Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:03 pm

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:45 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The story of a girl and her box

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The story of a girl and her box

Post  cienfuegos on 4/17/2011, 1:20 am

My God! This Box! affraid

cienfuegos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/17/2011, 10:51 am

Thanks everyone.

Buttaflie, I am so happy to finally count myself among the "gardeners", instead of just "researcher", "wood-worker", "shopper and returner" or "fruitless obsessor". Smile

jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 on 4/17/2011, 11:29 am

Now THAT is what SFG is all about!! I feel like I'm "tuning" in to my favorite soap checking back on this thread. Great job Jazzy....your passion is really shining through.

Have you thought about (i'm sure you have and perhaps I missed it on one of your posts) connecting a trellis to those PVC pipes for your summer plantings. With night temps steadily in the 50's here now and daily highs creeping to 80.....you can hit the ground running now for all those yummy summer plantings.

I have plenty of basil seeds I saved from last year that I can share as a reward for your efforts Very Happy PM me if your interested !!!

staf74

Male Posts : 554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/17/2011, 12:26 pm

Jazzy maddy, wonderful story!! I love it.

About the critter you found in your manure/compost. Do you know what it is? I have found those in my garden at times too. I squish them all but I am actually not sure what they are. They don't seem like good critters to me.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/17/2011, 9:52 pm

@Old Hippie wrote:Jazzy maddy, wonderful story!! I love it.

About the critter you found in your manure/compost. Do you know what it is? I have found those in my garden at times too. I squish them all but I am actually not sure what they are. They don't seem like good critters to me.

Gwynn

Thanks! And I think we decided that they're wireworms, and they feed on the roots of plants. So I picked through that stuff with a fine-toothed comb (i.e. my gloved fingers) and unceremoniously drowned every last one of the nasties that I could find.

@staf74 wrote:Have you thought about (i'm sure you have and perhaps I missed it on one of your posts) connecting a trellis to those PVC pipes for your summer plantings. With night temps steadily in the 50's here now and daily highs creeping to 80.....you can hit the ground running now for all those yummy summer plantings.

I have plenty of basil seeds I saved from last year that I can share as a reward for your efforts Very Happy PM me if your interested !!!

I had thought about using them for trellises, but am not quite sure how to do it as north is the opposite direction (the long side of the box). I have considered placing additional "homes" for a couple of pipes along that side, and put in some 7ish foot pipes, between which I will attach either a net or plastic lattice panel. That's the plan for now, but if someone comes by with some other brilliant plan, I'll listen.

Oh, and thanks for the basil offer, but I got more than I even know what to do with from the Seeds of Change free offer thingy. Thanks again though!

And I DID hit the ground running (ish), with a planting of carrots, corn, broccoli seedlings, zucchini, maters and strawberry seedlings. I'm planning on planting another square of carrots next week, and get my cukes and watermelons started. So yeah, I do have to get something decided on the trellis soon here, huh?

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/26/2011, 10:14 pm

Chapter 6 Babies, Babies, Everywhere!

Well, the beginning of this chapter sees Mrs. H overrun by the Little H's, because spring has sprung, and school is breaking. Fortunately, they enjoy playing out in the water, so some work ends up getting done, including Little H's #1's corn squares, and Little H #2's carrots, and Itty Bitty H's first sunburn...

Upon hearing that corn does better in really warm weather, the Mrs. covers the corn squares with an expensive new roof - the best Hefty can provide.

After a couple of days, she gives them a peak, and is delighted - nay, giddy - to meet some new members of the family. The toddlers are doing well, and showing the babies how it's done.

Another little baby decides to come and join the family, unannounced, but definitely welcome. (Anyone recognize this baby? It showed up between our cucumber and squash squares. And I gotta admit, seeing those poo balls that big is a bit disconcerting. At least they don't smell as icky as they look.)

Thing 1, or Little H #1, or The Most Thoughtful Child on the Planet, creates this sweet little card for Mrs. H for Earth Day, nearly eliciting tears from the proud mama.

Pictures being worth what they are, we will leave the happy family at that.

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 on 4/26/2011, 11:21 pm

Sooo sweet. I love the Earth Day card!

kjenkins82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/26/2011, 11:39 pm

Thanks. It's definitely a keeper. Oh, and I forgot to point out that she made a smiley face out of the strawberry seeds. She pointed them out to me. So cute.

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/28/2011, 10:27 am

Anyone else have spider mites and ants in their MM? Just noticed them yesterday. Suggestions?

And does anyone recognize my volunteer (see post above)?

Thanks.

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/28/2011, 11:22 am

Too small to recognize but were you playing with basil seeds. It almost looks like some of my just sprouting basil.

Do you have a later picture?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/28/2011, 11:40 am

No basil here. Here's a later picture.

It's the one in the left upper corner of my cucumber square.

Thanks!

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spider Mites, etc.

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/28/2011, 11:41 am

The mystery sprout looks somewhat like an infant cucumber, or something from that family. Is it possible one of your cuke seeds made a getaway while you were planting them?

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 on 4/28/2011, 11:49 am

I don't think either ants or mites will do any real damage to your plants. Its really more a sign that you have a good healthy organic living medium in your MM going on. An abundance of natures dwellers may take up residence wanting a piece of Mel's mix also. I do get ant nests building up in the corners of my boxes frequently but i simply turn it over with my hands quickly (or a stick if that "bugs" you out) and soon enough the ants get the message that their hard work keeps getting disturbed and they move on eventually. No chemicals needed.

Love the rabbit poop BTW !!!!

staf74

Male Posts : 554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 4/28/2011, 12:10 pm

@staf74 wrote:I don't think ...ants ...will do any real damage to your plants. Its really more a sign that you have a good healthy organic living medium in your MM going on. ...snip... I do get ant nests building up in the corners of my boxes frequently .... No chemicals needed.

Ants do not directly harm gardens but they do "farm" aphids. Usually where there are ants there are aphids (that isn't what you mean by mites is it?)

My ants do not like cinnamon. I've heard that southern ants step right over it. Bit if I sprinkle a line around the box they go elsewhere.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/28/2011, 3:29 pm

I don't think they're aphids. They're smaller, and I've seen tan, white, red and orange ones. I also posted about this in the pests forum.

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 4/28/2011, 3:33 pm

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote:The mystery sprout looks somewhat like an infant cucumber, or something from that family. Is it possible one of your cuke seeds made a getaway while you were planting them?

I didn't consider cukes because this guy came up before my cukes did, and I didn't know what they looked like. Smile It does have a more round shape than oval though, so that's why I'm still wondering.

Thanks for your help!

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

mystery seedling

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/28/2011, 6:04 pm

Jazzy, can't wait to see another picture as your mystery developes. When its true leaves come out, I'll bet you recognize it: weed, or food, or both!

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/6/2011, 11:29 pm

More discoveries are made in this latest chapter of our story. Monsieur le Box surprises Mrs. H with a little bit of a feminine side. Here comes the box, Here comes the box...

But then a more burly side shows itself in the form of a somewhat clunky trellis. But if Little H's ever decide to get into soccer, they're set...

And Mrs. H discovers that all these sides - even though they don't give the ultimate pretty picture she dreamt of, but because they make things good for her babies - make her love it even more. (A wonderful metaphor for those moms out there who feel they're not as pretty as they used to be, but their husbands somehow love them even more now.)

She discovers that she is not a one-box girl. Enter hastily thrown together corner "box" for transplants that didn't quite fit the other box. This box, which is really just two scrap 2x4s butted up into the corner, opens to the H's the possibility of expansion earlier than they had anticipated. Mr. H even throws around the idea of filling the rest of the beds around the back of the house with more boxes, making it part of the landscaping. They may need to ask landscaping design help (anyone good at that?).

Perhaps the most suprising and delightful discovery is that Mrs. H's thumbs are starting to green up a little. Her garden babies are growing up, and she's so proud. She discovers that she remembers well the smell of tomato plants from her childhood, and it is more a part of her than she realized.

She discovers that creative writing, though fun, is not always possible. Brain. Shutting. Down.

And, on an unrelated note, she re-(re-re-re-RE)discovers how lucky she is to be married to the most wonderful man in the universe. Thanks Honey. Happy early Mother's Day everyone.

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 5/7/2011, 11:29 am

Maddy, is that a little tomato forming in the third picture? The little broccoli head looks good too.

Mr Hero is a wonderful man to treat his Mrs Hero to such lovely flowers.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/7/2011, 8:04 pm

Almost, yes, and yes! There are clusters of flowers on both tomato plants - no maters yet. Good broccoli - yay! And wonderful man - double yay.

I actually just got in from outside, where I finished planting all the rest of my available squares. Black Spanish radishes (? we shall see), French Breakfast radishes, stringless bush green beans, more cucumbers (Early Russian), Sugar Baby watermelon, and Small Sugar pumpkin.

Plus, my daughter had an unmarked baggie of flower seeds from her church teacher, to teach about planting the seed of faith. So we sprinkled those on the remaining 3 squares, and will show forth an increase in faith, and wait to see what will surprise us.

Can't wait to see them all grow, and start eating me some good grub.

Tracy

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jandasdad on 5/21/2011, 10:30 am

Your box is gorgeous, and this is a wonderful story to read. Please keep posting!

Jandasdad

Male Posts : 6

View user profile http://Giggil.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/22/2011, 8:30 am

Thank you Jandasdad!

@jazzymaddy wrote:...my daughter had an unmarked baggie of flower seeds from her church teacher, to teach about planting the seed of faith. So we sprinkled those on the remaining 3 squares, and will show forth an increase in faith, and wait to see what will surprise us.

So apparently my faith is waning at the moment - or we got a baggie of lame seeds. I'd love to apply some faith-booster to be able to continue my Leah's lesson. Any thoughts?

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 5/22/2011, 11:44 am

Maddy, when you sprinkled the flower seeds, did you also sprinkle a little MM over the seeds and water them :?:

It has only been two weeks and some flower seeds I tried to start inside took about two weeks to appear.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/22/2011, 7:32 pm

Holy cow, has it really only been two weeks?! If time flies when you're having fun, what the heck have I been doing that makes it feel like it's been months?! Actually, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that, but it's too long and sordid a tale.

So I will be patient, which is something my faith tries to teach me many times, so this works into the lesson quite well. Smile

(Incidentally, I didn't end up with extra MM, so I just ran my fingers through it a bit, and watered pretty well. I've actually been trying not to water too much because I have some fungus gnats. So maybe the little seeds aren't getting quite enough water. Hmmm.)

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 6/3/2011, 11:10 am

So Chapter, where are we? 7? sees growth (the tulle had to be moved off the corn as it was getting ready to bust out),

new friends, (behind my yard, there's a patch of weeds covered in lady bugs. I went around happily gathering these friends in a sippy cup, and then took a break to research and make sure I was doing the right thing...

when I came back 20 minutes later, the cup was bursting with these little guys. I'm guessing I captured some sort of egg sack on the verge of bursting into life. I did some more research to figure out if these were just sweet baby ladybugs, and they definitely were not. So, a little more research, and distraction later, nature took care of the problem, they all died, and I was able to put the nice little buggies in my garden)

more friends,

and even more new friends (of the slower-moving but better-tasting sort),

harvests (I just couldn't wait any longer - so yummy!),

some unsuccessful harvest,

more growth and waiting... (I thought I'd have more than one by now. My traditional gardening neighbor has several. Jealous much?),

re-growth (this is the poor mater that I "scalped" by accident a couple of weeks ago. After a good rain, it suddenly had about 4 new growing points going. I left 2 of them, and here we go again),

disease (help?),

and downright gluttony (reason number one why I will be planting WAY more broccoli next season - she threw a fit until I gave her the WHOLE thing).

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum