Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by Robbomb116 Today at 3:49 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:58 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:51 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 1:39 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:29 am

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:52 am

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:35 am

» Shallots, Prisma
by trolleydriver Today at 9:16 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:08 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by rajmahendra Today at 5:29 am

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson Today at 3:50 am

» Mason bees
by rajmahendra Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 10/19/2016, 2:15 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/18/2016, 11:17 am

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

» mason bees-for 2015
by has55 10/18/2016, 6:20 am

» The Research Journey:Connecting the dots with Soil & Diverse Cover Crops
by has55 10/18/2016, 12:06 am

» Cinnamon Pickles
by yolos 10/17/2016, 11:31 pm

» who has chickens
by Ginger Blue 10/17/2016, 9:16 pm

» Lemon Grass
by Mimi2 10/17/2016, 12:28 pm

Search SFG Forum

general tomato questions from a beginner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  tkdtara84 on 3/29/2011, 1:59 am

We are not big fresh tomato eaters at our house (I know, blasphemy to some here), but we do like sauce and salsa. I plan to do a roma for sauce, but what is a good tomato for salsa? I'm not a big fan of seed, personally. I think it comes from my grandparents canning tomatoes with seeds everywhere.

Also, I'm completely new to growing tomatoes, so from what Ive read, romas need to be caged, not trelissed. I guess a trelissable variety would be good since space is a big consideration in our yard.

Again, showing my ignorance-- I plan to do peas on a trellis in one box. Would they be harvested in time to rip them out and plant a vine tomato (from a transplant, not seed) that could be harvested before our frost? In IN we have about 150-165 frost free days. I was thinking it could work, but I'd appreciate suggestions!

Female Posts : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 3/29/2011, 4:21 am

I have to admit that I use Roma's for salsas I find that using a determinate tomato such as Roma works better for me when it comes to canning.

I wish I could help with the pea question. My Alaska peas are about 4 inches now and the Progress #9 and Sugar snaps are only about 1 inch and neither will be finished producing before my tomatoes go in.

I found an Indiana Vegetable Planting Calendar from Purdue Universty that may help.

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: general tomato questions from a beginner

Post  rowena___. on 3/29/2011, 8:53 am

i also like romas for salsa, they are firmer and less watery and homegrown have a wonderful flavor.

i would go ahead and put the tomato in the ground when it is time. the peas won't last much longer anyway when it is warm enough for the tomatoes.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 3/29/2011, 9:54 am

Some canning (paste) tomatoes are indeterminate. Amish Paste is one I'm growing this year. If you are just making fresh salsa as the summer goes along that would be ok. But if you are thinking of canning you probably either need several interdeterminate in order to get a bunch at once, or determinate which produces pretty much all at once.

I'm growing 4 Rio Grande paste tomatoes (determinate) in a 2x8 bed and so far it looks like they'll have plenty of room. Well, maybe not plenty as in not touching each other, but I don't think they'll be crowded to the point of interferring with their development.

Juliet is another paste tomato I grew last year. It's ind. and I got it at a big box store as a start last year. Did really well, but I wouldn't have had enough at a time for more than possibly a small salsa canning batch at the peak of production.

Hopefully others will chime in with actual experience. I'm also limited by high temps which make it hard for fruit to set sometimes.

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/29/2011, 5:01 pm

I had tremendous success last year with the heirloom indeterminate Gilbertie. High yields of large fruit that is very nice as table fruit or for canning/freezing as tomatoes, sauce or salsa. They also dried very well. You can see the plants in my personal photo album. I have seed available. Seed exchange database

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 on 3/29/2011, 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was planning to buy transplants when it comes time for tomatoes, but I broke down and bought a packet of roma seeds today and have already put them in seed pots. I know I'm a little late in the game to be starting seeds, but they were on super sale at Menards (11/99 cents), so I decided I wouldn't lose much if I have to throw them out. It's good practice for me.

I've never had much luck starting seedlings in the past, but I'll give it another go. I will probably just go ahead and plant them where the peas were and just buy whatever type of ind. tomato the nursery has as seedlings when the time comes.

thanks for the link to the IN planting calendar! The Purdue site is quite helpful-- we live in the same town, so almost everything they publish is pertinent to my area. I hadn't found that calendar, though.

Female Posts : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum