Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» who has chickens
by FamilyGardening Today at 2:50 am

» Hi from Punta Gorda, FL!
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» 1st SFG Box
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:27 pm

» Compost: Bekeley 18 day [hot] method
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» Annie's Salsa
by Turan Yesterday at 10:56 pm

» New England August 2014
by NHGardener Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» Keeping bees
by yolos Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» peach jam
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» tomato surprise
by johnp Yesterday at 4:21 pm

» Canning
by llama momma Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Loaded Brandywines!
by southern gardener Yesterday at 11:07 am

» California folks - y'all okay?
by Windmere 8/27/2014, 11:32 pm

» SFG Charity -- Volunteer Day in S. FL
by TCgardening 8/27/2014, 9:40 pm

» Okra questions
by Marc Iverson 8/27/2014, 6:07 pm

» Which garden veggies have taproots?
by Marc Iverson 8/27/2014, 6:05 pm

» my experience with raspberries
by donnainzone10 8/27/2014, 2:03 pm

» Vegetable Crackers from Pulp
by llama momma 8/27/2014, 1:47 pm

» 2014 garden = "C-"
by manda99 8/27/2014, 1:44 pm

» First pick
by plantoid 8/27/2014, 5:50 am

» How to get rid these bugs?
by sanderson 8/27/2014, 4:36 am

» Some minor problems
by sanderson 8/27/2014, 3:22 am

» Fall garden planting time
by TCgardening 8/26/2014, 9:05 pm

» Fertilizer in bagged mix
by plantoid 8/26/2014, 6:20 pm

» Show us your kitchen compost container
by dstack 8/26/2014, 5:36 am

» Vines, I've come to love and hate - flowering ones
by sanderson 8/25/2014, 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by FamilyGardening 8/25/2014, 10:23 pm

» Mid-At Aug 2014 - Cooler than normal August?
by Mikesgardn 8/25/2014, 8:19 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Marc Iverson 8/25/2014, 8:04 pm

» Tomato Festival in Granby, MA.
by sanderson 8/25/2014, 1:02 pm

» "Hoop House" Glides Open & Closed
by yolos 8/25/2014, 10:11 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Home Made Laundry Detergent & More

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Home Made Laundry Detergent & More

Post  camprn on 3/11/2012, 9:56 am

AH, isn't chemistry interesting? Dont forget, when filling the jugs, don't go to the top, you will want to shake it to remix! Very Happy

35 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts: 12464

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/11/2012, 10:42 am

camprn wrote:AH, isn't chemistry interesting? Dont forget, when filling the jugs, don't go to the top, you will want to shake it to remix! Very Happy

So camp, when filling your final containers, you only fill then half full of the detergent and the other half with more water? So am I correct in thinking that my 5 gal mix is actually 10 gallons finished product?

RoOsTeR

Male Posts: 3661

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/11/2012, 10:59 am

nKedrOoStEr wrote:
camprn wrote:AH, isn't chemistry interesting? Dont forget, when filling the jugs, don't go to the top, you will want to shake it to remix! Very Happy

So camp, when filling your final containers, you only fill then half full of the detergent and the other half with more water? So am I correct in thinking that my 5 gal mix is actually 10 gallons finished product?
Yes, you are correct. I use a quart container, like a yogurt container and using a funnel pour 2 quarts of the gel-ish mix in ten one gallon milk containers. Then I fill to about 1.5 inches from the top with water, cap and store. Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 3/18/2012, 10:09 am

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:FV - I was thinking of you all winter long! I'm so glad to see you back and posting. Please take care of yourself and recover, but know we are thinking of and missing you! Smile BIG hug

Thanks so much, not sure how much I'll be able to get on, time and internet are issues. My internet comes and goes, mostly goes.... Thanks for your comments.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts: 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/18/2012, 10:37 am

We've used the laundry detergent for 1 week now and it's passed the test At my house the washing machine gets a constant workout! With my job and young kids, the machine is always full of dirty clothes. My wife says for the price, it can't be beat, but she doesn't think the whites get as white (like socks) as she would like. Me, I could care less. Ain't nobody gonna see my socks except me when I slip them on in the morning. I'm pretty much your typical male + dirty plumber to boot. My jeans are my hand towel, and on occasion my sleeve serves as a hanky affraid and my clothes have been just fine. She agrees though that the cost savings and cleaning for the most part are great! I'd say for everyday laundry this stuff can't be beat. Plus, just like anyone else with kids knows, half the time the clothes that are in their hamper just kinda end up there and aren't worn at all... tongue

And it's great to see you when we can FV

RoOsTeR

Male Posts: 3661

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/18/2012, 11:50 am

I have the same issue with the whites not getting as white. And I have to wear white. Shocked so, I presoak the things I really want white and then use bleach and the HOT setting.

Last edited by camprn on 3/18/2012, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix typos per usual)

camprn

Back to top Go down

Homemade Fabric Softener

Post  morganfam7 on 3/18/2012, 4:12 pm

I haven't tried this yet, but hopefully soon.

Homemade Fabric Softener

6 cups hot water
3 cups vinegar
2 cups Suave Refreshing Waterfall Conditioner {or other favorite scent}

(Read more: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2010/10/homemade-fabric-softener.html#ixzz1pV8HVagy)

morganfam7

Female Posts: 111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner on 3/21/2012, 3:18 pm

I've been making homemade laundry soap for years. I use the liquid variety, because I don't like powdered soaps (I think it makes cloth pill faster).

I started with a slightly different recipe than the one liquid one given in the thread. Over time, I found our whites were graying, so I boosted the powder content. That did the trick, and white are white now without using bleach (which breaks down the integrity of fabric).

I don't like the gelatinous goop either, so I've made another change. I'm testing it currently, to see if the whites are affected.

Each batch makes 2 gallons. I keep two old liquid laundry gallon containers around, and refill them. We use the cap for a measure - 1/2 cup.

We do a lot of laundry. We have a DH and DM with hyper skin sensitivies, 2 prone to get food on their clothes, 1 prone to bladder and bowel loss (way worse than diapers), heavy dirt gardeners, desert players, and a stinky 13yo boy. I treat urine (ammonia) with vinegar in the load, and pre-soak feces stains in Biz), and spot food and blood with Zout.

Our water is hard (lime and salts), awful and irritating.

I'm in the "if it doesn't smell weird, it's clean camp" and I want no signs of spots.

On the first go round, I priced it all out (including the bucket to mix) and it works out to $0.125 cents per gallon...or 2 gallons for a whopping 25 cents! SUCH a savings over the $10/gal natural stuff I used to buy. Even with extra powder, it's still really cheap.

Now I use homemade dishwasher detergent too, although it needs some tweaking. I hated that they removed the phosphates. They removed hard water stains and detergent residue as well as capture air (the bubbles). 9 states complained and all 50 lost it! Evil or Very Mad

The Original takes some time, and I either start it the night before or first thing in the morning.

Original Laundry Detergent:
  1. A bucket, marked with 1/2 gal, 1 gal, 1-1/2 gal and 2 gal indicators (I used a Sharpie)
  2. 1/3 laundry soap (fels naptha, zote, etc. OR substitute a bar of bath soap)
  3. 1/2 cup borax
  4. 1/2 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda yet also sold by Arm & Hammer Corp).

I slice up the soap into thin slivers, grating is too messy and time consuming. It takes me about 10 min to slice.

Fill a dutch oven (spaghetti pot) with water. It's probably 6-8 cups. Soak your soap overnight if you wish, or simply heat on low until the cut up bar soap is dissolved. Let cool. NOTE: the lye in the soap has a distinctive smell. I keep a lid on it, and the exhaust fan on.

Add the powders to the liquid. Some add the powders to the hot liquid. I do it when the liquid is cool or lukewarm.

The heat increases the speed of the 'egg drop soup' consistency.

Add additional water to the 2 gal mark. Pour into containers (easier to do when cool).

Shake container before using. 1/2 cup per load.

Improved Original Laundry Detergent: (Still gelatinous, whiter whites)
  1. A bucket, marked with 1/2 gal, 1 gal, 1-1/2 gal and 2 gal indicators (I used a Sharpie)
  2. 1/3 laundry soap (fels naptha, zote, etc. OR substitute a bar of bath soap)
  3. 1 cup borax
  4. 1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda yet also sold by Arm & Hammer Corp).

Mix as above.

I don't like the gooeyness or the thick skin it develops when exposed to air, and I don't like how the powders lump and don't dissolve. It's based on a chemical reaction between the powders and the lye.

TESTING: Laundry Detergent: (NON-gelatinous & REALLY FAST)
  2. 1 oz liquid castile soap (I use 1/2 bottle of Dr Bronner's samples)
  3. 1 cup borax
  4. 1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda yet also sold by Arm & Hammer Corp).

Fill your bucket with water to 1.5 gal mark. Add your ingredients. Add more water to the 2 gal mark. Pour into containers. Use 1/2 gal per load. It may thicken a very small amount.

NOTE: to get rid of the lumps I put about 2-4 cups of water in the blender, add the dry soaps and blend them up. Then I add them to the bucket with the castile soap.

So far, it's doing great. No more waiting around for soap to be made or lye smell from the kitchen or running the exhaust fan for hours. No stink and no stains in the clothes. The gray buildup (if it happens) takes a while (under observation!).

NOW...Does anyone know
  • how to make bleach? Or,
  • how to make Zout (my favorite pre-spotter). Or,
  • how to make a dishwasher detergent that cleans, doesn't spot or smell weird(we don't use dry heat on dishes)? Or
  • can identify Gwennifer's Flubber?

AvaDGardner

Female Posts: 631

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  morganfam7 on 3/24/2012, 6:59 pm

We're doing the fabric softener this week, so I'll report back once I know.

morganfam7

Female Posts: 111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner on 4/10/2012, 1:47 am

Morgan, how did the fabric softener test go?

AvaDGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 4/10/2012, 8:03 am

morganfam7 wrote:I haven't tried this yet, but hopefully soon.

Homemade Fabric Softener

6 cups hot water
3 cups vinegar
2 cups Suave Refreshing Waterfall Conditioner {or other favorite scent}

(Read more: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2010/10/homemade-fabric-softener.html#ixzz1pV8HVagy)

I am definitely trying this!

GG

PS - Just mixed up a batch and Hubby will try it out on Laundry Day!

Last edited by Goosegirl on 4/10/2012, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts: 3067

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolinaGirl on 4/10/2012, 8:51 am

Do these soaps work in an HE washer? We had issues once when we accidentally bought non-HE soap.. we had soap suds coming up out of the vent on the back of the washer. We now make sure that we get the HE kind. I wouldn't mind trying homemade detergent, but fear having a repeat of the suds out the back (and onto the wall and down the wall to the floor.. we just put down new flooring and don't want water damage already lol).

CarolinaGirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/10/2012, 11:02 am

CarolinaGirl wrote:Do these soaps work in an HE washer? We had issues once when we accidentally bought non-HE soap.. we had soap suds coming up out of the vent on the back of the washer. We now make sure that we get the HE kind. I wouldn't mind trying homemade detergent, but fear having a repeat of the suds out the back (and onto the wall and down the wall to the floor.. we just put down new flooring and don't want water damage already lol).
I use mine in the HE washer, works just fine, low suds. Very Happy

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick on 4/10/2012, 12:48 pm

AvaDGardner wrote: NOW...Does anyone know

• how to make bleach? Or,
  • how to make Zout (my favorite pre-spotter). Or,
  • how to make a dishwasher detergent that cleans, doesn't spot or smell weird(we don't use dry heat on dishes)?
Google searching turned up a recipe for bleach and dish-washer detergent, but nothing for Zout

Bleach Recipe:
1 gallon water
2 cups chlorinated lime
3 cups washing soda

Mix in an old plastic bucket. Stir well. Let stand, uncovered, for 24 hours.
Strain into storage containers. Use like any commercial bleach. AVOID CONTACT
WITH SKIN AND FUMES WHEN MIXING.

Dishwasher Detergent Recipe:

• 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt

Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.
Probably a good idea to go to their FAQ page, too because it sounds as if it's a little problematic. Here's that link:
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent-soap-faqs/

JeanneRamick

Female Posts: 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner on 4/10/2012, 1:02 pm

LOL...That dishwashing recipe is what I use. It is not very good though. Even with vinegar it can leave a residue on the dishes.

Worse, it makes me cry or my eyes burn, the acridity is so bad (and heat dry is OFF). On the flip side, it is cleaning the heating coil in the DW. If I don't run the oven's exaust fan, I can't be in the house. I smell it even upstairs.

Ava

AvaDGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 4/10/2012, 3:10 pm

camprn wrote:
CarolinaGirl wrote:Do these soaps work in an HE washer? We had issues once when we accidentally bought non-HE soap.. we had soap suds coming up out of the vent on the back of the washer. We now make sure that we get the HE kind. I wouldn't mind trying homemade detergent, but fear having a repeat of the suds out the back (and onto the wall and down the wall to the floor.. we just put down new flooring and don't want water damage already lol).
I use mine in the HE washer, works just fine, low suds. Very Happy

We have been using homemade laundry soap for several years. It hardly makes any suds at all - I had to work HARD to convince Hubby that the clothes were getting clean. The brown water convinced him!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts: 3067

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum