Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sanderson Today at 12:14 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:05 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:32 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:38 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with Mel's Mix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with Mel's Mix

Post  Homekeeper on 4/23/2011, 2:19 am

I mixed up all the peat moss, vermiculite and varied composts and as we filled our 2 beds, we realized there was not enough mix to fill them. So we measured the boxes and they are actually 4.5 x 4.5. Now, the sqf garden kit said it was a 4x4 bed but obviously it was actually bigger.

What do we do now to fill the rest of the beds? Would I just go buy some more compost and put it in and mix it all up? I was thinking of buying 3-4 more bags of compost and mixing it in with a shovel or rake?

Also, the lath boards do not fit our boxes since they are not really 4x4 beds. Now I'm scrambling for a substitution, any suggestions?

Homekeeper

Female Posts : 70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with Mel's Mix

Post  shannon1 on 4/23/2011, 3:07 am

I would mix up more MM and use nylon cord for grid. If topping off with MM is not an option I have read other threads where people used compost mixed in to top off their boxes. I think I will be in the same boat and only had a little peat left so I went and got more vermiculite and compost so the remaining MM will not be a perfect 3 parts but it is a whole lot better than the soil around here. Cool

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 4/23/2011, 8:50 pm

Ok, so I must have been really tired last night because I measured my beds wrong. Today I measured them starting from the inside and they are 4x4. Razz

It still took 4 more bags of varied composts to fill it up to around the 6 inch deep mark and I actually found a new compost, so now we have our five in there! (steer manure, chicken manure, organic compost, mushroom compost and the new one - organic 5 blend compost) Laughing I accidentally ripped a hole in the weed cloth on the bottom when mixing in the compost today and hope all goes well with that - I folded that area over and put soil on it hoping it works ok.

Homekeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/23/2011, 10:29 pm

Common issue. A lot of us, myself included, measured correctly but the box still didn't fill completely. The volume dry and wet apparently makes a difference.

Don't worry about it too much. If you want to do it completely by the book, mix more MM and fill it to the top. I assume filling with compost is going to work....it just throws your thirds off slightly.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M on 4/24/2011, 12:38 am

In other parts of the world, Mel teaches people how to SFG in compost only, since they have no access to peat moss or vermiculite, but they can learn to make compost with what they have. It isn't as fluffy as the Mel's Mix, and probably doesn't retain water as well, but it's still SFG and it still works!

So yes, you can fill it the rest of the way with compost... just realize you might lose some water holding capability without mixing it with peat moss and vermiculite. Cool

Miss M

View user profile http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 4/24/2011, 12:44 am

Thanks for the replies, I just couldn't budget in another $35 for vermiculite and then the peat moss and compost too so I had to just go with the compost. I hope it works ok - seems like I mixed it really well because you can see the vermiculite all throughout. 2 of the composts had peat moss in them too, so maybe that will help out too.

Homekeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 4/24/2011, 12:48 am

You can add the rest later as you go. Vermiculite realy helps the compost retain water.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 4/24/2011, 9:42 am

When I was mixing my Mel's Mix the other day for my carrot box, I decided to try a little experiment. Some of you post about having difficulty with your mix and it seems in many cases that it might have something to do with the amount of peat. In the past whenever I used peat moss in my house plants, I always wet it before I mix it in with my potting soil. That is the way I learned to use it so that is what I have always done it when making my Mel's Mix.

So I measured five scoops of dry but fluffed peat moss in a large (Canadian) five gallon bucket. Then I added one gallon of water to it and let it sit for a couple of hours. When I mixed my composts and vermiculite I measured them out, five scoops of each. Interesting thing though, when I measured the peat moss now that it was nice and wet, I had over half a scoop left over.

All of this makes me wonder if some people are having difficulties with their mix because the amount of peat they have is too high. Now half a scoop may not sound like much, but that was only a very small batch that I did for my carrot boxes. In a larger quantity, that could make a significant difference. Add to that the fact that many of the composts have peat in them as well and a mix could very well be rather lean in terms of nutrients. No wonder Mel recommends five composts.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/24/2011, 11:19 am

@Old Hippie wrote:When I was mixing my Mel's Mix the other day for my carrot box, I decided to try a little experiment. Some of you post about having difficulty with your mix and it seems in many cases that it might have something to do with the amount of peat. In the past whenever I used peat moss in my house plants, I always wet it before I mix it in with my potting soil. That is the way I learned to use it so that is what I have always done it when making my Mel's Mix.

So I measured five scoops of dry but fluffed peat moss in a large (Canadian) five gallon bucket. Then I added one gallon of water to it and let it sit for a couple of hours. When I mixed my composts and vermiculite I measured them out, five scoops of each. Interesting thing though, when I measured the peat moss now that it was nice and wet, I had over half a scoop left over.

All of this makes me wonder if some people are having difficulties with their mix because the amount of peat they have is too high. Now half a scoop may not sound like much, but that was only a very small batch that I did for my carrot boxes. In a larger quantity, that could make a significant difference. Add to that the fact that many of the composts have peat in them as well and a mix could very well be rather lean in terms of nutrients. No wonder Mel recommends five composts.

Gwynn
Gwynn I think you are brilliant! And perhaps have hit the nail on the head! Well Done!! cheers

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum