Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by CapeCoddess Today at 7:56 am

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by CapeCoddess Today at 7:51 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

And yet another introduction! From Woodstock, Georgia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

And yet another introduction! From Woodstock, Georgia

Post  Uprooted on 4/22/2011, 11:38 pm

Hi folks, I'm in the Atlanta area and the way I came across this forum was by googling sources for vermiculite, which led me to the database, which led me to join the forum, so here I am! Glad to see all of you here and read some of your stories!

I live in a neighborhood governed by the HOA and the backyard has no sun so I have put in a few veggies here and there over the years in the front yard on a part of the bed that's pretty much hidden from the road. This is the first year I'm trying SFG, but my mother did it years ago on Long Island when the first book first came out. She had a raised box on the patio and more squares out in the back of the yard. She loved it.

I'm not a handy person and I don't even know how to use a drill, but I went and bought my untreated boards and screws and strips of wood for the grids and enlisted a teenage kid I know to help me put it together. The place I thought I had leveled off for the bed turns out not to be so level so I'm going to have to work that out, but I went and bought the main ingredients for the Mel's mix today (I need another bag or two of compost since I don't have my own made) and hope to have my one little 4x4 SFG all ready and planted by tomorrow evening.

I'm excited!! I wish I could make the trellis and use that too, but I don't think the HOA would go for that and I don't think I can figure out a way to hide it from the neighbors in the front yard. So it will just be the medium to small veggies in there this time around.

Look forward to interacting with you all.

Kristina

Uprooted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: And yet another introduction! From Woodstock, Georgia

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/23/2011, 1:30 am

Kirstina

Very glad to have you join us. This is a really great group of people and there is always someone who will try to help you if needed.

We have several members in the Atlanta area. We also have several members who have had to outsmart the HOA Police.

Don't forget, Mel says to add flowers to your SFG, and this will help convince anyone who questions your plan, that you are beautifying the front yard. Lettuces come in such a wide variety of leaf types and colors that they will look good too (until the heat hits, then extra watering and maybe a bit of shade will help keep them from bolting).

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. Enjoy yourself and keep us posted on your progress. And we I love you pictures.

Again, Welcome.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 4/23/2011, 4:37 am

Kristina it is exciting I know so gald you joined us. Love the SFG way. They love photos here I have not posted any yet but look forward to seeing yours. A row of french marigolds might help to keep the HOA off your back plus they are said to help keep the pests away.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener on 4/23/2011, 8:28 am

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here

Glad to have Ya!

Do you have the All New SFG Book? It is quite a bit different from the old way, and a lot easier, too.

Definitely put some flowers in your SFG. It will make the box pretty while also helping to keep the HOA folk at bay. ( Note to self: try to buy a home where I don't have HOA deal withthe HOA)

Please make yourself at home and ask any questions you might have about your new sfg. We love to help where we can. We'd love to see pics of your sfg when you have time to post them..

Also, please stop by the regional forums. Atl is inthe middle south but on the border with lower south. You'll find lots of good info there.

Take care and happy Gardening!

dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uprooted on 4/23/2011, 9:04 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I do have the new SFG book, I love it, and am trying to follow the methods outlined in it. My bed is mostly hidden from the street but maybe I'll put a couple of squares of flowers where they are most visible. I've actually grown tomatoes back there in the past and the tops of the cages have been visible but so far the HOA hasn't complained. If I tried to put up a trellis which would be a few feet taller and not the most attractive thing I'm pretty sure that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If I really get this done this weekend I'll post a pic but it won't be much to look at -- mainly just a box w/ a grid and a few plants but mostly planted with seeds. I want to be out there now but I'm at my computer because I'm supposed to be working (shhhh).

Uprooted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 4/23/2011, 9:14 am

I wonder if you also put some morning glories or sweet peas on your trelis, if anyone would actually pay attention. I know some HOA's would (HOA BAD, country life GOOD) but maybe your could get away with it. Don't mind my comments about the HOA, I know some are good, and most serve a purpose (keeping people like me out, yes we have a burn pile and a scrap pile, but that scrap plile has feed our family when the price of metal goes up). Keep us updated on your SFG and share pictures when you can.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pelujilla on 4/23/2011, 9:33 am

kristina WELCOME!!!

I am dying to see pictures of how you "hide" your sfg, as I have the same issues....because of how my house fits on the lot a fence would be of no use as it would be too close to the house in the area that gets sun...ugh....

@Uprooted wrote:Hi folks, I'm in the Atlanta area and the way I came across this forum was by googling sources for vermiculite, which led me to the database, which led me to join the forum, so here I am! Glad to see all of you here and read some of your stories!

I live in a neighborhood governed by the HOA and the backyard has no sun so I have put in a few veggies here and there over the years in the front yard on a part of the bed that's pretty much hidden from the road. This is the first year I'm trying SFG, but my mother did it years ago on Long Island when the first book first came out. She had a raised box on the patio and more squares out in the back of the yard. She loved it.

I'm not a handy person and I don't even know how to use a drill, but I went and bought my untreated boards and screws and strips of wood for the grids and enlisted a teenage kid I know to help me put it together. The place I thought I had leveled off for the bed turns out not to be so level so I'm going to have to work that out, but I went and bought the main ingredients for the Mel's mix today (I need another bag or two of compost since I don't have my own made) and hope to have my one little 4x4 SFG all ready and planted by tomorrow evening.

I'm excited!! I wish I could make the trellis and use that too, but I don't think the HOA would go for that and I don't think I can figure out a way to hide it from the neighbors in the front yard. So it will just be the medium to small veggies in there this time around.

Look forward to interacting with you all.

Kristina

pelujilla

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uprooted on 4/23/2011, 10:05 am

Thanks again, you sure are friendly helpful folks! Farmer Valerie, I have seen several of your posts already as I've spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on these forums in the past 24 hours, lol, and I appreciate all the links you shared!

pelujilla, my "secret" is in the structure of my lot -- it slopes downhill. So the SFG bed is lower than street level and behind a small weeping Japanese maple tree and some tall iris plants. Sorry, that will probably not translate to your circumstances!

Uprooted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 4/23/2011, 10:11 am

Don't feel bad, if you've seen several of my posts you will know by now I too spend way too much time on here at times.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pelujilla on 4/23/2011, 12:20 pm

pelujilla, my "secret" is in the structure of my lot -- it slopes downhill. So the SFG bed is lower than street level and behind a small weeping Japanese maple tree and some tall iris plants. Sorry, that will probably not translate to your circumstances![/quote]

yeah...no slopes here LOL

pelujilla

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uprooted on 4/24/2011, 12:45 am

I'm not really sure the best place to post this but here is the photo record of the bare bones beginning of my one little 4x4 SFG box! I only got as far as blending the compost, so please don't be expecting much! :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98018475@N00/sets/72157626439097647/

Uprooted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 4/24/2011, 1:58 am

Looks nice to me Uprooted. I like the island planting in the back ground too.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sheslostit on 4/24/2011, 7:55 am

hey there neighbor. I'm just down the road in Kennesaw. I luckily don't have an HOA therefore we have a large trellis and large boxes in front of our house. And we live right off a busy road. Hoping people will be amazed seeing my SFG and ask "what the heck is that". Hope your garden does great. i saw a post here that someone noted that there is a community garden in woodstock. Not sure how close it is to you. Anyways. Hope it goes well. Good luck
(:

sheslostit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/24/2011, 11:14 am

@FarmerValerie wrote: I wonder if you also put some morning glories or sweet peas on your trelis, if anyone would actually pay attention. I know some HOA's would (HOA BAD, country life GOOD) but maybe your could get away with it. Don't mind my comments about the HOA, I know some are good, and most serve a purpose (keeping people like me out, yes we have a burn pile and a scrap pile, but that scrap plile has feed our family when the price of metal goes up). Keep us updated on your SFG and share pictures when you can.

More welcomes for you. I am not in your area. Shucks, I am not even in the same country and some might say not even the same planet. (I work at cultivating that image) I am in Canada over on the west side in central British Columbia.

Like Farmer Val, HOA's and me would not get along well. Both my DH and I like our "stuff" that we need for various projects. LOL! We don't have a burn pile now but we did when we lived out in the country for a year. We try to keep the scrap pile neat and hidden at the end of the garage. LOL! But my DH can build anything....I kid you not. When someone is throwing out scrap metal, old bricks, windows, the list goes on...his eyes light up like stars.

Trellis growing, can be quite lovely, even if it is tomatoes or something else. The trick is to keep them pruned and use a decorative trellis. A few flowers alongside always helps. I love your island planting. I so wish Japanese maples were hardy enough to winter over here.

Thanks for joining us and please keep us posted on your progress.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/24/2011, 12:20 pm

Just put up a trellis for my climbing rose and was thinking HMMMM wonder if a climbing vegetable could be mixed in. Wonder what a HOA would make of that.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/24/2011, 1:03 pm

OHhhhh do it!! (I am such a rebel!) Don't roses and tomatoes play well together? Or what about some pole beans or cucumber? LOL!

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/24/2011, 1:16 pm

I don't need it, no HOA and lots of sunny space to garden, but I think I have a devious twist sometimes. Twisted Evil And I just plain hate that folks have so much trouble trying to grow a simple garden.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/24/2011, 1:25 pm

Oh, we would not be a good combination in an HOA controlled environment. LOL Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/24/2011, 1:30 pm

Speaking of HOA's, I haven't seen any posts from megan in a while. Wonder how she and her HOA are getting along. She was doing some major reshuffleing from front to back.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:38 am