11:14 pm

Thanks, I've seen that site before but wasn't looking for poisonous plants at that time.

The goats are penned and the garden is fenced but sometimes(rarely) the goats do get out. I don't think they can get into the compost but we do get very strong Santa Ana winds here and everything blows around. I'm wondering if the Mel's mix will blow away.

The goats are very well fed show/dairy goats. They like to taste everything but actually will refuse food if it gets manure on it. They are browsers and love to eat the bark off your trees, eat entire rose bushes and I have even seen them eat cactus.

@camprn wrote:What animals, besides the goats, are you looking to feed?
I know that goats like to gnaw on anything and everything but can you keep them out of the compost/garden?
I do not know the toxicity of various plants after decomposition and frankly I'm not sure how to begin looking. But this is an excellent question.

Lindacol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol on 2/27/2011, 11:38 pm

I am only looking to feed goats.

I did a search for composting poisonous plants and found a lot of conflicting info.

This is from my county ag extension:

http://cesanbernardino.ucdavis.edu/Master_Gardener/Using_Grass_Clippings_and_Yard_Trimmings_.htm

@camprn wrote:What animals, besides the goats, are you looking to feed?

Lindacol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol on 2/27/2011, 11:42 pm

Goats will eat poison ivy and oak and clear your brush:) I have heard that drinking milk from a goat that consumes poison ivy/oak will help reduce your reaction to it.

@The Cat's Other Mother wrote:It isn't as toxic as oleander, but I've been reluctant to compost with trimmings from my back yard due to poison ivy. The stuff is a plague; all the vines are still dormant but I still managed to get a rash between my glove and sleeve while clearing brush back there.

Lindacol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 2/28/2011, 8:16 am

We have a spot in our yard that gets poison ivy quite frequently, the neighbors rarely get to that spot in their yard so it travels. There is also a pasture on 2 sides of our yard that it comes from, so 3 sides of our yard need to be patrolled and sprayed. It usually falls to me to do this, and I'm allergic to it, but I also have a son who is highly allergic to it. I don't care what professionals say it does spread internally, I've seen it do it. My dad carries an eppy pen for bee stings and poison ivy, and he used to get a shot for poison ivy when he was cleaning and clearing his yard. I would love to get more info on drinking goats milk from goats who eat poison ivy, I'll have to look that up, but I would still be leery as my dad cannot eat raw honey or he could die. I'll have to look that up. Oh, and yes you can get poison ivy from smoke from burning poison ivy, my brother and my oldest son have gotten it that way, on the inside of their mouth and nose by being exposed to it, there was none externally and they did no cutting, stacking, lighting or touching the wood, just showed up for the fire.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 2/28/2011, 11:16 am

I reckon that if you're allergic to it, or if it's harmful to your pets, it's easier to either put it in the trash or send it for your municipal recycling program.

You can't touch it and your pets can't eat it if it's not there.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum