Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

by Kelejan Today at 9:44 am

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by CapeCoddess Today at 7:51 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CARROT WEEK HAS BEGUN!!!!

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CARROT WEEK HAS BEGUN!!!!

Post  walshevak on 4/14/2011, 12:24 am

I cheated and didn't plant a whole square. Instead I planted "on the grid" where my peppers are gonna go early next week.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/14/2011, 1:05 am

Well my plan was to mix pure Mel's Mix and put it in a bucket and plant my carrots. However, my compost is still a great frozen mound in the bins so I am not able to use it to make any mix. So I thought I would buy some compost and make my mix. That plan has been foiled too, because the garden centers don't have much stuff out yet as it is still not really gardening season here. So far I have found two kinds of compost....steer manure and cattle manure and that is it for the time being. Most places will be getting more but don't have it yet.

So.......I have vermiculite and I have peat moss. I could cheat and just get some potting soil although I had really wanted to do pure MM for this.

Just thinking......and phoning around the past few days.....without much luck. Really understand what a lot of you face.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener on 4/14/2011, 1:12 am

@Old Hippie wrote:Well my plan was to mix pure Mel's Mix and put it in a bucket and plant my carrots. However, my compost is still a great frozen mound in the bins so I am not able to use it to make any mix. So I thought I would buy some compost and make my mix. That plan has been foiled too, because the garden centers don't have much stuff out yet as it is still not really gardening season here. So far I have found two kinds of compost....steer manure and cattle manure and that is it for the time being. Most places will be getting more but don't have it yet.

So.......I have vermiculite and I have peat moss. I could cheat and just get some potting soil although I had really wanted to do pure MM for this.

Just thinking......and phoning around the past few days.....without much luck. Really understand what a lot of you face.

Gwynn

Perhaps you could use an icepick to chip out some compost then let it thaw out? Sound kinda crazy, but it just might work. LOL

dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/14/2011, 1:17 am

I could always chip some stuff off the pile and thaw it in the microwave! LOL!

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CARROT WEEK HAS BEGUN

Post  graficow on 4/14/2011, 7:10 am

Well, IM PLANTED. Its hot here
but Im sure we will do just fine.

Ive never grown carrots so this
will be a very exciting experiment
for me. Very Happy

graficow

Female Posts : 76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden on 4/14/2011, 7:25 am

I've planted mine Very Happy

It is 4°C (39°F) at the moment. The forecast is for around 2°C (36°F) through til Tuesday next week so not much point waiting for it to improve! And on the plus side it isn't actually raining/snowing right now, though it is pretty windy.

Last year I sowed my carrots on April 29th, and even that was early, so I reckon that if this lot don't show I can resow in the first half of May and still get a crop.

I sowed Early Nantes 5 in two squares. One square is in a 12" deep box, under agricultural fleece, and the other square is in a 6" box which at the moment has a cold frame over it so it should be a bit warmer in there. I can lift the frame off later when it gets warmer.

I'm aiming for 25 carrots per square because I use string for the grid and 16 carrots looked too few last year. I thought I should put three seeds at each station since germination may be poorer than normal - in practice my fingers were so cold and the wind so strong (the tears in my eyes did not help either) that the spacing was very erratic!

But, it is done bounce bounce bounce bounce and I bet I'll get a brilliant crop of carrots!

Icemaiden

View user profile http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener on 4/14/2011, 8:52 am

@Old Hippie wrote:I could always chip some stuff off the pile and thaw it in the microwave! LOL!

Gwynn

LOL!

That's just crazy enough to work! But, hey, I'm a little nuts sometimes. Razz

dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 4/14/2011, 10:20 am

Last night I planted 1 square - 16 holes - 2 seeds per hole. Livingston Seed Co. Nantes. They are right next to the garlic and I'm worried they won't get enough sun. I thought the garlic would be done by now. Hmmm...

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patch on 4/14/2011, 3:30 pm

Got my seeds in this am. Used half the tub and put in 24 sets of two. It was so windy I hope I got some in each hole. Now I'm going to cross my fingers and hope I don't kill them. Embarassed

Patch

Male Posts : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/14/2011, 6:17 pm

LOOK OUT BELOW!!!

I got mine in today since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I double checked to make sure Little Fingers is a Nantes variety. My kids LOVE those baby carrots. So, I won't likely compete with Josh or Boffer....lol.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melbourne on 4/14/2011, 7:34 pm

Was a bit rushed this evening, planted two squares with carrots (Nantes & Nelson F1). Here they are Smile

Melbourne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/14/2011, 7:52 pm

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:LOOK OUT BELOW!!! I got mine in today since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I double checked to make sure Little Fingers is a Nantes variety. My kids LOVE those baby carrots. So, I won't likely compete with Josh or Boffer....lol.

Here's the back story. Last year Josh grew the biggest variety of carrots he could find; they're called 2x4s. At harvest time, he had a little contest to guess the length of the longest carrot. I decided to play small ball, and I won. The 'prize' was a package of the 2x4 carrot seeds. He sent them to me, and then I challenged him to a grow off this year: who can grow the longest carrot.

About a month ago, we PM'd and set up the rules. The little stinker told me that he had gotten on Satellite Google to see if he could see into my backyard to see what kind of contraption I was using to grow my carrots! What he didn't know was that my residence is different than my mailing address!

You have to understand: He's a certified SFG teacher. He's a Junior Master Gardener. He's been gardening longer than I have. I have figured from the very beginning that I was going to need some treachery and trickery to beat him. I'm just disappointed with myself for not thinking of the satellite idea myself! rofl rofl

What we're doing is really not part of Carrot Week. But middlemamma is right, it should get interesting as the details slip out about how I'm gonna stick his carrots down the garbage disposal!

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

CARROT WEEK HAS BEGUN!

Post  sherryeo on 4/14/2011, 9:08 pm

Well, ok, guys, I'm in! You all just seemed to be having too much fun during carrot week. I had to join in. I planted a square with 16 Sweet Treat Hybrid carrot seeds today. The store I was at didn't really have a whole lot to choose from, carrot wise, so I just picked one. I didn't "get the memo" about the Nantes carrots - seems as though everyone's planting Nantes.

I'm not at all convinced that anything will come of my carrot planting efforts because it has been really warm many days here already. I'm not complaining - I'm just saying. But - it's only seeds - see, I think "hanging out" with all of you is making me take a more relaxed view to my gardening. If they make, fine, if they don't - it's only one square and I'll have plenty of seeds left to try again when cooler weather comes!

I also didn't make an extra deep square for them - but they're only supposed to get about 5" tall, so maybe they'll be ok. It will be interesting to see what happens!

sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/14/2011, 9:16 pm

Sherry Owens wrote: ...I'm just saying. But - it's only seeds - see, I think "hanging out" with all of you is making me take a more relaxed view to my gardening. If they make, fine, if they don't - it's only one square and I'll have plenty of seeds left to try again when cooler weather comes!

good job! happy dance good job! happy dance

boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom on 4/14/2011, 9:45 pm

Carrots are up. Can't wait they were so good last year. This planter is 12 inches deep and 1x3. It sits on the front porch and is thus protected from the cold winds by the house.

extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/14/2011, 9:51 pm

HOLEY MOLEY!! When did you plant yours???

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  genes on 4/14/2011, 9:56 pm

@boffer wrote:You have to understand: He's a certified SFG teacher. He's a Junior Master Gardener. He's been gardening longer than I have. I have figured from the very beginning that I was going to need some treachery and trickery to beat him. I'm just disappointed with myself for not thinking of the satellite idea myself!
Youe go bluehair!

genes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom on 4/14/2011, 10:13 pm

@Old Hippie wrote:HOLEY MOLEY!! When did you plant yours???

Gwynn
The end of March we had some great weather. Knowing that carrots are cool weather plants I got them into the ground right before a freak snow storm. They are on the east side of th house which protects them from the harsh north west winds. In the past we had two problems. The ground is too hard and the ants would eat them. I tried them in the box for the first time last year and they turned out wonderful.

extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mcduff on 4/14/2011, 10:22 pm

Mine are planted! One square of Nantes Half Long started today.

mcduff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/14/2011, 10:33 pm

Hey Boff, I knew it wasn't an "open" competition so to speak. I knew it was something between you two.....but, I couldn't resist the comment when I will likely maxx out at 3-4 inches.

But, if I can offer a couple suggestions....

1- Make sure Josh didn't just reseal the package and mail YOU Little Fingers. Because THAT would be awesome!!

2- Maybe you mail him some "secret carrot fertilizer" as sabotage?

If you guys did some silly stuff to try and pull one over on the other, it would be worth reporting. I hope you guys do play some tricks on each other.

Josh may have the experience or smarts, but you should have the wisdom. And, I know you have the wit. Have fun with it, guys. We'll all be watching.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/14/2011, 10:49 pm

You know what, BBG? Josh has some of the grandma types on the forum fooled with his aw shucks, I'm cute, watcha gonna do good looks.

I'm not fooled.

I did give the seed package he sent to an acquaintance stationed at the Tacoma, WA FBI extension office, to be examined for tampering. His report said that there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I've sent nothing his way but good wishes. May the best man win.

boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean on 4/14/2011, 10:58 pm

Hurrah! My carrots are planted since no rain today!

Boffer, you are just too funny!

Keep the laughs coming..... lol!

Dunkinjean

Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 674

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 4/15/2011, 1:54 am

Bofer I found this on the link you posted.
""Take eight to 10 good-sized carrots and cut off the top, leaving about half an inch of carrot attached to the top. Be sure to cut any green sprouts coming from the tops. Then place four or five carrot tops in two dishes of water. Mark one dish with a 'plus' sign and the other with a 'minus' sign. Place both dishes on a sunny window sill.

Love (+)

Several times a day pick up one dish, tell the carrots how beautiful they are and encourage them to grow.

Hate (-)

Do the opposite with the others: curse them, hate them and think negative thoughts toward them.

Collins says "Ninety-nine percent of the time, the 'plus' carrots will sprout and flourish while the minus' ones will wither and die."

This simple carrot experiment offers proof, says Collins, of living power of the human Mind."

Is this how you are going to grow the longest carrot? Mind control.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/15/2011, 1:59 am

Bless your heart, Shannon, I'll have a few days head start on Josh, every little bit helps.

Unless of course someone emails him....

boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 on 4/15/2011, 8:29 am

Carrots are up. Can't wait they were so good last year. This planter is
12 inches deep and 1x3. It sits on the front porch and is thus protected
from the cold winds by the house

CHEATER CHEATER....... NOW I"M GONNA EAT YA ! Wink

staf74