Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Newbie composting questions
by trolleydriver Today at 1:10 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:35 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 12:19 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:59 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by landarch Today at 11:49 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:39 am

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 10:45 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Today at 10:36 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by newbeone Today at 8:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by plantoid Today at 7:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» In between
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

All about wilds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All about wilds

Post  windrider1967 on 3/12/2011, 2:00 pm

Seems like there may be quite a few of us out there who, in addition to cultivated gardens, also harvest and use wild edibles and medicinals as well. I think that the two go very well hand in hand and that the "gardener" is more apt to see a plant as useful than just as a weed. Figured we could use a place to discuss/show off our favorite wild harvests. Pics appreciated and REMEMBER - if you are not 100% positive what a plant is do not eat or use without verification.

See discussion on http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t2749-weed-or-surprise-good-thing-plant-id-please#47593 for the thread that spawned this one. Some good info already entered.

My first offering would be the "curb appeal nightmare" - dandelion. Most ppl don't realize that dandelion isn't native to North America and was brought by early colonists as a food source. Leaves are great in a salad, and dandelion jelly is super smooth and good. And then there is always dandelion wine!!! Just make sure that you harvest in virgin areas - no insecticides or herbacides, and at least 100 ft back from heavily traveled roads.

windrider1967

Female Posts : 87

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: All about wilds

Post  windrider1967 on 3/13/2011, 9:28 am

K guess it is just me LOL - ah well as MIL is a certified herbalogist/herbalist I will throw up another of the family favorite edibles. Today's topic girls and boys is ....... GREEN BRIER

A nifty little vining plant that is native to most of zone 7 and south, green brier is a great add in to salads or just as a snack. It is vitamin packed and best when the leaves are young and tender. Most easily identified by heart shaped leaves that are a very light green, with a waxy gloss to them,it has a tart crisp taste.

As always - be sure what you are picking. Any questions shoot a pic here and someone may be able to help verify.

windrider1967

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/13/2011, 10:14 am

I am watching this thread! Very Happy

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 3/13/2011, 11:23 am

I'm into this too, I was just worried that if it was not about SFG it might be cut off.

Dandelions: Have you actually made wine from these? I was thinking about making a batch this year. I've never even heard of jelly but now you have me going! Got a link to your recipe?

They are so high in iron. I like to get spring leaves (before they flower seems best) to chop and add to hot rice with chives. They go down easy that way. Spring is also a good time to harvest and tincture the root. It is nourishing to the liver and digestive system. A few drops (10 to 20) in a small glass of water is almost as good as beano, good for digestion, healing to the liver and some say it helps in the battle against kidney stones. The flowers are supposed to help normalize hypertension (something I have written in my herbal but had forgotten about.) My notes also say that it gives plant hormones to ease a woman into the change. I had forgotten about that part too. Some of this information must have come from Susan Weed. I was reading her when I was in my 40’s

Deborah….who is into gathering nettles when it is dry enough out.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  windrider1967 on 3/13/2011, 1:03 pm

@Lavender Debs wrote:I'm into this too, I was just worried that if it was not about SFG it might be cut off.

Dandelions: Have you actually made wine from these? I was thinking about making a batch this year. I've never even heard of jelly but now you have me going! Got a link to your recipe?

I figured it's no more off topic than some of the discussions that we get into. Hence the "out of the box" forum area.

Dandelion Jelly - from MILs "Cooking Wild Foods the American Indian Way" cookbook

2 cups packed Dandelion Blossoms
5 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin
5 1/2 cups sugar

Bring Water and dandelion blossoms to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes or until water is a golden yellow. Strain blossoms out. In clean pot bring dandelion liquid, pectin and lemon juice to a full boil. Add sugar all at once and return to a boil, continue to cook for a minute or two more. Fill canning jars while hot and seal.

I am glad you are enjoying. I figured that taking advantage of the bounty that creator has given us - without boxes - is a nice way to add some variety.

Don't forget to harvest your honeysuckle and dry!!!

windrider1967

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/13/2011, 1:10 pm

@windrider1967 wrote:

I figured it's no more off topic than some of the discussions that we get into. Hence the "out of the box" forum area.
That is correct!!! As soon as the snow melts i have a plant I need to photograph and get an ID on... in the mean time, I am still watching this thread!!! Wink

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 on 3/13/2011, 1:11 pm

I've known for a while that some find dandelion useful, but I was surprised yesterday to find dandelion greens at the supermarket yesterday. And if you really want to try them you can even buy dandelion seeds: http://mountainvalleyseedco.com/store/products/Dandelion-%252d-Dandelion.html

just don't let the plant to to seed, your neighbors would not be appreciative Evil or Very Mad

Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

wilds

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 3/13/2011, 11:43 pm

An addition to Windrider's dandelion flower jelly recipe: be sure you use only the petals of the flowers, the base of the flower will impart a bitterness you don't want in the jelly. Same goes for making dandelion wine, use only the flower petals. And that's why you don't see more dandelion wine...it takes a huge batch of flowers, and an even bigger batch of time to laborously remove petals from all the flowers.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 3/13/2011, 11:53 pm

Just to back up Camprn...this thread is fine and "Dandy".

It's about growing and harvesting a plant...no worries!

Out of the box is for things not all SFG...Smile

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/14/2011, 1:00 pm

And if seed if being sold, it could be planted in the sfg. Sounds like we are wasting a spring green and I just went out to the yard to see what kind of "crop" I've got. Wink

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4302

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  windrider1967 on 3/14/2011, 1:11 pm

Thanks for the support and interest in this thread. My family and I do alot of educating on both native culture and survival situations. Preparedness means not only stocking but also being able to make use of what is in your native environment.

Today's lesson: FIRST AID

So what do you do for a bee sting, minor burn etc ... Go out to your (non treated) lawn and pick some plantain.

Most folks think this is another noxious weed like dandelion, but we call it nature's first aid kit. It works best when chewed into a pulp and then applied to a bee sting etc ... If you can't go for the taste or texture you can use a mortar and pestle or similar method. People laugh at me when I pop a few leaves in my mouth and spread it on a scrape or sting, but it works great.

windrider1967

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Broad Leaf Plantain-Rx for Poison Oak

Post  bettyd_z7_va on 3/14/2011, 9:14 pm

Windrider 1967,

My sister taught me to crush the leaves of broad leaf plantain and rub it on my poison oak rash for instant relief from the burning and itching. It also helps the rash to heal much faster. The sooner you use it, the quicker it will heal. For a bad case I would use it at least 4 times a day.

I didn't know you could just pop it in your mouth and chew it up! Always used the M&P or chopped it with a knife until it released the juice from the leaves and stems.

Betty

bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  windrider1967 on 3/14/2011, 10:41 pm

I can tell you it tastes bitter and very stringy but there is something in the enzimes in the saliva that really brings out the healing properties. My fondest memory of plantain was at a Pow Wow in WV when one of the dancers got stung in the circle. Everyone else is freaking out, I ran over to the open grass outside the circle, popped a couple of leaves in and plastered it on the sting. A bunch of Indians trying to figure out what the crazy white girl was doing. LOL

windrider1967

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 3/14/2011, 10:49 pm

Too funny! LOL Laughing

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down