Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 9:42 am

» Butterfly Junction
by trolleydriver Today at 8:01 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by MrBooker Today at 7:27 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The story of a girl and her box

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The story of a girl and her box

Post  sherryeo on 6/3/2011, 12:04 pm

OOooohhh! Your little redhaired sunflower (daisy?) is absolutely precious! Don't act too happy about her eating the broccoli, she'll catch on and decide it's healthy and she probably shouldn't like it!!!

What is that cooked with the zucchini? Looks delish, do you have a recipe you could share? I have 5 zucchinis waiting to be cooked and will shortly have more!

My radishes looked just like that. I finally pulled them up and composted them. I think it just got too hot too quickly for them here. I might try them again in the fall.

I love your thread and always read the updates! Very Happy

sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The story of a girl and her box

Post  jazzymaddy on 6/3/2011, 12:28 pm

@sherryeo wrote:OOooohhh! Your little redhaired sunflower (daisy?) is absolutely precious! Don't act too happy about her eating the broccoli, she'll catch on and decide it's healthy and she probably shouldn't like it!!!

Thanks. She's such a fun little doll. And she actually will eat broccoli prepared in any way, and has since the first day we gave it to her. I don't know where she came from. I do hope that she never catches on! I remember my mom getting us to like it as kids by melting cheese on it, and calling it cheese trees. "Please Mr. Giant, don't eat my cheese trees!!!" [chomp!] Good times...

@sherryeo wrote:What is that cooked with the zucchini? Looks delish, do you have a recipe you could share? I have 5 zucchinis waiting to be cooked and will shortly have more!

Gosh, the zucchini was just sauteed in olive oil with the lazy cook's version of onions and garlic - dried, minced, comes in a bottle from McCormick. It was super tasty. My 5 year old didn't like it cooked, but actually loved it raw. Who'd'a thunk?

@sherryeo wrote:My radishes looked just like that. I finally pulled them up and composted them. I think it just got too hot too quickly for them here. I might try them again in the fall.

I guess I didn't realize they were a cool weather crop. I thought they were ones you could plant every 2 weeks through the summer and have a continuing harvest. Maybe I'll find a nice shady spot somewhere next time.

@sherryeo wrote:I love your thread and always read the updates! Very Happy

Thanks a lot! My brain wasn't tuned in to "creative" this time, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Smile

jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 6/3/2011, 6:53 pm

Okay, I looked back, and I guess we are on chapter 8. You'll forgive me?

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

update with questions

Post  jazzymaddy on 6/17/2011, 11:31 pm

I'm having so much fun! My brain sometimes feels like it's going to pop with all the information it has ingested in the last 3-4 months, and I know I've only just scratched the surface. I'm so proud of my little garden. Here's how it's doing as of today.

Now, let's get down to the nitty-gritty. My beans have been struggling for such a long time, and I am not convinced that it's just water burn. It's cropping up more and more, and though I'm not perfect at it, I've been doing my best to avoid getting water on the leaves. Any other thoughts? You can't really see from the picture, but some of the newest leaves (what I'd call the growth point I guess) are all brown and curled up.

Here's my zucchini that I'm pruning and trying to get to reach my trellis post. As you see, I've got it tied "toward" it. I've been pruning all the leaves off below the most recent set of fruit. Should I be waiting to prune after I actually harvest? Also, I have lots of little girlie flowers, but they just don't seem to want to open. Maybe they're shy, but is there anything I can do to encourage them?

My other zukes in my little corner spot are just growing free, and I've noticed some issues on some of their leaves. Ideas?

Guess what I found!!! Corn silk!!!!!!! I'm so stinking excited about corn. And I'm guessing that "knee high by 4th of July" was not coined in my zone. Sheesh! It's getting beautifully tall.

But do you see all the browning on the edges? And some wilty-ness? Problem? They're also getting a bit chewed up. End of the world?

Thanks in advance for your help in weeding through my issues (the only kind of weeding for me to date...).

Oh, and (forgive the personal indulgence) HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY, Mr. H!!!!!!!!!! It's been an amazing ride, and I love you even more than ever! Here's to an eternity more!

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 on 6/18/2011, 12:17 am

Excuse me while I wipe away the tear from my eye with your ten year anniversary plug....hehe....congrats. We're at nine !!

The zuke staking idea i'm almost positive calls for pruning the leaves (next to fruit) AFTER harvest so hold out on that or at least research that one again to be sure.

Corn is a hog and I'd love to grow it but not had the cahoonahs yet. Brave girl doing corn of your first SFG but i can't help with the wilty browniness...sorry. I've planned on a whole double (8x4) bed next year for corn alone.

My bush beans yielded great but always had leaves that were yellow and patchy in spots. I think they need a soil innoculant to be sure they use your nutrients correctly. I'll try that next time. Not sure on the brown tip death though. Sounds ominous.

Hope everything else keeps going well. Looks great. Some stuff you just have to deal with. The odd leaf issue and insect damage are part of the game Very Happy

staf74

Male Posts : 554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 6/18/2011, 1:44 pm

After some more reading (and re-reading stuff I thought I'd already understood), I do think I've been going overboard on the pruning of the zukes. But the more I think about it, since I only have one square for that particular plant, it might be a good thing. Now that the stem is a little longer, and can droop outside the box, I can let it become a little more of a beast without taking my cuke and corn space. Now if I can just get these blossoms to open. I know that I don't have enough pollinators, so I'm planning to help out every morning. I'm at peace with that.

jazzymaddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum