Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

'Emergency Seeds' at Costco

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 'Emergency Seeds' at Costco

Post  FarmerValerie on 4/23/2011, 8:26 am

Shannon, I just read that Hurricane Season starts June 1 this year, I thought it always started in September, have I had my head stuck in the sand?

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 on 4/23/2011, 8:29 am

LOL shannon......have not tried it yet but the locals do tell me its a southern delicacy in some parts.

Sort of "dittoing" what the others have said. There's no offense taken and none was meant either, certainly not on my part. Living through any disaster that wipes out everything is clearly devastating both emotionally and financially. With that said, I think the point still remains that just because you can't prepare for everything that its not worth preparing for something. You just do what you can. Perhaps its the little boy scout in me, making me sleep a little easier knowing I'm "prepared"....however futile and unattainable that concept truly is. If a disaster does strike, the ability of the good men and women who serve in emergency situations is quickly overwhelmed and I just feel worried that putting my eggs in their basket will end up in my eggs getting crushed.

In the end, I probably have to admit that I'm one of those victims of fear. I'm the "sucker" some people have posted about here. I did purchase a hermetically sealed survival seed bank with 10,000 heirloom seeds for $35 that needs a can opener to open I don't mind that label. I'm a slightly paranoid type, I don't trust easily and I'm skeptical about most stuff. My wife and I went to Charleston for a beautiful getaway and as we get to the beach, my wife is looking for a good place to put the towels and I'm looking for the highest most sturdiest hotel with a flat roof to run to in the event of a tsunami.....honest to goodness !!! But this took me merely a few minutes. I don't worry about it all the time because you can't live like that of course. But my mind won't rest until it has a plan, then I'm golden and all set to "burn baby burn....disco inferno" on that beach.

Is that weird? perhaps....but that's just me....in the natural world, fear sharpens your sense. Fear keeps you alert and ALIVE. Fight or flight is inherent to our make-up and I see no point in denying its existence. I don't live in fear but I certainly need it to survive......

God bless to all those posting here.....these are truly deep and personal experiences being shared and I respect all for their viewpoints. Each to their own Very Happy

staf74

Male Posts : 554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 4/23/2011, 8:46 am

Staf, you are not alone in the "surveying your surroundings", it very well could be Boy Scout training, I was a Girl Scout, and I got the same lessons, but then too it was already in me to do that. I think it is a great instinct to have.

Thank you for sharing you bought the seeds, I wish we could all get on web cams and watch you open them to see what all you got. My husband and I probably would have bought one, if we were not already buying and saving seeds. I lilke the idea of having them in a container where they cannot get wet too, but then that's what the glass jar in the fridge is for, if I can ever remember to put them in the jar.

This has been an interesting turn of talk. One of the best yet.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M on 4/23/2011, 12:18 pm

We bought a similar "bank", because we lived in an apartment and had very little space to grow anything. However, we had friends an hour away who had land. We had lots of stored canned goods (stuffed under all the beds, and anywhere else I could put it). So we figured that if worse came to worst, we could plant our seeds at our friends' property and live off of our stores (which continued to grow more and more capable of sustaining all of us) while waiting for the crops to start coming in. Meanwhile, the way they are packaged would allow them to last for years, so they would be there if we needed them.

And we have lived off of our stores (and pooled with neighbors for variety) before, after a bad hurricane. We took a lot of our stores with us when we evacuated, both times (Ivan and Dennis). Not that everybody can do that, we just were able to. And we returned to an intact apartment, unlike many whose homes were just completely gone, along with any stores and gardens they had.

We got the "Garden in a Can" from Everlasting Seeds. (And there are many ways of opening it -- even with a stout knife or one of the several military can openers we have.) It has 79 different kinds of open-pollinated vegetables, grains, and herbs, with at least 60 seeds of each (much better than the others I looked at). The variety is the best I saw around (one collection I saw somewhere of around 20 had 8 tomatoes and 5 peppers -- great, if all you want to live on is salsa).

They also sell collections of herbs, medicinal plants, field crops, another vegetable "garden basics" collection (fewer varieties, more seeds of each), and (sometimes) a gourmet collection. They seem way more practical than any of the other sites.

One thing I liked about their site was the fact that it wasn't trying to scare you into buying. While they mention ONCE possible coming food and seed shortages (at the bottom of a list), their thrust is trying to move people away from depending on giant corporations for food, especially since the advent of GMO crops and patented crops that often produce sterile seeds. Their focus is on preserving the availability and use of open-pollinated seeds, and encouraging people to grow their own food. Self-sufficiency.

While I may have been able to collect some things (like the herbs) for less, I could not have collected the Garden in a Can for less (I did not know about seed exchanges). And even the others, I would have then had to package the seeds for storage.

Other sites I visited basically said, "BUY THIS NOW BEFORE THE END OF THE WORLD!!!"

I'm not trying to push anybody to buy one of their collections, just trying to defend this one company, who does seem, at least to me, to have their heads in the right place. Like Staf, maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm a sucker with a wide variety of open-pollinated seeds, who is (now that I have the space) rapidly learning how to use them (but I haven't opened the can yet - I bought more seeds that aren't packed for long-term storage).

I started writing this last night (I finally just had to go to bed), and thought I'd be the only one who posted that they'd bought one of these banks, but I was relieved to see this morning that Staf had bought one, too! What a Face

Oh -- and my husband is always surveying his surroundings, too. I'm grateful for that. He thinks of things I don't, and it makes me feel safe. Cool

Miss M

View user profile http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M on 4/24/2011, 2:51 am

@FarmerValerie wrote:Shannon, I just read that Hurricane Season starts June 1 this year, I thought it always started in September, have I had my head stuck in the sand?
I hate to tell you, but you have sand in your hair. Laughing

Hurricane season is June 1 through Nov 30. Over 97% of tropical weather is supposed to fall between those dates. It has begun on June 1 for a long time, but the end date has shifted over time. It used to end at the end of October, then it was moved to the middle of November, then to the end of November.

I know that has nothing to do with seed banks, but... What a Face

Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 4/24/2011, 3:09 am

Don't feel too bad FV I have lived in the hurricaine hot zone for 22yrs and thought it started May1st.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:Emergency Seeds at Costco

Post  tabletopper on 4/24/2011, 5:11 am

My family and I were in the 1933 earthquake at 6pm in Long Beach Ca...thank goodness it wasnt during school hours...the death total would have been much higher...my school was made of brick and was totaled..(before building codes)
My Dad had a kerosene cookstove and it was used to cook for neighbors and us at curbside for several weeks of aftershocks....Calif is on the "Ring of Fire"...and I check on the website for our area....and its surprising how many lil shocks we have daily in the Borrego area and Mexicali.......
Southern Calif has become a water shortage area....(rainfall has been short for years..good thing this year was better)....Heard thru the grapevine that Costco had 55 gal water storage barrels and when I went to buy one....they had a run on them and dont know when they would get anymore...as they never stocked them before....my daughter checked their website yesterday and said they stock them under shelfessentials"....with other food storage........So I feel its better to "be prepared and hopefully nothing will happen"......Drinking Water is #1....
Ruth....

tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 4/24/2011, 8:33 am

WOW, Ruth, what a rare gem you are. I would love to sit and listen to your life experiences.

Miss M, thanks for the update, I've been down here in NE TX for 27 years this May, and I'm still not used to the weather and it's strange patterns.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/24/2011, 10:43 am

Oh Ruth, you have to post more often. I bet you have tons of stuff you could tell us!

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 4/24/2011, 10:50 am

How cool to hear about that, Ruth! My maternal grandfather was a 5 year old living in Long Beach in 1933. My maternal grandmother was a one year old living on Catalina Island.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rose on 4/25/2011, 1:36 pm

"It would seem that this companies goal is to control the seed market, uh
I thought Monopolies were illegal-remember Ma Bell (yes, I'm that
old)???"

I think you're on to something about that company.
Seems to me only megacorporations and politicians would think this was a good idea.

And yes, I do remember Ma Bell. Had a relative who worked for "Ma" for 50 years. And I do recall something about the undesirability of monopolies, too.

rose

Female Posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M on 4/27/2011, 5:59 pm

I agree... I don't take too kindly to companies making patented seeds, patented plants, etc. I find that very disturbing. Evil or Very Mad

Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:06 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum