Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Waiting In Wisconsin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Waiting In Wisconsin

Post  Suzy on 4/12/2011, 11:43 am

Greetings! I have been reading thru some very interesting threads on this forum. Today is my first day! I hope to be able to glean valuable information from all of you as well as contribute my dubious wealth of knowledge with you-all! Smile I have been trying to sell my house for the last 6 gardening seasons, so I haven't had a real garden in years. I learned about intensive gardening in the 70's, it was so much back-breaking work - double digging, mixing the compost in, building the 2'-3' raised beds. When I bought this house 16 year ago, there was an established garden and I just used it. It is now gone, and I am preparing to start from scratch with SFG. I can't wait! I love the thought of using my produce as I harvest it, rather than having a glut of one crop that I have to can or freeze no matter what else I had planned for that day! Rolling Eyes

We just had some nasty storms roll thru over the weekend, lots of rain (5"!) so it will be a while yet before I can get dirty, so to speak. I am envious of those of you who have your gardens in and growing - I live at the southern edge of Zone 4, so I am still waiting. Wink Thanks in advance for all your help! God's best blessings for all of you who read this!

Suzy

Female Posts : 46

View user profile http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Waiting In Wisconsin

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/12/2011, 12:32 pm

Suzy

Nice to have you join us. SFG is so much easier to plant, nurture and harvest. Once you have your beds built and the Mel's Mix filled in (with no double digging) the rest is easy.

Sorry about that heavy rain, we go thru that here too. Again, once your Mel's Mix is in, that heavy rain will not be near the problem you have growing in the ground. Mel's mix will drain that excess water away.

Have you determined your last frost date and planned when you can start seeds indoors or plant seeds and transplants outside? Try this link if you need the last frost dates for Spring, and the first frost dates for Fall.FROST DATES

Keep us posted on your progress and please, share pictures! Enjoy!

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/12/2011, 5:14 pm

Welcome aboard, Suzy! So glad you found us. We can't wait to learn from your more traditional methods and how they compare with SFG. Hopefully, you fall in love with this method as we have.

Personally, I have found the workload severely cut back. I mostly just sit and watch things grow now. And, my spring set up will be a breeze if I'm not building new beds......forever!

Stop into the regional subforum and grab some localized information. Hopefully, if you have a question, someone else will be having the same issue at the same time. And, when your garden gets up and running, please share pictures with us. They really are worth 1000 words here. (Bragging about your accomplishements is encouraged here.)

Hope to see you get active, and I look forward to your contributions.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 4/16/2011, 1:37 am

flower welcome Susy,
Glad you found the forum. It is a wealth of info but if you don't have the book I sugest you get it. Most libraries have a copy too.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener on 4/18/2011, 11:26 am

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here

Good to have you!

You are definitely going to find SFG a lot easier than the old ways of intensive gardening.

Once you get your gardens in and filled with Mel's Mix you'll be simply amazed at how fast and well things grow!

Do you have the All New SFG book? If not, you should seriously consider purchasing it. You'll get more out of that book than you can get anywhere else and it will be straight from the horses mouth so to speak!

Take care and happy gardening!

dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  Suzy on 4/18/2011, 5:57 pm

I appreciate the warm welcome! It is the 18th of April - the day of Paul Revere's ride - and we have a winter storm watch out for the next two days. Mad I'm still hunting for my vermiculite, have found peat moss in abundance and several sources for compost, including a friend's 2008 horse manure pile. Wink My daughter is visiting from Hawaii and was planning to help me get things going here. (Read: I have extra money, Mom, I'll buy the stuff you need.) As she is heading home next Tuesday, I'll probably have to do the work myself. (Still on her dime, lol!) Ah, well. I love Wisconsin. And it happens every year. April shows up and gives us a few days in the 60's and we get all excited because spring has finally arrived - and then we get that last blast of winter. But I have it on good authority that spring WILL arrive and I may be able to begin planting by Mother's Day. Meanwhile, my rhubarb has begun to grow and I MUST clean out the asparagus bed before those delightful little head start poking out of the ground. So I have a few things to do while I wait.....

PS - I did buy the book - several weeks ago. Very glad I did!

Last edited by Suzy on 4/18/2011, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add the PS)

Suzy

Female Posts : 46

View user profile http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum