Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

different compost's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

different compost's

Post  Errol on 3/14/2011, 6:02 pm

what do most of you use for the 5 different types of compost in your MM ??
and where to purchase the 5 ? I have resource's for cow/horse manure (well composted/aged) I know that would may be one. thanks
Errol

Errol

Male Posts : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: different compost's

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/14/2011, 6:54 pm

Cow and horse manure would be two types. Glad yours is already well composted, not raw.
Mushroom compost
Composted Chicken Manure
Worm Castings

Composted Forestry Products, just make sure they are fully composted so they won't steal nitrogen from your garden.
Organic Humus will ususally contain vegetative materials and maybe some manure

Check the ingredients on some of the private label "Garden Composts" many have peat moss as an ingredient, but hopefully, the ingredients will be listed in order of percentage of the final product. Just remember you don't want too much peat in your MM.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/14/2011, 7:02 pm

one of my favorites is Lobster Compost but my guess is that it's not available in your area. Shocked

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sheslostit on 3/14/2011, 7:06 pm

My compost was similar to furbalsmom...mushroom, steer manure, chicken manure, worm casting and then i had a compost that is made by the waste from Whole Foods (so it is a ton of different fruit/veggies etc). It was too expensive to be by itself otherwise i might have. It had several different sources. I got all my stuff from our local chain nursery in ATL called Pikes. Nice garden shop.

sheslostit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 3/14/2011, 7:10 pm

I consider horse and cow to be two types.
chicken manure
mushroom compost
leaves
grass
vegie kitchen scraps
I don't worry about ratios of greens and browns.

horse and cow manure comes from neighbors
mushroom compost comes from a gravel and soil supplier
the rest is my own

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 3/14/2011, 7:11 pm

@camprn wrote:one of my favorites is Lobster Compost but my guess is that it's not available in your area. Shocked

Would you just send me the live lobsters? I'll shell them Laughing

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/14/2011, 7:56 pm

@Furbalsmom wrote:
@camprn wrote:one of my favorites is Lobster Compost but my guess is that it's not available in your area. Shocked

Would you just send me the live lobsters? I'll shell them Laughing
Oh, don'tcha just love those lobstahs?

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 3/14/2011, 10:45 pm

We got shrimp compost that was really rich, but it had peat moss in it so we used a little less peat moss to compensate.

miinva

Female Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeP on 3/18/2011, 11:25 am

New SFGer this year. I was able to find the following for my compost at a local nursery:

• "Garden Manure": a mix of at least cow and hen manure, and possibly more (he didn't know offhand).
  • "Organic Compost": shrimp and seaweed blended compost.
  • Penobscot Blend: salmon, mussels, and blueberries (with peat moss).
  • Quoddy Blend: crab, lobster, and aspen bark.
  • Worm castings (smallish 15 lb bags, so I can't really count it towards the 4 cu. ft. I need of each).
  • Chickity-Doo-Doo: granular chicken manure. A 40lb bag but prohibitively expensive that I will probably stick to just the one bag.
I will probably go to Home Depot or Wallmart for some humus, though what I saw at HD had peat in it as well. Walmart may also have the mushroom compost, but the guy at the nursery felt that mushroom compost doesn't really help all that much compared to the other stuff (he was VERY familiar with SFG).

MikeP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/18/2011, 12:37 pm

@MikeP wrote:
[*]Quoddy Blend: crab, lobster, and aspen bark.

[/list]I will probably go to Home Depot or Wallmart for some humus, though what I saw at HD had peat in it as well. Walmart may also have the mushroom compost, but the guy at the nursery felt that mushroom compost doesn't really help all that much compared to the other stuff (he was VERY familiar with SFG).
Here is my $0.02...
I have found the Quoddy blends to be superior compost blends!!!!

Humus, nah, fah getaboutit!. Just go with the composts you have found and the peat and vermiculite. In case you are not familiar with it, the compacted bale of peat expands greatly.

glad you\'re here to the Forum!!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 3/18/2011, 12:43 pm

Hey, if people are passing out free shrimp and lobster, I need to pay more attention to this thread.....and give out my address. I promise to throw what I don't eat in the compost pile if that helps.

To OP, I would strongly encourage starting a compost pile of your own in your yard. Add kitchen scraps, some leaves, some grass, basically anything but meat bits. Turn it quite often (it doesn't have to be a huge pile), and serve. Most of us have difficulty in finding 5 different kinds without going on a major scavenger hunt. And, having your own compost after awhile definitely balances out what you lack in store bought materials.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Errol on 3/18/2011, 7:37 pm

it seems there is an endless supply of different types of compost if we just look. I had a fellow helping me put a new roof on my shed yesterday and he was looking at my SFG, and I told him about looking for different types of compost. well he said, come over to my house I have all the decompose "RABBIT" compost you want! then my neighbor 3 houses down said his friend was delivering a trailer load of horse manure that was already decomposed and I could get 1/2 of it!! wow!! talk about luck! thats not all....I went to Mcmminville tn about 20 miles from me to get some vermiculite and the owner ask me was SFG? yep am, he said well you dont have to mix it, for I have a mix that is for sfg's and it had all the things that was needed. 3 cf for only $10.00 !!! is that good or not? Very Happy

Errol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot on 3/19/2011, 10:41 am

@Errol wrote:it seems there is an endless supply of different types of compost if we just look. I had a fellow helping me put a new roof on my shed yesterday and he was looking at my SFG, and I told him about looking for different types of compost. well he said, come over to my house I have all the decompose "RABBIT" compost you want! then my neighbor 3 houses down said his friend was delivering a trailer load of horse manure that was already decomposed and I could get 1/2 of it!! wow!! talk about luck! thats not all....I went to Mcmminville tn about 20 miles from me to get some vermiculite and the owner ask me was SFG? yep am, he said well you dont have to mix it, for I have a mix that is for sfg's and it had all the things that was needed. 3 cf for only $10.00 !!! is that good or not? Very Happy

Talk about luck! As far as I can tell I am the only gardener in my hood' on the scale that I have, which is, I have a garden. And $10 for 3 cubic feet? Well, considering I have two beds that are 12" deep, and they are 3x3, and it only would have cost me $70 to fill them (I always buy a little extra), umm, yeah, that's pretty good, and even better that you don't have to mix anything.

kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

View user profile http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  outdoor_mom on 4/4/2011, 1:50 pm

@Errol wrote:it seems there is an endless supply of different types of compost if we just look. I had a fellow helping me put a new roof on my shed yesterday and he was looking at my SFG, and I told him about looking for different types of compost. well he said, come over to my house I have all the decompose "RABBIT" compost you want! then my neighbor 3 houses down said his friend was delivering a trailer load of horse manure that was already decomposed and I could get 1/2 of it!! wow!! talk about luck! thats not all....I went to Mcmminville tn about 20 miles from me to get some vermiculite and the owner ask me was SFG? yep am, he said well you dont have to mix it, for I have a mix that is for sfg's and it had all the things that was needed. 3 cf for only $10.00 !!! is that good or not? Very Happy
Errol, can you tell me where in McMinnville you get this?? I am right here in Murfreesboro and would love to know more about it! Thanks!

outdoor_mom

Female Posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Errol on 4/4/2011, 5:16 pm

hi outdoor-mom, the place in McMinnville is called "Mortons" and they sell greenhouses and just about any type of garden things. they are located on Smithville hwy., just across from the Honda place. they are only about 1 block from Lowes on the same side of rd going toward smithville. I have now made 4 new boxes using the mix. they mix their own just for the SFG. even has worm casings! its called mortons mix#2
good luck
Errol Very Happy

Errol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landmouse on 4/5/2011, 10:10 am

Thanks for telling us about Mortons! Hubby and I recently bought our first house (after 7 years and 4 kiddos!) and are excited about growing our own food. We'll probably kill everything this year, but we'll know what not to do next year!

landmouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Errol on 4/5/2011, 4:24 pm

landmouse, you are very welcome! I have just started sfg this yr and found this forum. I am learning a lot from all the nice people here. and you are my neighbor! my wife and I go to tullahoma often to vist Lowes! Smile

Errol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum