Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson Today at 9:55 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 9:53 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson Today at 9:50 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Today at 9:37 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:06 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:04 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 8:37 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma Today at 4:04 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:10 pm

» mulching
by dstack Today at 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Today at 6:05 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  unmadecastle on 4/18/2011, 5:34 pm

Hi! I have been reading things here for the past week or so. I just gor my BOOK today and can't wait to start reading it. I am getting ready to set up my 2 square foot gardens. They are going to be 6x3 ft. The only thing is I am having trouble finding my 5 composts and course vermiculite.

I was wondering if any one else is from NE South Dakota and if so where you found your composts and vermiculite.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

unmadecastle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-04-09
Age : 47
Location : North East South Dakota, Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/18/2011, 5:39 pm

Hey there and welcome aboard!! I sure hope someone jumps in soon from close to you.

I can tell you that Goosegirl is from SD, but I don't know how close she is to you. Either way, you ought to have some things to talk about that she can answer well.

Don't be shy about sharing pics once you get things set up. And, remember that no question should go unasked. This is such a friendly place with such friendly people. Glad to have you join us.

Once you get settled in, feel free to get involved with some discussions about this or that. There is always the Outside the Box area for all the random stuff we like to talk about, too.

Hope to see more of you around here. Happy Gardening!

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727
Join date : 2010-12-25
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis, MO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  Goosegirl on 4/19/2011, 8:52 am

@unmadecastle wrote:Hi! I have been reading things here for the past week or so. I just gor my BOOK today and can't wait to start reading it. I am getting ready to set up my 2 square foot gardens. They are going to be 6x3 ft. The only thing is I am having trouble finding my 5 composts and course vermiculite.

I was wondering if any one else is from NE South Dakota and if so where you found your composts and vermiculite.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm in NE SD. I got some of my vermiculite at the Watertown Menard's - look in the insulation section. They had 3 cu/ft bags for $14.99. As for the compost, I have friends that have ranches so I have been able to line up poo from cattle, horses, chickens, ducks, and possibly turkeys and guineas (I may even be able to round up some rabbit!). Between all those, I should be able to get a decent blend! There are some elk ranches in the area but I haven't contacted any of them to see if they would be willing to part with a few bucketsful. There are also ranches that have sheep, goats, and a few llamas thrown in. If you know anyone at all that has a few veggie-eating animals, ask if you can bring some buckets! We are surrounded by farms and ranches in this area - ask around and you may not have to pay a penny for compost! Just make sure to ask them for the oldest stuff they have!

TC

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  unmadecastle on 4/19/2011, 5:41 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@unmadecastle wrote:Hi! I have been reading things here for the past week or so. I just gor my BOOK today and can't wait to start reading it. I am getting ready to set up my 2 square foot gardens. They are going to be 6x3 ft. The only thing is I am having trouble finding my 5 composts and course vermiculite.

I was wondering if any one else is from NE South Dakota and if so where you found your composts and vermiculite.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm in NE SD. I got some of my vermiculite at the Watertown Menard's - look in the insulation section. They had 3 cu/ft bags for $14.99. As for the compost, I have friends that have ranches so I have been able to line up poo from cattle, horses, chickens, ducks, and possibly turkeys and guineas (I may even be able to round up some rabbit!). Between all those, I should be able to get a decent blend! There are some elk ranches in the area but I haven't contacted any of them to see if they would be willing to part with a few bucketsful. There are also ranches that have sheep, goats, and a few llamas thrown in. If you know anyone at all that has a few veggie-eating animals, ask if you can bring some buckets! We are surrounded by farms and ranches in this area - ask around and you may not have to pay a penny for compost! Just make sure to ask them for the oldest stuff they have!

TC


Thanks for the response. I am going through Watertown this Friday so I will stop at Menards then. I called a friend and she can get me 3 of the 5 composts- sheep, cow and horse. Now off to look for the other 2. Now if it would just stop snowing I would be happy!

Thanks again,

Ann

unmadecastle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-04-09
Age : 47
Location : North East South Dakota, Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  Goosegirl on 4/19/2011, 6:28 pm

@unmadecastle wrote:

Thanks for the response. I am going through Watertown this Friday so I will stop at Menards then. I called a friend and she can get me 3 of the 5 composts- sheep, cow and horse. Now off to look for the other 2. Now if it would just stop snowing I would be happy!

Thanks again,

Ann

I KNOW!!! It is just starting to sprinkle up here in Sisseton, to be followed by a possible few inches of snow tonight. I know it is only April, but my strawberries and potatoes came in the mail today and I want to DIG!

TC

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  Goosegirl on 4/26/2011, 4:43 am

Hey Castle! Did you get your vermiculite? We had enough of a break in the weather here that I got half my boxes filled and my potatoes and salad stuff planted. Hopefully the rain will keep them watered for me for a few days. I hope to get my strawberries in this weekend, but that is always 'weather permitting'.....

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/26/2011, 12:41 pm

Unmadecastle

So glad you joined us.

Hope your weather is breaking and you are able to start a few cold weather plants.

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141
Join date : 2010-06-10
Age : 69
Location : Coastal Oregon, Zone 9a, Heat Zone 2 :(

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  unmadecastle on 4/26/2011, 9:57 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:Hey Castle! Did you get your vermiculite? We had enough of a break in the weather here that I got half my boxes filled and my potatoes and salad stuff planted. Hopefully the rain will keep them watered for me for a few days. I hope to get my strawberries in this weekend, but that is always 'weather permitting'.....

Hey! I did get my vermiculite and got my 2 beds put together. Just waiting on 3 of my composts to get here so I (OK my husband) Very Happy can mix it all up for me.

Now if every one would just repeat after me: RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!!!!! Mad

unmadecastle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-04-09
Age : 47
Location : North East South Dakota, Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  scmelik on 4/26/2011, 10:02 pm

NE SD here as well. I have no clue what I am doing but I am trying really hard and up to this point failing miserably.

scmelik

Posts : 137
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Brookings South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  unmadecastle on 4/26/2011, 10:15 pm

I don't really what I am doing either! SFG is all new to me. I am so ready to start planting but it is still a little early here. I was in Sioux Falls last Friday and went to Lowes and Home Depot. They had their flowers and veggies out. I wanted to buy my stuff so bad but up here they would not make it yet.

unmadecastle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-04-09
Age : 47
Location : North East South Dakota, Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  dreamingoutloud on 4/26/2011, 11:38 pm

HI,

I am from north central South Dakota. We are in North Dakota now. This will be my first year at SFG too!!

dreamingoutloud

Female Posts : 23
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 44
Location : North Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:55 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum