Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by llama momma Today at 6:18 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by llama momma Today at 5:28 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 5:18 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Love the Forum! Would Letting Them Hang Work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Love the Forum! Would Letting Them Hang Work?

Post  swripley on 3/22/2010, 4:31 pm

Hello all,

I purchased my copy of the All New SFG on Saturday morning, finished reading it by Sunday afternoon and am now making my plans. I am a refugee of long row gardening as a child and haven’t wanted to plant vegetables since. However, I love to garden and have extensive flower beds (80 rose bushes alone – wish I had known about SFG before I put those in!). I am also an avid cook/baker/all around DIYer. Two springs ago I got the wild idea to build a wood burning pizza oven and outdoor kitchen. After some research I found a set of free plans online and a forum just like this. Was one of the best, most rewarding experiences of my life and I couldn’t have done it without the forum. Imagine how excited I was this morning when I logged into the SFQ website and found all of you!

Not sure if I am finally growing up or just ready to forgive my father for all of those bad childhood gardening memories, but this winter I started to think it might be time to plant some veggies. I have a fairly extensive herb garden in amongst the flowers and last summer managed to have a tomato plant or two in containers on the back deck. I’m leaning toward a strip of land next to my driveway with good southern exposure (front yard – the kitchen and the two Bernese Mountain dogs we share our home with pretty much have the back yard spoken for). Ran the idea past my neighbor and he seems open to the idea – less grass for him to mow (not sure why, but since the day he moved in he has always mowed that section of our yard.) I have recruited my husband for assistance with the manual labor (after the summer we mixed and poured by hand 3 tons of concrete for the kitchen he thinks this sounds easy.)

Working this out on graph paper, I think I might be a bit limited on how much I will be able to take vertical – the peas and tomatoes are likely going to win out over squash. And then I saw the fence boxes on the website. It got me to thinking. I already have some long, narrow coconut mat lined baskets hanging on my back yard fence that I have always put cascading flower varieties in and I was wonder if they might work for other vining plants – like squash or cucumbers. I was even thinking flowers and veggies together would be fun. They are a good five feet off the ground and are already installed. If plants make their stems stronger for climbing up a support will they make their stems stronger for handing straight down? Anyone ever try this? I could use garden twine and tacks to connect to the fence for added support if necessary but given the set up of my back yard it is fairly wind proof already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I will plan to post photos as I continue with the odyssey.

Sharon, Montana

Last edited by swripley on 3/22/2010, 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

swripley

Female Posts : 62

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love the Forum! Would Letting Them Hang Work?

Post  boffer on 3/22/2010, 4:59 pm

Wow, thanks for the great intro post, we appreciate it. Yes, stuff does well hanging down too. This is the only pic I could find at the moment. You can see in the front table, I have a lemon cuke hanging down. I've 'grown down' cukes, zukes, and tomatoes with good success.

We'd like to see your pictures when you get things set up....

Welcome aboard

Last edited by boffer on 3/22/2010, 6:08 pm; edited 9 times in total

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto on 3/22/2010, 5:09 pm

That sounds like a great idea, I might have to try that one. Boffer, I can't see your pic you are referring to

lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

View user profile http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley on 3/22/2010, 5:39 pm

Thanks Boffer - I can't see the photo either. Getting a red X and won't let click on to show. Would love to see it if fixable.

S

swripley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 3/22/2010, 5:56 pm

It showed up in the edit post window. Let me have a looksie.

boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 3/22/2010, 6:08 pm

got it

boffer

Back to top Go down

Vinyl Fencing Advice

Post  swripley on 3/22/2010, 8:34 pm

Got it now! Thanks, that is pretty much what I had envisioned.
Just got back from HD to take a look at vinyl fencing. It will cost a bit more but last forever and will make my neighbor happy as it will be very visible from his front porch. Seems pretty doable. Anyone out there use vinyl fencing before and have a cautionary tale?

S

Last edited by swripley on 3/22/2010, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more accurate subject title)

swripley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 3/23/2010, 11:34 am

@swripley wrote:Got it now! Thanks, that is pretty much what I had envisioned.
Just got back from HD to take a look at vinyl fencing. It will cost a bit more but last forever and will make my neighbor happy as it will be very visible from his front porch. Seems pretty doable. Anyone out there use vinyl fencing before and have a cautionary tale?

S

Hi: Vinyl fencing will make a wonderful SFG and look great as well. Short corner posts with caps can be installed to add a nice touch. On the opening pages you can see Mel with his SFG. Looks good - lasts a long time.

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley on 3/24/2010, 11:01 am

Thanks Ward! The picture you are refering to is the same one I was basing my design on. After posting this question I realized my rookie forum mistake of a new question under an old subject heading so reasked the question in General SFG Talk. I received a reply about anchoring the posts. From what I have read in the book and surmised from photos it doesn't look like the boxes are anchored, just sat untop of weed block and filled with Mel's mix. Am I missing something? Is anchoring necessary?

I found 16' vinyl railing locally and think the quality is good because they are heavier than I expected, hollow of coarse but with thick walls, not flimsy at all. I was thinking of using 4x4 posts with caps. The vinyl connectors would get a bit pricey so I was planning on screwing wood cleats to the posts and attaching to them through the sides of the railing, the wood unseen inside of the railing which is hollow. I figure this will save me $20 per box. Or I could use angle iron on the corners. Haven't decided yet.

swripley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 3/24/2010, 11:34 am

Hi swriple,

You're correct, boxes don't have to be anchored, although from some of the posts I've been reading from members in Texas, they're thinking about it!

I'm not sure which post reply you're referring to, but I recall Choksaw suggesting that fence posts should be set in concrete in the Florida sand.

boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley on 3/24/2010, 11:59 am

Yes, I was refering to Choksaw's post. Sand not an issue in Montana Wink I got to thinking however that is you used the 4x4 vinyl posts for the corners you could bound rebar several feet into the ground inside the post and secure to the side with brackets. Just doesn't seem necessary in my situation however.

swripley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 3/24/2010, 5:07 pm

SW:

I learned early on that my SFG that is not protected by a path of non-grass that it is easy for an in-attentive tractor driver to bump the garden with the mover deck. I don't know what would be worse, moving the garden a few inches with a bump or breaking a side of the bed if it were anchored down. humm...

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley on 3/24/2010, 5:43 pm

Point taken Ward! Thought...if I use the 4x4 vinyl posts (hollow) I could drive a length of rebar down inside the post. If necessary, I could connect with a bracket but I think just having the rebar up against the inside of the post would stabilize it. Cheap, effect, and out of sight. What do you think?

swripley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 3/24/2010, 5:54 pm

Howdy:

Sounds like a good plan to me.

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum