Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring
by sanderson Today at 3:54 am

» Medical Herbs
by sanderson Today at 3:52 am

» Hello from Richmond
by sanderson Today at 3:36 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:19 am

» New from OK City
by sanderson Today at 3:18 am

» Mirrors in the Garden
by sanderson Today at 3:11 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» Hello all
by sanderson Today at 2:59 am

» March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Double layer weed cloth/landscape fabric?
by phoeg Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Hello from Southeast Michigan!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Dragon Fruit!
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:57 pm

» Friend or foe?
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Nomadic’s Diary - An Italian SFG Orto/Vegetable Garden
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:41 pm

» Comfrey
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:08 am

» Anyone in SE Idaho or near by?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:56 am

» Making Smoothies
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 9:03 am

» 1st SFG Plan - Any thoughts?
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:11 am

» It's Fertilizer Time; Fruit Trees Down South!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:10 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:08 am

» New For 2017
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:39 am

» Hello from MN
by ralitaco 3/26/2017, 11:40 pm

» New England March 2017
by Scorpio Rising 3/26/2017, 7:27 pm

» Raised beds already made.
by jimmy cee 3/26/2017, 9:32 am

» GF Books
by CapeCoddess 3/26/2017, 7:16 am

» Rolling Boxes
by sanderson 3/26/2017, 4:36 am

» Need another type of compost.
by ralitaco 3/25/2017, 8:56 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/11/2011, 2:20 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the SFG in a circle. On the top down view I attempted to draw lines that approximate 1 square foot. I need to actually put grids down to get the best bang for the buck. By my calculations I should have just over 12.5 Sq Ft. If I play my cards right, it appears I should be able to get 9 good squares. The only problem will be with the 2 lower corner squares. Or I might place the grid right in the middle and have a little bit taken off each corner. It would look more symmetrical.

I have some lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower that just sprouted and will replant them in there soon. Will send in more pics once I get the grids and seedlings planted.

Hope this is not an abomination of the SFG. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this was just a way to get something going with what I have available at the moment.


avatar
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169
Join date : 2010-05-28
Location : Chandler, AZ USDA Zone 9A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/11/2011, 2:41 am

@AZDYJ2K wrote:Here are a couple of pictures of the SFG in a circle. On the top down view I attempted to draw lines that approximate 1 square foot. I need to actually put grids down to get the best bang for the buck. By my calculations I should have just over 12.5 Sq Ft. If I play my cards right, it appears I should be able to get 9 good squares. The only problem will be with the 2 lower corner squares. Or I might place the grid right in the middle and have a little bit taken off each corner. It would look more symmetrical.

I have some lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower that just sprouted and will replant them in there soon. Will send in more pics once I get the grids and seedlings planted.

Hope this is not an abomination of the SFG. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this was just a way to get something going with what I have available at the moment
This looks like a good use of your old tree planting bed. 9 good squares can be 9 different crops. Those little outside edges will be great for herbs and onions. I agree that it would be more pleasing to the eye if you moved your grid a bit and centered it.

Great Job!
avatar
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141
Join date : 2010-06-10
Age : 70
Location : Coastal Oregon, Zone 9a, Heat Zone 2 :(

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  shannon1 on 4/11/2011, 3:27 am

I totaly agree with Furbalsmom, You might want to plant french marigolds or othe benifical flowers around the outside. It is going to be lovely how ever you plant it can't wait for more pics.
avatar
shannon1

Posts : 1697
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : zone 9a St.Johns county FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  Old Hippie on 4/11/2011, 11:25 am

Yup! What she said. Looking good.

Gwynn
avatar
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156
Join date : 2010-08-12
Age : 66
Location : Canada 3b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  Chopped Liver MM on 4/11/2011, 1:38 pm

Love it! It looks really cool and can't wait to see more! Are we there yet?

Chopped Liver MM

Posts : 63
Join date : 2011-03-20
Location : North Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  Goosegirl on 4/11/2011, 1:50 pm

I love it! I have a few half barrels that I may be 'gridding' like that.
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3408
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  Chopped Liver MM on 4/11/2011, 2:26 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:I love it! I have a few half barrels that I may be 'gridding' like that.

Nice idea. I might have to break out the sawsall today and "prepare" some barrels too.

Chopped Liver MM

Posts : 63
Join date : 2011-03-20
Location : North Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/11/2011, 2:39 pm

@Chopped Liver MM wrote:Love it! It looks really cool and can't wait to see more! Are we there yet?

Those are my latest pics from yesterday and nothing has changed. I will add grids and seedlings this coming weekend or weekend after and send in more pics then.
avatar
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169
Join date : 2010-05-28
Location : Chandler, AZ USDA Zone 9A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/11/2011, 2:52 pm

@shannon1 wrote:I totaly agree with Furbalsmom, You might want to plant french marigolds or othe benifical flowers around the outside. It is going to be lovely how ever you plant it can't wait for more pics.

Yes, I was planning on putting onions as Furbalsmom mentioned. I will also try garlic, herbs and also some marigolds as you suggested. That's a great idea. Thanks.
avatar
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169
Join date : 2010-05-28
Location : Chandler, AZ USDA Zone 9A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in a Circle (Pictures)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum