Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:40 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:50 pm

» Mason bees
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Notice: Gluten-free Recipes Sub-Forum- Up and running!
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/22/2016, 10:39 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/22/2016, 9:43 pm

» What's eating my plants
by donnainzone5 10/22/2016, 12:30 pm

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 10/22/2016, 12:26 pm

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by AtlantaMarie 10/22/2016, 12:25 pm

» Shallots, Prisma
by AtlantaMarie 10/22/2016, 7:59 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 10/21/2016, 10:16 pm

» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by yolos 10/21/2016, 8:32 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan 10/21/2016, 7:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by CapeCoddess 10/21/2016, 4:51 pm

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson 10/21/2016, 3:50 am

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

Search SFG Forum

Source of compost. Will this work?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Source of compost. Will this work?

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/26/2011, 3:36 pm

Wendy really great news about the response of your veggies after just one day, so glad you are seeing a difference so soon.

It is so frustrating when you don't get the results you expected after being so meticulous in following the directions. Very glad to see the turnaround.

Looking forward to seeing new pictures in a week or so.

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort on 4/26/2011, 4:34 pm

@Wendy HS wrote:Just to send an update incase it can help anyone else from making the same mistakes.....
Try your best to find a source of compost that is homemade at a farm or somewhere if you don't have any of your own, try not to buy it at the local stores. I meticulously read the New SFG book, took notes, typed up notes, re-read again, looked at pictures, went online and double checked everything and then I went out and bought my compost from Lowes and Walmart in the bags. I found a variety of 8 different kinds and mixed everything correctly, but my garden was failing, things just weren't growing like they should. As I researched and talked with people here, I narrowed it down to lack of nutrients in my garden, even though I did everything correctly. The composts that they sell in the bags just didn't offer enough nutrients and my garden was suffering. I knew that had to be the case because everything I planted outside of the boxes in our existing soil was doing good. I did not do anything to the things I planted outside the boxes, we just planted them and put a little bit of horse manure and shavings (not even composted) and those plants are all growing and doing well. I ended up finding a source of homemade compost from a local farm and top dressed all of my squares yesterday and I can't believe the difference in just one day. Everything in the boxes has perked up tremendously. I looked over my garden really good yesterday before I top dressed it and everything was looking really dull and or dying, there was no beans on my bean plants and I swear there is a little bean already 1/2 inch long. The tomato plants were definetly dying and they are already turning back green and healthy. I am going to wait a week and then get pictures to compare the difference. Stay tuned. I am so excited now that I think maybe my garden can be saved!!!!!!

On another note - is it time to start the compost database? Smile

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M on 4/26/2011, 11:39 pm

Wow, I'm so glad I didn't end up having problems with my garden... I got most of my compost from Lowe's and Home Depot... but I did look at the ingredients, and avoided any that had peat moss anywhere near the beginning of the list. Black Kow composted cow manure, Black Velvet mushroom compost, Back to Nature composted chicken manure, Back to Nature cotton burr compost, and Gardenese compost & manure (ground and composted forest products, mason's sand, composted barnyard waste).

I got one compost at a nursery - the cotton burr compost, which I'm not sure is really that nutritious (just think about cotton husks).

After reading all of this, I feel like I dodged a bullet. My garden is going nuts.

A compost database would be great -- brand name, ingredients list, observations, etc. If it's measured by weight, then how did it work out cubic foot-wise, and so on.

Miss M

View user profile http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie on 4/27/2011, 5:19 am

@ Wendy

I could hear your sigh of relief from here. I'm glad to hear that you got a good source of nutrients in the end.

So far my ingredients for my compost blend will be my own garden compost, some old horse poo, bags of commercially produced organic green waste compost, composted horse, Farmyard (cow) manures, organic chicken pellets and dried seaweed meal. I know one of the bags contains 70% pure manure (I assume the rest of it is wood shavings or straw) but some of the bags are not labelled and I'll assume they contain peat, a peat substitute, shavings or straw.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum