Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trimmers / Edgers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trimmers / Edgers

Post  nancy on 4/11/2011, 10:05 am

Last year I toyed with the idea of getting a cordless trimmer to help me tackle some of the weeds at the community garden, but I never got around to buying one. Yesterday I was informed that I will have to begin cutting my own backyard. This is something I have never done and truly, I had hoped to never do! My backyard is only about 20'x25' and the perimeter is planted out with my butterfly garden, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The landlord used to do it with a trimmer, so now I am even more motivated to get one. Any recommendations? I'm intrigued by The Worx - any reviews? It must be cordless as there is no power source at the community garden. Thanks!!

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trimmers / Edgers

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/11/2011, 10:35 am

I hate to say it, but I am a big proponent of gasoline engines. I know batteries are more eco-friendly, but I have a darned job to do and don't want to mess around.

Gas will likely be more powerful, and you still have the unlimited reach. Once the batteries start losing their abilities to hold their charge, you lose a good bit of power. If you are working a community garden, and it depends on the size, I don't know if you will have enough battery to get the whole job done in one charge. The 20x25 plot of grass should be ok, but the thicker the grass, the harder it will be on the battery's power.

Just something to consider. Before you rule out gas power, look into the average life of a charge, cut it down by a third for a more realistic time after the trimmer has some use on it, and also look into what a replacement battery costs. Then, compare the pro's and con's against gasoline engines.

(Even at $5/gal, a small gas powered trimmer is a minimal expense. You just won't go through a gallon of gas that often with a 20x25 foot plot of land.)

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/11/2011, 2:10 pm

I tend to side with BBG on this one. The dead batteries and disposal of them is a problem that many people forget about. To say nothing of the stuff that goes into making the batteries in the first place and how far it has to be transport just to make them.

IMO...careful use of a gas powered machine actually makes more sense even environmentally.

Oh yeah, for just cutting the grass, there are some great push mowers without motors of any kind, out there now that are awesome. That is what we use to cut the grass. Then we just need to use a trimmer for around the fence and garden etc.

Gwynn

Last edited by Old Hippie on 4/11/2011, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding to original post)

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/11/2011, 3:45 pm

Thanks for spurring my memory, Gwynn. I forgot to mention the "reel cut" mowers. If you cut frequently, and small patches of ground, they are a perfect choice.....and, likey a great one for you.

No gas, no electric, no nothing. Just a little oil on the blades and off you go. "Reel cut" is actually the technology most golf course mowers use to cut their greens and tee boxes anyway.

And, they shouldn't be more expensive than a trimmer, either. Not that this is a recommendation, but here's a quick image of what I'm talking about. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07143365000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003h&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=00-5934712-2

You just let the grass clippings lay in the yard as an organic fertilizer, provided you cut a couple times per week. And, some models even have a little catcher on the back....you could take the cuttings and put them right in the compost pile.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/11/2011, 5:34 pm

Ours has a grass catcher that you can use or not use depending on what you want to do. We use it if the grass gets too quite long between cutting. The beauty of these is that they are quieter. There is no cord to run over. No gas to worry about and they are easier to use on a small yard. Ours is 60 by 130 and we have the two boulevards to do as well because we live on a corner lot but we still much prefer it to a power one. Periodically, it does need to have the blades sharpened as any lawnmower does but there are places that do that if you don't do it yourself. My DH loves it. It is no harder to push and doesn't take any longer to mow the yard with it than with a power one.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener on 4/11/2011, 5:52 pm

I would go with the reel mower too. I used to work at a Hader hardware years ago and they sold a ton of those to people with small yards such as yours. And it would be way easier than trying to use a trimmer on the whole thing. (a trimmer still wouldn't be a bad idea though for tight spots and corners. I have a cordless rechargeable Black and Decker one that works great. It wouldn't be enough juice for doing the fence line of a huge yard, but more than enough for a small one and some garden beds.

Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 4/11/2011, 6:32 pm

There are a lot of people in my neighborhood that use push mowers. The sound takes me back to my childhood & reminds me of grandma's house. Right now my yard is so lush with clover & chives that I wonder if there is any grass in there. =)

Thanks for the suggestions & recommendations. I don't know about using a push mower at the garden, but this is an idea I will pursue. You guys rock!!

nancy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy on 4/11/2011, 10:33 pm

Fiskars makes a great one, check it out http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-6201-18-Inch-5-Blade-Momentum/dp/B0045VL1OO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302575058&sr=8-1

outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 4/19/2011, 5:57 pm

So I no sooner than get out of the car last night when two neighborhood boys (6th grade) approach me and ask if I want my back yard cut! They asked for $8 and I negotiated them down to $6. They did such a great job on the lush clover that I ended up giving them $10. One had a push mower and the other had huge lawn shears. They even raked! I'm just tickled! And if they are enterprising enough this could be a summer-long deal! Woo hoo!

nancy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/19/2011, 6:06 pm

@nancy wrote:So I no sooner than get out of the car last night when two neighborhood boys (6th grade) approach me and ask if I want my back yard cut! They asked for $8 and I negotiated them down to $6. They did such a great job on the lush clover that I ended up giving them $10. One had a push mower and the other had huge lawn shears. They even raked! I'm just tickled! And if they are enterprising enough this could be a summer-long deal! Woo hoo!

Please find them and tell them that. Kids need to learn work ethic these days, and they need to learn service. If you rewarded them with more money than they asked, which is outstanding by the way, they should WANT to keep cutting your grass. I sure hope you've found some future successes.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum