Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG in a Circle

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SFG in a Circle

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/4/2011, 3:35 am

Hello,

I moved into a new home recently. Now for the good and bad. We have a much bigger backyard, however, most is covered with bermuda grass. There are 4' circles for trees and there are 2 of them that don't have anything in them.

Has anyone tried an SFG in a circle? I figure I can still make grids, however, I will have some leftovers on each side. I was planning on putting in some Georgia Sweet Onions in the excess space. Will that be enough room for the onions? I figure I will have about 6"-8" at the widest area and plan to put about 6-8 onions in each of the 4 excess regions. Thanks in advance.

AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle

Post  shannon1 on 4/4/2011, 3:45 am

That sounds like a beautiful plan. I like to plant spring onion sets around my other plants anyway to confuse pests when you are done please post some pics.

flower Shannon

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceashels on 4/4/2011, 8:22 am

I think a circular garden would look very attractive and would be a
greater focal point in a yard. Can you post pics of it as your garden
grows for us to see?

Ceashels

Female Posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/4/2011, 9:16 am

@AZDYJ2K wrote:Hello,

I moved into a new home recently. Now for the good and bad. We have a much bigger backyard, however, most is covered with bermuda grass. There are 4' circles for trees and there are 2 of them that don't have anything in them.

Has anyone tried an SFG in a circle? I figure I can still make grids, however, I will have some leftovers on each side. I was planning on putting in some Georgia Sweet Onions in the excess space. Will that be enough room for the onions? I figure I will have about 6"-8" at the widest area and plan to put about 6-8 onions in each of the 4 excess regions. Thanks in advance.

Given the Mission Statement at the top of the page, I would start by saying it's SQUARE Foot Gardening, not Circle Foot Gardening......bear with me before you start getting angry here. The fundamentals of spacing all depend on squares. Therefore, the easiest shape of your bed is a square...for calculating math. I am into eating pie, not multiplying by it....lol.

However, I really think this is an interesting idea for the more experienced gardener to try. Rectangles obviously have squares inside them, and I think that's all that matters. With your pie pieces or curved pieces, you would definitely need to know your math to uphold a key principle of the technique......getting the most of your space. But, I suppose there has to be room for "artistic license."

Just the other day, I had a dream that I built a Choo-Choo Train Garden for my kids. It was a hybrid shape blending both the shape of a train and a couple pyramid gardens to build things up into the smokestack and cabin of an old steam engine. I wondered what/how I would plant the odd corners near the edges. I figured some small things like lettuces, carrots and radishes that don't need full squares to grow only a couple plants. Now, I'll never undertake such a challenge because it's so elaborate. But, I have to admit, it would sure look cool.

And, I suppose your circle garden would look fabulous, too!

But, I think it's important to mention to the newer people to the system......get a season or two under your belt. Get the fundamental techniques down. Then, if you have a funky shape that would lend aesthetically to your landscape, I wouldn't shy away from giving it a shot....as long as the other principles of SFG remain in tact. There is likely a lot of room for creativity here someday. I'm intrigued by the idea and would love to see pictures of things if you try this.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/4/2011, 9:37 am

I think the sfg concepts are being adhered too. After all the circle is first being squared off and planted according to principles. Then just the left over spots are being filled in on an existing locations just as we would if we planted in the holes of concrete boxes. There is nothing in sfg that suggests we waste existing gardening space.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/4/2011, 9:56 am

@walshevak wrote:I think the sfg concepts are being adhered too. After all the circle is first being squared off and planted according to principles. Then just the left over spots are being filled in on an existing locations just as we would if we planted in the holes of concrete boxes. There is nothing in sfg that suggests we waste existing gardening space.

Kay

I agree. I was not trying to be a jerk about it at all. The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued. But, it's definitely an advanced concept.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/4/2011, 11:40 am

@AZDYJ2K wrote:Hello,

Yeah go ahead and plunk a box there, round or square, fill it with Mel's mix, grid off the way you want, (though sq. foot is ideal). Send us some photos and lets see what you got going on !!! Very Happy

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/4/2011, 4:32 pm

I will definitely have to use the circles since I don't have another viable choice at the time. I might mix it up a bit and plant some herbs around the edges. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I'll post some pictures soon!

AZDYJ2K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort on 4/4/2011, 5:54 pm

I think you can get 5 full squares and a bunch of odd little shapes if you grid if off... No reason not to try....

ashort

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/4/2011, 7:58 pm

AZDYJ2K,
Herbs in those non-conformist Wink sections would be a nice way to emphasize the square foot grid in the center of those circular beds. Especially if you use some sprawly type herbs like thyme or even upright herbs that were kept trimmed, like basil and oregano. Even the onions would do the same thing.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/6/2011, 2:59 am

@ashort wrote:I think you can get 5 full squares and a bunch of odd little shapes if you grid if off... No reason not to try....

Your math is better than mine. I was thinking I could get more but I think you're right. Sad
I should make up for some on the edges though. Wink

AZDYJ2K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh on 4/6/2011, 6:29 am

A circle garden sounds fun.
I'm in support of anything that keeps the bermuda grass out of the garden! I can't stand bermuda grass. I am finding that there is a lot more in my yard than we thought. We got our house in Dec of 09 and they must have dumped a bunch of rocks over everything in the back yard just before selling to make it look nicer. Anywhere that gets some water a little clump of grass pops up through the rocks. So far not much in the garden, but our tree rings are a constant battle even with thick mulch. We have found all sorts of pavers, flagstone, and when digging for the trees found out there used to be a pool in the backyard (confirmed by neighbor)!

I'm with the others, if you do it, pictures are a must! Good luck

duhh

Female Posts : 378

View user profile http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips on 4/6/2011, 8:49 am

As long as you are spacing the plants according to the recommendations, a circle bed will do just as great as a square one. Hope you have lots of fun designing your circle bed.
( a circle is a square without corners)

CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 778

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 4/6/2011, 9:25 am

@AZDYJ2K wrote:snip..... There are 4' circles for trees and there are 2 of them that don't have anything in them.

Shouldn't that be called a Pi-r-S'edFG?

Good golly I would have some fun with circles. My first experience with small gardens were my Knot Gardens for herbs (at first). When we were building it became my only garden and I loved it. Do go with the grid to get started but I loved making spaces with string and pegs to outline the knot. Even more than the geometric comfort that draws people to my SFGs now (when it doesn't look like tent city), people would just stop and gaze at the knots and what was planted in them to define them (I would probably end up using the onions to define the boundaries of the knots) Whatever you do with the onions, enjoy your garden~

Debs....feeling the need for fewer corners somewhere.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/6/2011, 9:28 am

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
But, I think it's important to mention to the newer people to the system......get a season or two under your belt. Get the fundamental techniques down. Then, if you have a funky shape that would lend aesthetically to your landscape, I wouldn't shy away from giving it a shot....as long as the other principles of SFG remain in tact. There is likely a lot of room for creativity here someday. I'm intrigued by the idea and would love to see pictures of things if you try this.

Funny thing AZD has been a SFG forum member since last May.
Fundamentals are important to understand and when understood can be manipulated to a degree.
I am doing a round garden too!

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan on 4/6/2011, 9:52 am

Think like a quilter...

Those half square triangle (backwards corners??) would be great for flowers or herbs!

Hmmm....I wonder if I could get the hub to build me one of these?...

pattipan

pattipan

Female Posts : 807

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 on 4/6/2011, 9:53 am

@camprn wrote:
Funny thing AZD has been a SFG forum member since last May.
Fundamentals are important to understand and when understood can be manipulated to a degree.
I am doing a round garden too!

+1, I totally agree! Do what makes you happy! Here's a little visual I put together

[img][/img]

dianamarie03

Female Posts : 96

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 4/6/2011, 11:16 am

I think this statement was directed to those that might be reading this post. Not pointedly at the OP.

How long someone has been on the forum is really no indicator as to how long they have been doing SFG.

Lavender I love your sense of humor!! HA!

Looks like you have some great ideas for squaring off that circle. Awesome idea Pattipan and dianamarie! ...great diagrams!

AZD? I noticed in another thread a while back where you moved your boxes to your new home! MM and all!!! Are you doing the circles in addition to the boxes you took with you?

Sounds like you are going to have more garden space this year eh?

Happy Spring! And Happy Gardening!

Jennie
Admin

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/6/2011, 11:38 am

I love knot gardens!! and Pi-R-sqrd is perfect.

Personally, the rectangular shapes of SFG have always bothered me a bit. To me, smooth lines and curves are more pleasing to the eye. They have 'flow'. Marking them off the way Pattipan did is one way that I find makes me more comfortable with the shape.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/6/2011, 3:04 pm

[quote="middlemamma"]
AZD? I noticed in another thread a while back where you moved your boxes to your new home! MM and all!!! Are you doing the circles in addition to the boxes you took with you?

Sounds like you are going to have more garden space this year eh?

Happy Spring! And Happy Gardening!

Jennie
Admin

Correct, I did move everything (took 3 trips in an SUV and was way more work than I thought). Unfortunately I may have less space this year since I have not put down my original 4X4 and 3X3. I think overall if I can utilize the edges of the circle I will have approximately the same amount of space as my 4x4 & 3x3.

My issue is now finding time to clear out some bermuda to lay down my squares. Sad

AZDYJ2K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/6/2011, 3:05 pm

@pattipan wrote:Think like a quilter...

Those half square triangle (backwards corners??) would be great for flowers or herbs!

Hmmm....I wonder if I could get the hub to build me one of these?...

pattipan

I like the visual, this looks awesome!

AZDYJ2K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 4/6/2011, 3:44 pm

I have psycho grass here too....my recommendation is cardboard, then newspaper then weed barrier, then boxes and Mel's mix on top! I have grass poking through my 2 layers of weedbarrier...but it isn't a lot. This year when we expand it will be cardboard and weed barrier. Good luck!!!

middlemamma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/6/2011, 3:56 pm

@middlemamma wrote:I have psycho grass here too....my recommendation is cardboard, then newspaper then weed barrier, then boxes and Mel's mix on top! I have grass poking through my 2 layers of weedbarrier...but it isn't a lot. This year when we expand it will be cardboard and weed barrier. Good luck!!!
I'm a big fan of taking up the sod for this reason. I don't want to take any chances. Good luck with the weeds MM!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 4/6/2011, 4:01 pm

I don't know what this stuff is...but it isn't sod...like it doesn't grow nice like sod. It doesn't have a bottom like sod....does that make sense???

If I pull it the roots go sideways under the ground...it's like you never get to the end of it? For 6 years of it not being cared for before we moved in...the amount I had coming up through the weed barrier was awesome. AND we tilled AND raked it all out before we laid that down! Think I had about 15 little spots it broke through. So this year hoping all three might get me only 4 or 5 clumps coming up. Very Happy Here's to hoping!

Oh and NONE of it came up in any of my boxes because I did 3 layers of barrier in those. Where it is coming up is in the paths between the boxes.

middlemamma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/6/2011, 4:58 pm

@middlemamma wrote:I don't know what this stuff is...but it isn't sod...like it doesn't grow nice like sod. It doesn't have a bottom like sod....does that make sense???

If I pull it the roots go sideways under the ground...it's like you never get to the end of it? For 6 years of it not being cared for before we moved in...the amount I had coming up through the weed barrier was awesome. AND we tilled AND raked it all out before we laid that down! Think I had about 15 little spots it broke through. So this year hoping all three might get me only 4 or 5 clumps coming up. Very Happy Here's to hoping!

Oh and NONE of it came up in any of my boxes because I did 3 layers of barrier in those. Where it is coming up is in the paths between the boxes.

You, my friend, have some Bermuda. Although, I didn't think you'd have any up there. I didn't think it could handle your winters. At any rate, your tipoff is when you pull and it goes sideways....those are loosely termed rhizomes. I assume it's still brown? Bermuda won't green up until the soil stays in the upper 50s or lower 60s overnight. Good luck with that S$#@&##! It's hard to keep away from an SFG.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum