Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:46 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 8:35 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Today at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:21 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost Mix located! Opinions Please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compost Mix located! Opinions Please!

Post  jercarol on 4/1/2011, 11:03 am

I have been preplexed about finding 5 types of compost in my area. Since I live near the mushroom capital of the East, every center sells mushroom dirt in exclusion of most other types of compost. I found a place not too far away that sells the mix described below. Would this count for all 5 types??

(cut and pasted from site)
Compost 1
Starting with steam pasteurization then composted in wind rows and finally cured on a concrete pad, this product is ninety nine percent weed seed free. Horticultural Compost is blended from hay, straw, horse manure, poultry litter, corn cobs, cottonseed hulls, coca bean hulls, hardwood sawdust, millet, and fortified with peat moss and gypsum. Our horticultural compost is rich in beneficial microorganisms and fungi.

Compost 2
compost/soil is made from: hay,straw,woodchips,sawdust,dehyd.chicken manure,gypsum,lime,sugerbeat lime, Canadian peat moss,oak leaves phase2 compost[before mushroom growing], mushroom stumps,shiitake logs,
raw materials are mixed and composted,then blended together, and turned with an aero-master bio-systems turner sprayed with water and natural compost tea’s,and goody water.great for vegetables, gives higher brix readings on all veggies. This product requires more input in man hours and material.

I can get it for about $50 yd

I am doing 4 more 4x4 boxes and one 2x10 box. I think I have the math right (used Mel's Mix Cal. found on the forum). I need around 15 cubic feet so I need less that a cubic yard (but I can always use compost.

I can afford to do my boxes at this rate but not by buying many small compost bags.

So after reading the two compost descriptions, do you feel it meets the requirements of 5 compost types? AND which compost do you like the most??

Thanks so much, Jerry

jercarol

Male Posts : 39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Mix located! Opinions Please!

Post  Odd Duck on 4/1/2011, 5:28 pm

Both of those sound lke excellent, mixed source composts and I would probably use some of each of they'll sell them in smaller than volumes than a full yard. Many places will sell a half yard of a bulk product. If you can put some mushroom compost in the blend as well, I think you'd probably be in good shape.

Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 4/1/2011, 5:50 pm

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/33 Here's an article about mushroom compost that someone posted on the Forum awhile back.

It says:
Mushroom compost can supply nutrients and increase the water-holding capacity of the soil. But mushroom compost can be too much of a good thing for seeds, seedlings and young plants, said OSU's Hart.

"The soluble salts and other nutrients in fresh, undiluted mushroom compost, are too concentrated for germinating seeds, young plants and other salt-sensitive plants including members of the heath family such as rhododendrons, blueberries and azaleas," said Hart.

To avoid killing germinating seeds and stressing heath family members, Hart recommends mixing mushroom compost with garden soil before using it on young plants. Or, order a supply of mushroom compost in the fall and let it sit uncovered, to "cure" over the winter.

I wonder if 1/3 peat & 1/3 verm will "dilute" the the mushroom compost enough.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/1/2011, 6:28 pm

ksroman wrote:
I wonder if 1/3 peat & 1/3 verm will "dilute" the the mushroom compost enough.
But to follow Mel's recipe you would want 4 other types of compost, which would make using mushroom compost a perfect component of the MM. Very Happy

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 4/1/2011, 6:33 pm

Howdy:

Boy-Oh-Boy what a find. Both sound very good. I do like number one better though. Now a blend of both of these would be one power house of a blended compost and yes I think that either mix will meet or exceed the 5 blended compost recommendation.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jercarol on 4/1/2011, 6:56 pm

I am glad most you you like it. I have a little GMC Sonoma so I will see what I can fit into the bed. I do have some mushroom dirt that I used when I row gardened that I can mix into whatever I want.

Thanks and keep the opinions coming.

jercarol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/1/2011, 9:40 pm

I miss my 4.3 V-6 Sonoma. But, we now have a GMC 2500HD Diesel (to tow our 15,000 lb 5th wheel)

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 4/1/2011, 9:51 pm

Isn't it 5 INGREDIENTS for the compost, not 5 TYPES? If so, mushroom compost is already a blend of MANY different ingredients. The following is from an Oregon State University article that was posted on this Forum awhile back:

"The recipe for mushroom compost varies from company to company, but can include composted wheat or rye straw, peat moss, used horse bedding straw, chicken manure, cottonseed or canola meal, grape crushings from wineries, soybean meal, potash, gypsum, urea, ammonium nitrate and lime."

The name comes from the fact that it is the perfect medium for growing mushrooms. It does not contain mushrooms.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/1/2011, 10:16 pm

As to the original post, I would go with the second choice. It has a lot of good extras in it, like the gypsum and lime. Even though the second choice contains peat, it is probably well composted, but would that throw off the final mix from Mel's recipe? I dont know, I would want to find out the percentage of peat, roughly.

All composts that are sold commercially in bags are generally a blend, even if its called cow manure compost it is most probably stable litter with shavings. I often find small sticks, bark and stones in bagged compost.
I was truly under the impression that Mel recommends that the 5 composts come from different sources, but I cannot find it in the book just now.

Ksroman, is there anything in the certified teachers information that may clear up this mystery? I am really curious now. :?:

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 4/1/2011, 10:47 pm

The book talks about compost usually being a "byproduct of one industry". The reason you should blend 5 different sources/types is because that bag contains only one INGREDIENT.

SO if one of these sources/types/bags of compost is already a BLEND of more than 5 ingredients, as mushroom compost is, it would be the same as if I made it from scratch.

Right?

Last edited by ksroman on 4/1/2011, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add something)

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/1/2011, 11:05 pm

Hey Jerry, do you have a link to the site that lists the compost?

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jercarol on 4/2/2011, 10:34 pm

Yes but you would ask me now that I did a virus sweep and deleted everything including my Histroy!!!!!!!!!! ARG! I will sit down when I have more time and search it. I remember I found it under some odd search phrase.

jercarol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/2/2011, 11:17 pm

oh, no worries, It's not necessary,I was just curious. thanks though!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum